legal support from the Church

I am still trying to figure out how the kid got suspended. Let's say it wasn't for not doing the assignment, or even complaining about it, but for calling the professor unprofessional, etc. as I've read in some places.

This is not the first student to have an issue with a professor. Usually there is some kind of hearing, a formal complaint system, something. You don't just boot a student out of school for complaining about a class, or even for bad-mouthing a professor. It is all rather odd.

I agree with all of this. Something isn't adding up.

From what I heard about the case, and this is from talk radio, so take it with a grain of salt, but the lesson plan was designed to demonstrate the actions and reactions of protesting. In other words, the act was designed to elicit a reaction of defiance to authority, and then that was supposed to stimulate discussion about authority and defiance to authority. Apparently the professor didn't understand the purpose of the lesson. But again, this is hearsay.