If I wanted to ask Pres. Monson to pray and consider changing church doctrine, How would I go about doing so is that even possible? I strongly feel an aspect of the church really needs to be reconsidered And to make such a change will only benefit the church and the work.

Suggestions?

Go to your bishop first. We've been asked many times to go through the proper line of authority. President Monson is already under high demands, and he is not a young man. Can you imagine if everyone with an idea tried to call or write him, how that would increase his load?

Go to your bishop.

Go to your bishop first. We've been asked many times to go through the proper line of authority. President Monson is already under high demands, and he is not a young man. Can you imagine if everyone with an idea tried to call or write him, how that would increase his load?

Go to your bishop.

Thank you Eowyn.

Your response was far productive than my initial impulse to suggest asbestos underwear and lightning proof boots.

I"m kind of curious as to what aspect of LDS doctrine you feel needs to be changed.

I am torn between agreeing with you and decrying the utter futility of such a conversation.

There has been not a single instance in the history of the Church (in this dispensation or any other) in which doctrine has been changed.

Policy, on occasion.

Internal guidelines, certainly- but the wish/hope/desire that doctrine be changed to suit our whims is akin to wishing that ducks were made out of bacon.

It just ain't gonna happen- not so long as the Church is what it claims to be.

Well I thought about my bishop but I feel like I'd get a sort of jam up and the issue would die there, going nowhere. And since I feel it is a change that impacts the whole church I feel I should go to the top.

For the curious, It is my belief that the missionary age should be raised to 35 or 40. 30 is the new 20, and I think there are many older young men and women that want to do service on a grander scale, not just around our home wards, and who aren't married or interested in starting a family (or are not able to do so). Especially for us older converts... It feels like we get slighted simply for being unfortunate enough not have come into the church at a younger age. It's an experience we will miss that will always be a source of regret and alienation from our born in brothers and sisters.

I know, maybe I'm crying a little needlessly about it, being so new, but having had a chance to accompany the missionaries on a few visits with investigators, I know for certain it's something I desperately would want to do. I've already discovered institute but it just doesn't feel the same as studying to be a missionary and effecting so many lives and hearing their testimonies and stories. I just feel the age limit needs to be strongly reconsidered.

Hyena,

My ex-wife's granparents served three separate missions: to Germany, New Zealand, and Australia once they (he) retired from the Air Force.

So, contrary to what you might be assuming, you are not forbidden from serving a mission- but the Church feels (as a general rule) that our priorities between a certain age should be more domestic in nature (job, home, family, etc.).

I, too, converted at a point too late to be able to serve a mission: moreover, I married my way out of the opportunity (picking an LDS girl with three kids to make my wife).

The impulse is not uncommon among new converts- but the advice you've been given thus far is sound: this is a matter of policy, not doctrine.

Go talk to your Bishop (the First Presidency has been known to make exception where the Spirit warrants).

If the Lord truly wants you in the mission field, then he will make that will known to his servants.

Hyena,

My ex-wife's granparents served three separate missions: to Germany, New Zealand, and Australia once they (he) retired from the Air Force.

So, contrary to what you might be assuming, you are not forbidden from serving a mission- but the Church feels (as a general rule) that our priorities between a certain age should be more domestic in nature (job, home, family, etc.).

I, too, converted at a point too late to be able to serve a mission: moreover, I married my way out of the opportunity (picking an LDS girl with three kids to make my wife).

The impulse is not uncommon among new converts- but the advice you've been given thus far is sound: this is a matter of policy, not doctrine.

Go talk to your Bishop (the First Presidency has been known to make exception where the Spirit warrants).

If the Lord truly wants you in the mission field, then he will make that will known to his servants.

There is an age limit however for single men. Also I don't hear of men going on a mission as a single later in life. Always as couples.

For the curious, It is my belief that the missionary age should be raised to 35 or 40. 30 is the new 20, and I think there are many older young men and women that want to do service on a grander scale, not just around our home wards, and who aren't married or interested in starting a family (or are not able to do so).

Are you solely interested in a full time proselytizing mission, or would some other opportunity interest you? Here's a link to the church's "Church Service Missionary" page -- maybe there is an opportunity there https://www.lds.org/callings/missionary/church-service?lang=eng

Not every man or woman is guaranteed to live to a ripe old age. So many of us who were able bodied now and will never have the opportunity to serve a mission it just feels unfair and saddening.

None of us is guaranteed even one more breath.

By that standard, it seems to me to be more important to make the most of what we have been given instead of worrying about what we haven't...

Did you ever hear the joke about the farmer on the Missouri River?

Told that the river was rising and that he and his needed to evacuate he replied, "Nope. The Lord's gonna take care of me."

When the river was at his porch- and his farm underwater, the neighbors came by in a rowboat and asked him to leave. "Nope," he replied. "The Lord's gonna take care of me."

As night fell and the water reached his roof, the neighbors returned and begged him to leave. "Nope," he replied. "The Lord's gonna take care of me."

At midnight, a search amd rescue helicopter found the farmer perched at the top of his chimney and threw him a rope. Still the farmer refused to leave, insisting, "The Lord's gonna take care of me."

Right around three a.m., the farmer found himself standing before the Lord dripping wet and soaked to the gills.

Sputtering in shock, the farmed demanded, "Lord! You said you'd take care of me!"

Replied the Lord, "I sent you two boats and a helicopter! What more did you want!?"

While I understand your righteous desire to share the word of God, it is foolish for you to overlook the opportunities you have been given while awaiting his word and will.

You don't have to be sent to the MTC to do a mission. There is a Mission for every ward/branch and a Ward Missionary is called out of the ward membership. You can volunteer for this calling.

But, even then, we go by the principle that "Every Member a Missionary". We are all encouraged to serve a mission within our sphere of influence.

For those who are married, their highest mission is to raise their children in the gospel. For those who do not have children, their highest mission is to spread the gospel and testify of Christ in their families, neighborhood, etc.

I suggest you approach your Ward Mission Leader or the Missionaries assigned to your area and ask them what you need to do to work in the mission.

I think Hyena is just lamenting the fact that he can't serve a full time mission as the younger men do. I can understand that.

In my understanding, this is more than just lamenting the fact. Hyena expressed a need to actively do something so the rules can change so he can serve. We're giving him some ideas on how he can fill this need to serve within the rule boundaries.

In my understanding, this is more than just lamenting the fact. Hyena expressed a need to actively do something so the rules can change so he can serve. We're giving him some ideas on how he can fill this need to serve within the rule boundaries.

Totally understand that. But I just didn't want to appear that we don't understand the strong feelings he is feeling right now as a new convert in wanting to serve a full time mission and not being able to do so.

I can relate to that too for I felt exactly the same. In returning to the church I yearned exceedingly to serve a mission. Having passed the normal age an exception was not made and it saddened me.

Elder Bruce R. McConkie (1915–85) counseled: “The most important single thing that any Latter-day Saint ever does in this world is to marry the right person, in the right place, by the right authority.” “Agency or Inspiration?” New Era, Jan. 1975, 38.

The way I looked at it was this:

Did the Lord know I wanted to serve? Yes.

Did my Stake President? Yes.

Did my Bishop? Yes.

Could they say now is not the right time in error? Yes.

Did I raise my hand to uphold these men? Yes.

If it's important to the Lord, could he have changed their decision? Yes.

Will the Lord bless me for upholding my priesthood leaders even when their decision is contrary to the yearnings of my heart? Yes.

Now the focus flips to marriage. I was promised I would serve but it appears to be with my future wife in the future. Hope this helped =).

Hyena, I am not sure I can express the need for good member missionaries in wards. Yes, serving as a full time missionary brings great joy. However, ask any of those missionaries and they will tell you that one of the most important things with missionary work are the members in the ward. They are absolutely necessary to move the work forward.

With your enthusiasm and willingness, you can be a great tool for the missionaries in the work. You have the same ability and resources that missionaries use in their work. Scriptures, Preach My Gospel book, Holy Spirit, dedicated time to study--those are how the missionaries know how to work. The weeks in the MTC is used primarily to either teach a foreign language or prepare them to give up personal pursuits/interests.

Talk to your bishop. Exceptions can be made for people and you may qualify to serve a full time mission. However, as others have said, we don't want you to be disappointed if you are not asked to serve a mission full time. But, please know, you are NEEDED in the work. Your work with the missionaries (going on splits, going with them to appointments, helping with the investigators/new converts) is vital to the work.

It's rare, but it does happen. I personally know three people who served missions as single, senior-aged men.

I assume it could happen. As I stated I just haven't heard of it.