• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mcgee

mcgee

• Inactive 1+ year
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:12 AM

Hey all! Hope your day is great! Thought it would be fun to share some good recipe's! I'm not much of a cook, I do the best I can for my family every night but I'm running low on ideas. Would anyone like to share any tips, recipes, YouTube video or recipe online they tried and loved? :) sick of the same dinners! We all know we love food, c'mon embrace it! Share it! Eat it! Missionaries are excited when I get baptized because apparently members of the church all being food. So spit 'em out! :) hehehe!

#2 Dravin

Dravin

Gneiss Guy

• Members
  • 13063 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:45 AM

Hey all! Hope your day is great!
Thought it would be fun to share some good recipe's!
I'm not much of a cook, I do the best I can for my family every night but I'm running low on ideas. Would anyone like to share any tips, recipes, YouTube video or recipe online they tried and loved? :) sick of the same dinners! We all know we love food, c'mon embrace it! Share it! Eat it!

If you don't mind, just how much can you handle in the kitchen? How I explain a recipe to someone who knows there way around hamburger helper and grilled cheese but not much else is different from how I would explain a recipe to how someone who knows more about cooking food. Also, what kind of foods does your family like, or won't eat at all? If you hate lentils with a passion then sharing a lentil soup recipe I use won't do you much good. :)
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

#3 mcgee

mcgee

• Inactive 1+ year
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

If you don't mind, just how much can you handle in the kitchen? How I explain a recipe to someone who knows there way around hamburger helper and grilled cheese but not much else is different from how I would explain a recipe to how someone who knows more about cooking food. Also, what kind of foods does your family like, or won't eat at all? If you hate lentils with a passion then sharing a lentil soup recipe I use won't do you much good. :)

I'd understand :) can always get it offed ad mobbed!

#4 Smudge

Smudge

• Inactive 3+ Months
  • 540 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:04 AM

I have been finding alot of recipes on pintrest lately

#5 Roseslipper

Roseslipper

• Members
  • 1440 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

1 chicken,clean it, in the cave of it put a little salt and sage, outside of chicken put sage and tyme, in a pan put olive oil and some butter, put chicken in and brown it, then u can leave in pan or put in a roaSting pan the chicken add 3 cups of chicken broth,a package of baby carrots, 2 cans of the small potatoes and a onion put on 325 degrees, bake for 1 hr 20 -25 min. this is easy and very tasty. if u want u can have a salad with it. I might be making this myself this weekend.

#6 Roseslipper

Roseslipper

• Members
  • 1440 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:58 PM

i love homemade lentil soup.....:)

#7 anatess

anatess

Resident Alien

• Members
  • 10640 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:50 AM

Here's a very easy one in the same level as hamburger helper that you can get done in 30 minutes flat (if the chicken is already thawed):

Go to the grocery store and buy these:
1.) 1 small package of Basmati Rice
2.) 1-pound boneless chicken breasts or thighs
3.) 2 tablespoons olive oil
4.) 1 Patak's Simmer Sauce (in the International Aisle). It looks like this:
Posted Image
This flavor - Butter Chicken - is my kids' favorite. They can eat a boatload of this.
Notice in the top of the jar label it says Mild. There are other flavors like Tikka Masala flavor that is spicier, just check the Mild-Hot rating on the jar to your taste. Make sure you get the ones that say Simmer Sauce on the jar. There are other Patak products that are in a jar like this that are not Simmer Sauces.
5.) 12-oz package of Brocolli florets
6.) 1 tablespoon minced roasted garlic (they sell these in little jars in the produce section)
7.) 1 tablespoon lemon juice
8.) 1 or 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese

Okay, this is how you can make this in 30 minutes:
1.) Cook the Basmati Rice by putting 1 cup Rice to 1.5 cups water in a rice cooker then you can leave it alone until it is done. We Filipinos eat a lot of rice, so my family of 4 can eat 2 cups of Rice for one meal. If you don't have a rice cooker, that's okay, it's not too much trouble to do it on the stovetop. Put the rice and water in a pot with cover and put on the stove on medium-high. When the water boils, take off the lid and let the water boil until you don't see water on top of the rice anymore. Then turn down the stove to medium-low, put the lid back on. You'll know when it's done by taking a small bite of the rice to see if the kernels is soft throughout. Usually, by the time the chicken is done, the rice is done too.

2.) While the rice is cooking, chop up the chicken into 1-inch cubes. Then heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and add the chicken. Set the stove to medium-high. Stir-fry the chicken until cooked through. Add the entire jar of Patak's sauce to the chicken and mix. Set the stove to medium and let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.

3.) When there's 4 minutes left in the chicken's simmering, put the brocolli in a microwaveable bowl with a lid. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of minced roasted garlic. Put the lid on and shake the bowl to mix. Microwave for 2 minutes. Shake the bowl again to mix. Microwave for 1 more minute. Check the brocolli for desired tenderness. Microwave for 1 more minute if desired. Take off lid and add 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Put on the lid and shake for 5 seconds to mix. If desired, sprinkle 1 extra tablespoon of parmesan cheese as topping.

To serve: Spoon rice onto a dinner plate. Put the chicken on top and spoon chicken sauce over the chicken and rice. Spoon broccoli on the side. It looks good and tastes good and the kids absolutely love it.

And there's your 30-minute meal.

Edited by anatess, 19 April 2013 - 06:57 AM.

#8 anatess

anatess

Resident Alien

• Members
  • 10640 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:00 AM

And here's my tip for getting kids to eat veggies. Put something they love on it. My kids love parmesan cheese. They can eat parmesan cheese sticks like it's candy. So, I use parmesan cheese on brocolli and so they'll at least try it. They realize the brocolli tastes okay and the parmesan cheese is still smashing, so they eat the whole lot.

#9 pam

pam

Keep your hands off my gumdrops.

• Administrators
  • 51611 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

No, but someone else might like the recipe.

#10 pam

pam

Keep your hands off my gumdrops.

• Administrators
  • 51611 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:25 AM

I have been finding alot of recipes on pintrest lately

Pinterest is awesome. I've tried several I've seen there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq