Drug testing at Young Women's camp?

NeuroTypical

I have a new YW heading to camp this summer, and my wife heard from one of the youth that drug testing may be happening at the camp. Does anyone have any experience with something like this? I've never heard of such a thing happening. Maybe on a troubled-girl-working-with-her-bishop-privately level, but that's it.

Ok, if she heard that from a youth, I would take that with a large grain of salt. I've learned the hard way that even the most trustworthy YW can get a story way out of proportion to the truth.

I would ask either the ward YW president or Stake YW president about that.

And no, I've never heard of that at camp.

Guest LiterateParakeet

My daughter will be going to camp for the third time this year, and I have never heard of anything like that. I would be offended actually. Our stake does do lice checks though. . .:eek:

Could not do it without written permission from the parents. That is a form of search that is unconstitutional without prior permission from the adult parent involved. So, I'm guessing it is just a rumor.

In before I could go crazy with the very idea of drug testing on a minor without parental permission. :D

• 1 month later...

ETA... Sorry to old-post. I must have hit the wrong button on my phone!

Or, not a rumor per se, but a Who's on First, What's on Second mixup.

For many states, anyone working with Youth in an official capacity has to not only pass a background check, but also agree to random drug testing.

While a lot of churches bypass this, through various legal loopholes, others do not (have those loopholes), or choose not (could, but meet state guidelines for a variety of reasons), or cannot (insurance, don't own the property, etc.).

So it could also well be that someone's mom was talking over dinner about signing the random drug test consent form... And it telephoned out until it was misrepresented as to WHOM the tests are given to (in theory, as most random drug screenings don't happen).

Edited by BadWolf
Doltishness