Whatever that Red Square

MorningStar

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an "equal" sign, for marriage equality. Proposition 8 is being fought over in the Supreme Court today. Here was my Facebook response to it this morning:

Kool-Aid is cheap, easy to come by, tastes good, and will probably give you a quick sugar rush. . . but in the end, it has no nutritional value and isn't good for anybody.

I'm listening to some clips right now and there's this argument that gay people are treated as second class citizens if their relationships aren't valued like marriage. So yes, this is about forcing everyone to validate their relationships and their behavior as normal. I will never call this marriage. I find it to be sacrilegious to label same sex relationships as marriage.

MorningStar, I hope you don't mind, but I kind of took your idea, in a way. I'm not married, so I don't have a picture of that, but I did put up a pic of the temple.

That should also quiet the people who are on me that I need to change my profile pic. :)

I'm glad to hear it! I really don't like to talk politics on FB, but people feel like they can rub this in others faces and that us "bigots" can't say anything. I was debating between the Family Proclamation and our wedding pictures. I decided to be more subtle. Doubtful anyone will notice I'm making a statement with it. :)

Good luck! If they're offended by a picture of the temple, who's the intolerant one now? :rolleyes:

We're talking about a few people who told me as an investigator that if I joined the church they would never speak to me again. Many of them have carried out that threat, but oh well, I've learned who my true friends are.

That's a really good article. Thanks for sharing

Why is the timing and placing of my post completely off?

We're talking about a few people who told me as an investigator that if I joined the church they would never speak to me again. Many of them have carried out that threat, but oh well, I've learned who my true friends are.

That's a really good article. Thanks for sharing

Why is the timing and placing of my post completely off?

I was trying to figure that out too! I rewrote a post and then discovered it in the middle of the thread.

Sad way to discover who your true friends are, but it's awesome you were able to stand your ground. :)

It is interesting that we're basically fighting over a word. If homosexuals had every single perk that a marriage does, only it is called a civil union, it won't be good enough because people refuse to call it marriage. It really seems this has evolved from, "We just want to live our lives" to, "You have to say what I do is normal and good."

Edited by MorningStar

Here's my take. There are no more sodomy laws or adultery laws any more. Essentially all cohabitation configurations exist. Any number of men and women can live together as a family with no regard to who is coupling with who. Aside from polygamists which are still rooted out for various political reasons, there is nothing illegal about claiming anyone as your spouse.

So, this argument isn't about freedom to love. It's about acceptance of that love by society. But you cannot enforce societal acceptance, and gay couples will be accepted or rejected by their friends and family regardless of the law.

That said, the law before the court is about granting equal benefits to same sex couples, but of course, in California domestic partnerships already were granted equal protection without calling it marriage, so it became a "separate but equal" argument. And of course this also leads to federal protections.

But here's my beef. What about people who want legal relationship protections without actually being a romantic couple. what if you are single but have a long term room mate who you want to share benefits with? What if you want to share your benefits with a sibling or other relative? Then the whole marriage protection goes out the window.

So, my wish is that the government allows coupling partnership benefits that are mutually reciprocal and exclusive (that is one person partners with another person and no one else) and you remove marriage completely from any legality. This has two major benefits. 1) it expands protections beyond romantic couplings and 2) it allows religions and private organizations to define marriage and declare it based on their own culture and traditions without government interference.

I see this ultimately happening when single people realize they are being left out of these benefits simply because they haven't met their true love. That or polyandry which opens a whole new can of worms.

It is interesting that we're basically fighting over a word. If homosexuals had every single perk that a marriage doesn, only it is called a civil union, it won't be good enough because people refuse to call it marriage. It really seems this has evolved from, "We just want to live our lives" to, "You have to say what I do is normal and good."

It's the same with every group that calls for equal rights. Don't get me wrong, I'm not prejudiced. But it seems with every group, they want equality, plus extra. Do you find this sometimes? (If I'm not making sense, just tell me. )

Here's my take- the term "marriage" has been more or less been redefined by the state to something that's essentially a civil union- the word "marriage" has been used simply because it's easier to say and everyone knows what it generally means. Where we get into trouble is when we have two groups that use the same word, but have different meanings- LDS and many Christians ascribe a more religious connotation to the word than a heterosexual atheist couple who is getting "married" do. The later is really what gay couples want, not necessarily the former. If I had my preference I would do away with any state involvement in the 'marriage' business and simply relegate them to handing out civil unions for everyone- that way marriage can stay in the church, and the legal construct of marriage can be accomplished with civil unions.

Instead of changing my avatar on facebook, I just posted a copy of the Proclamation of the Family. It states my feelings right there without having to say anything else.

I'm glad to hear it! I really don't like to talk politics on FB, but people feel like they can rub this in others faces and that us "bigots" can't say anything. I was debating between the Family Proclamation and our wedding pictures. I decided to be more subtle. Doubtful anyone will notice I'm making a statement with it. :)

Let's try this again...

My best friend is openly homosexual, and we both realize where the other stands. We have enough respect for each other to not try and force the other to accept it, rather, i just pray for her.

I'm waiting for the fall out I get from my college/non-LDS friends for putting something they see as horrible up on my profile. Then again, maybe someone will ask one of us why we put that up or what it means/stands for.

Middle-aged Mormon Man: Simplify: My Thoughts on "Marriage Equality"

Thought some might like to read the above blog.

For some reason i keep thinking about a part in the movie The Testaments. It's a conversation between Helam and his son, Jacob, that goes something like this: Jacob asks his father, "Can't you just be happy for me?" Helam says, "I am happy for you, but i am sad because that happiness cannot last."

For some reason i keep thinking about a part in the movie The Testaments. It's a conversation between Helam and his son, Jacob, that goes something like this: Jacob asks his father, "Can't you just be happy for me?" Helam says, "I am happy for you, but i am sad because that happiness cannot last."

How I love this dialogue between father and son!