Photo
- - - - -

Sister missionary proposal, honorable release?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Treytor

Treytor

• Inactive 1+ year
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

I'm under the impression that it is common knowledge, although often unspoken, that a sister who has either put her papers in or is currently serving her mission may decline or go home early and honorably if she receives and accepts a worthy marriage proposal. Is this publicly documented anywhere? Thanks!

#2 Anddenex

Anddenex

Intelligence

• Members
  • 2886 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

Yes, this is true. A sister missionary while I was serving a mission had this happen. The young man sent a letter proposing, she spoke with our Mission President and she was honorably released. I know of another woman that this happened to also.

#3 Treytor

Treytor

• Inactive 1+ year
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

That's what I thought, thank you for the reply! I'd love a reference to where this can be found. Does anyone know where this might be?

#4 Vort

Vort

• Members
  • 10214 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

I have never heard of this, though it would not surprise me. Obviously, if a woman has not yet left for her mission, there is no big problem. Women do not hold the Priesthood, so full-time missionary service is not an expected duty, but something they can choose to do if they want to.
As if anyone could knowingly commit sin without being changed both in spirit, body, and mind. Let me say this again, sin changes who we are! --james12
Nice hand, friend, but those are not the cards I dealt you.

Impenetrability! That's what I say!

#5 Wingnut

Wingnut

A little nutty, with wings

• Members
  • 10410 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

I would think it depends on the circumstances. If the proposal comes from a friend or boyfriend back home, it would seem acceptable-ish. If it comes from someone in her mission field, I would think that there would have to be a little investigation done by the mission president prior to giving the sister an honorable release.

All this, is, of course, assuming the sister were interested in accepting the proposal and its timing, and leaving her mission early.
Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed. -- C.S. Lewis

If we're going to be stupid about this, we're going to be stupid on my terms. -- my husband

#6 anatess

anatess

Resident Alien

• Members
  • 10909 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

It may be common knowledge but I've never heard of it. I would think that if you promise to serve for 18 months that you do so with the best of your abilities and leave everything else behind so your focus is single to the task of the mission. But, what do I know - I'm a convert without daughters. A man in our ward waited for his fiance to return from the mission before they get married. She just came home and they're preparing for a wedding.

Edited by anatess, 24 April 2013 - 02:35 PM.

#7 Jennarator

Jennarator

• Members
  • 1877 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

It might be acceptable, but I would agree w/ anatess. A promise is a promise. I would have more respect for someone that waited. I also know several guys that waited for their girls. No big deal to wait, if it was the "right person" to marry they will still be the "right person" 18 months later. Only she will be more experienced with life and the gospel. It shows dedication and patience. Both people learn endurance the one serving and the one waiting. Seems it would make the marriage stronger, later. These are things everyone can use more of. Also, if she leaves, tho honorable, who's to say it would be easier for her to quite other things later....

#8 prisonchaplain

prisonchaplain

Senior Moderator

• Senior Moderators
  • 12373 posts
  • LocationFederal Way, WA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

I'm even one step further removed than Anatess (non-convert). However, since the sisters are not expected to serve, would they not do so out of a sense of personal calling? It is between them and the Lord, and it could be that youthful zeal can be retracted when one realizes the "calling" was just a wish, and the invitation to marriage seems to be a God-ordained and timed union. However, I would imagine these types of incidences would not be too common.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." -- Lord Acton

#9 selek

selek

Banned

• Banned
  • 988 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:29 PM

I'm even one step further removed than Anatess (non-convert). However, since the sisters are not expected to serve, would they not do so out of a sense of personal calling? It is between them and the Lord, and it could be that youthful zeal can be retracted when one realizes the "calling" was just a wish, and the invitation to marriage seems to be a God-ordained and timed union. However, I would imagine these types of incidences would not be too common.

PC, I agree with your general argument, but I would hesitate to characterize accepting a mission call as "just a wish" or "youthful exuberance".

I'm not suggesting that people don't accept mission calls for the wrong reasons, but I am convinced that they are a tiny minority.

As to the proposal and release- the matter would (ideally) be handled by all involved (the good sister, the Mission President, and other authorities, if any) in a humble, prayerful, and penitent manner.

Under no circumstances would it be treated lightly, or as some sort of "Get-Out-of-Jail Free" card.

Anyone- man or woman- who makes or accepts a marriage proposal (let alone who abandons a mission)- under any other circumstances should be forbidden by law from bying real estate- particularly bridges with a nice view of Brooklyn.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq