• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fatima

fatima

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

My boys are in Boy Scouts in a Latter Day Saints ward. A campout has been scheduled for Good Friday through nighttime on Saturday. I was so surprised at this. I figured all Christian denominations paused on Good Friday, and while not all remember it the same way, I couldn't believe it seems to be "business as usual". How does the LDS faith remember the cause of our salvation during Holy Week?

#2 anatess

anatess

Resident Alien

• Members
  • 10640 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

My boys are in Boy Scouts in a Latter Day Saints ward. A campout has been scheduled for Good Friday through nighttime on Saturday. I was so surprised at this. I figured all Christian denominations paused on Good Friday, and while not all remember it the same way, I couldn't believe it seems to be "business as usual". How does the LDS faith remember the cause of our salvation during Holy Week?

Holy Week is a Catholic observance that goes with the Liturgical Calendar.

There's no liturgical calendar in the LDS Faith. We commemorate the atonement every single Sunday when we observe the Sacrament. We remember the cause of our salvation every time we pray in the name of Jesus Christ. And we follow the plan of our salvation when we make and keep our covenants. So, in answer to your question, how does the LDS faith remember the cause of our salvation? Every single time we take a breath in every single minute of every single day we remember who gave us life... we don't "need" Good Friday to do so.

Edited by anatess, 26 March 2013 - 03:55 PM.

#3 prisonchaplain

prisonchaplain

Senior Moderator

• Senior Moderators
  • 12261 posts
  • LocationFederal Way, WA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

Most non-liturgical Protestant churches observe Easter Sunday only. I recall some of my fellow evangelicals even being troubled by Gibson's movie because he focused on Christ's suffering, and supposedly did not put enough emphasis on the Resurrection. FWIW, I do find it spiritually healthy to reflect upon the Messiah's suffering and his passion. The humiliation, the beatings, the blood, the anguish--these all may the victory that much sweeter. Nevertheless, we always have to be cautious about presuming that other churches do as we do. They often don't, but have other ways of learning the same lessons.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." -- Lord Acton

#4 fatima

fatima

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

Holy Week is a Catholic observance that goes with the Liturgical Calendar.

There's no liturgical calendar in the LDS Faith. We commemorate the atonement every single Sunday when we observe the Sacrament. We remember the cause of our salvation every time we pray in the name of Jesus Christ. And we follow the plan of our salvation when we make and keep our covenants. So, in answer to your question, how does the LDS faith remember the cause of our salvation? Every single time we take a breath in every single minute of every single day we remember who gave us life... we don't "need" Good Friday to do so.

Do LDS celebrate Easter Sunday in any way that is different from other Sunday Sacrament meetings? What about Christmas?
As PrisonChaplain said, I know other denominations don't put the same emphasis on the Suffering and Death of the Lord as Catholics do day to day, but Good Friday I though was pretty universally observed in some way. Not necessarily with the fasting, abstinence and service that Catholics do, but...something.

#5 DHK

DHK

5,000+ posts and hasn't been banned yet...

• Members
  • 5564 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

Easter Sunday and Christmas (the Sunday of the week of Christmas) are generally similar to our other weekly sacrament services. The difference will be that the ward choir, and perhaps primary children, will sing appropriate music. But no, we as LDS don't observe "Good Friday". Typically (and I admit that this is my impression), most LDS attend church services every Sunday, and not just "twice a year" attendance.
"But make no mistake about it, brothers and sisters; in the months and years ahead, events will require of each member that he or she decide whether or not he or she will follow the First Presidency. Members will find it more difficult to halt longer between two opinions (see 1 Kings 18:21). President Marion G. Romney said, many years ago, that he had "never hesitated to follow the counsel of the Authorities of the Church even though it crossed my social, professional, or political life" (CR, April 1941, p. 123). This is a hard doctrine, but it is a particularly vital doctrine in a society which is becoming more wicked. In short, brothers and sisters, not being ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ includes not being ashamed of the prophets of Jesus Christ." - Neal A. Maxwell, October 10th, 1978.

http://speeches.byu....viewitem&id=909

#6 bytebear

bytebear

• Members
  • 2340 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

But LDS do celebrate and recognize Easter and Christmas as such. And we have the same cultural traditions, meaning Easter baskets, bunnies, Easter egg hunts, and Christmas trees, carols, etc. Several temples have nativities for the season. So we don't discourage or avoid the celebrations. So don't think we avoid or do not celebrate Christmas or Easter. We do. We celebrate both religiously and culturally, but my understanding is that the church has no true "Holy Days" as more liturgical churches do.

Edited by bytebear, 26 March 2013 - 09:26 PM.

#7 anatess

anatess

Resident Alien

• Members
  • 10640 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

Do LDS celebrate Easter Sunday in any way that is different from other Sunday Sacrament meetings? What about Christmas?
As PrisonChaplain said, I know other denominations don't put the same emphasis on the Suffering and Death of the Lord as Catholics do day to day, but Good Friday I though was pretty universally observed in some way. Not necessarily with the fasting, abstinence and service that Catholics do, but...something.

Easter Sunday and Christmas (the Sunday of the week of Christmas) are generally similar to our other weekly sacrament services. The difference will be that the ward choir, and perhaps primary children, will sing appropriate music.

But no, we as LDS don't observe "Good Friday".

Typically (and I admit that this is my impression), most LDS attend church services every Sunday, and not just "twice a year" attendance.

But LDS do celebrate and recognize Easter and Christmas as such. And we have the same cultural traditions, meaning Easter baskets, bunnies, Easter egg hunts, and Christmas trees, carols, etc. Several temples have nativities for the season. So we don't discourage or avoid the celebrations. So don't think we avoid or do not celebrate Christmas or Easter. We do. We celebrate both religiously and culturally, but my understanding is that the church has no true "Holy Days" as more liturgical churches do.

Fatima is Catholic (am I right?). Just like the celebration of the birth of Christ, starting with Advent all the way to the Feast of the Three Kings, there is a very special tradition in the Catholic Church in the celebration of the Atonement - from Ash Wednesday (40 days before Easter) all the way to Easter Sunday. This is completely removed from the secular Easter celebrations of Easter baskets, Christmas trees, and the like.

For example, Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are Holy Days of Obligation wherein Catholics are required to attend Church Services just like every Sunday of the year. And no, those who only attend services twice a year are what you would consider inactive members. Ash Wednesday has the tradition of putting ash on your head and Good Friday has the tradition of "kissing the feet of Jesus" among other things. There is no music on Good Friday service and usually Easter service is held as a cantata. There's a lot of stuff going on... one of my favorites is the Easter Vigil which starts the night of Holy Saturday all the way to midnight of Easter and includes the Service of Light where the Paschal Candle is lit (stays lit all the way through Easter Season which doesn't end until Ascension Day which is 40 days after Easter Sunday) while the Exultet is chanted and then the lighted candle is dunked into Holy Water three times... etc. etc. etc.

No, LDS do not have "special liturgical services" on Easter or Christmas. The choir or primary may sing special Easter Songs but it depends on each ward.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq