Has the internet affected the Church?

The internet helped the Church a lot and as you know, we make great use of it and other forms of technology but I sense that's not the kind of answer you was looking for. ;) I always say, if a member is interested in searching things we are not taught on Sundays, they will find and research.

News from The Associated Press

No more door to door? :huh:

I think they are onto something, most everyone has a computer, if not more (I myself own 3) and a cellphone of some sort with the internet... I'll let anyone know if any missionaries message my doll's account on facebook:lol: (I don't have one for myself)

I mean though people are far meaner online... it doesn't have the same sting as someone berating you to your face.

Even in my atheist days, I wasn't rude to them, I even read what they gave me.

Edited by Lakumi

You personally don't have a facebook account but your dolls do?

only one does, yes (its not as weird as it sounds... several of my friends in the ball jointed doll hobby do that, though its less of a fake profile as a page for their dolls, commissions and art)

with Clover its much more comedic, where I play the part... can't give it to any women who ask for it, but it keeps snoopy bosses out of my business:lol:

though to be fair, the BJD hobby in and of itself is pretty strange

Edited by Lakumi

only one does, yes (its not as weird as it sounds... several of my friends in the ball jointed doll hobby do that, though its less of a fake profile as a page for their dolls, commissions and art)

with Clover its much more comedic, where I play the part... can't give it to any women who ask for it, but it keeps snoopy bosses out of my business:lol:

though to be fair, the BJD hobby in and of itself is pretty strange

Probably doesn't sound weird to you and those that are involved in these but I will be honest...it sounds terribly weird to me. :)

More than weird...it sounds downright creepy.

that's little far, I fully admit I am a weird person, and have weird friends. I'm happy with what I do, for the most part. It does make the whole friendship and girlfriend thing hard but... I'd rather be alone and enjoy what I love, then have to be someone else to be with people I don't like- kind of off topic I know

News from The Associated Press

No more door to door? :huh:

Well, there's still a lot to be said for real "face time," but it's a lot more efficient to use the 'net to make basic contacts and answer quick questions. It can eliminate a lot of "windshield time" (or bike saddle, or shoeleather express, or whatever) when they're just checking in trying to set appointments too.

It can also be more convenient for the recipient; our local missionaries know that my schedule can be weird, but a text message will get to me as soon as I wake up, get out of the shower, get back into town, etc. and will almost always generate a response right then, while a voicemail will have to wait until I have time and quiet to listen to it. (My car has no A/C, and a fairly loud exhaust; listening to a voicemail at highway speed means rolling up the windows and sweating long enough to hear it. If it ain't from somebody who might be letting me know about an emergency with my kids, it can wait.)

that's little far, I fully admit I am a weird person, and have weird friends. I'm happy with what I do, for the most part. It does make the whole friendship and girlfriend thing hard but... I'd rather be alone and enjoy what I love, then have to be someone else to be with people I don't like- kind of off topic I know

It's not "far" at all -- it sounds creepy to me. It's also creepy that you'd rather have dolls than human companionship, not to mention more than a little bit sad.

Edited by Wingnut

Wingnut - Read and learn. It might seem a little less creepy if you knew a little more about the phenomenon.

To the point of the thread, the internet introduced the gospel to a Canadian Athiest Brony. Instead of being creeped out when he shows up, maybe we could be a little, I dunno, friendly?

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

It's not "far" at all -- it sounds creepy to me. It's also creepy that you'd rather have dolls than human companionship, not to mention more than a little bit sad.

I think this is a prime example why I don't generally like a lot of other people. I don't mind jokes, its a strange hobby, but to insult me like that... but it proves that in my experiences, people often are only nice when they think you fit their mould, but since my life didn't go swimmingly, I am now the freak, you think I enjoy all this?

I have never had a good relationship with anyone, and now at 24, I just lost all desire to try, though to be honest, I don't think you deserved even that little explanation.

What's more than sad is insulting another human being without provocation of any sort.

The internet has been called the biggest outlet for information and exchange of ideas since the advent of public libraries.

Has the availability and widespread usage affected the LDS in any noticeable shape or form?

I think so. Not only with Missionaries now spending some of their Morning time chatting with people that are interested. I think we see more and more data at our fingertips.

--- I was back from my Mission about 6 months, I was till only working part time, and it was summer so I had time on my hands (Should have been looking for a wife more). So back then chat rooms were really big. I can't even remember how but I found this young Lady on line, we started to chat using ICQ. (the good old days). after about 4-6 months chatting The gospel came up more and more, and I sent her stuff. I ended up teaching/Typing pretty much all the discussions. After a year of her studying, she started to visit with the Missionaries. I flew out to KY to give her the Holy Ghost. With how small the ward was out there, they ended up just losing track of her.

--- I'm able to download James E Talmage onto a tablet and read his books that way. Tablet and cell phones are nice but with out the internet they would really be what they are.

--- That leads me to use the Church's Apps on my tablet. I don't take my physical scriptures to church anymore. There are some down sides. But being able to highlight scriptures, and make "notes", and even do scripture links that are all available in the cloud. That will be there forever, or until the second coming. Also Manuals and the ward directory is out there.

--- I think we can see one thing Pres. Monson is pushing is using the internet.

The down side

---People need more information to fill the pipe line. What I mean there are now a billion blogs out there. People need stuff to write about to keep people coming back, so people just copy other blog to "report" on stuff. The bad this is a lot of it is just supposition, or their own ideas. Some of this is needed, and is useful, but when people start taking ideas and then start reporting it as fact is gets crazy.

So the church is out there more, but now you have to correct false data more often. But I do believe the Mormon church has finally become a main stream religion.

---Now people have to report on something that has gone viral. Probably 5 years ago you wouldn't hear about a lot of small things. But now because something goes viral, it makes that little thing big news. Even more it seems like people feel like they have to report on the viral item, even if they are two days late to the party.

Its funny when a news radio station reports on something because it seems like they have to, or they aren't getting it right.

The internet helped the Church a lot and as you know, we make great use of it and other forms of technology but I sense that's not the kind of answer you was looking for. ;) I always say, if a member is interested in searching things we are not taught on Sundays, they will find and research.

Heeey Suzie ;)

And what kind of answer do you think I was looking for?

If you know I want it, why not just give it? ;) ;) :)

--- I'm able to download James E Talmage onto a tablet

I bet he'd really appreciate it if you'd let him back out.

--- That leads me to use the Church's Apps on my tablet. I don't take my physical scriptures to church anymore. There are some down sides. But being able to highlight scriptures, and make "notes", and even do scripture links that are all available in the cloud. That will be there forever, or until the second coming. Also Manuals and the ward directory is out there.

One failing point here; most reading apps aren't well designed for cross referencing; switching documents is much slower than having 2-3 books laid out in front of you, or holding an alternate place in a book with your finger. Hyperlinks help a lot, but getting back isn't always as easy, and not every cross reference you might want is hyperlinked. I get around this by having my rooted Nook as the primary reading device, and cross referencing on my Android phone.

---People need more information to fill the pipe line. What I mean there are now a billion blogs out there. People need stuff to write about to keep people coming back, so people just copy other blog to "report" on stuff.

And thus:

Posted Image

Heeey Suzie ;)

And what kind of answer do you think I was looking for?

If you know I want it, why not just give it? ;) ;) :)

Lakumi is that you?

For me the internet has taught me many different things. Broaden my views on many different topics. I learned about Astrophysicist Neil Degrasse one of the best educators I think that exists today. Not "believe" but I think. Based on his work, and the fact that the man demoted a planet, pluto lol. I mean you gotta know your stuff to do that.

It also taught me about the universal common denominator churches had in common. A murky murky past. The list is long but just the few I looked up and that disgusted me: Polygamy with already wedded women, priests abusing deaf children, leaders of churches going to great lengths to hide their culpability even to the law!, segregation, support of slavery-how to treat your slave in the bible, torture, war, support of torture and war, child abuse and it goes on....

God always knew what was best for us, and it kind of sickens me when slavery/segregation it's just brushed away as something of the time, as if blacks at some time "deserved" such treatment... but anyways that's a biased opinion on my part.

Imagine being Isaac... just for a second imagine being a child and show some empathy. Your Dad takes you up on a mountain, ties you up real nice and explains to you how it's God's will but today... well remember the lamb what we did to it Sunday... yeah, you... you.. like lamb today. And that's just one of the many horrors stemming out of religion that I doubt I ever would have found out if Sunday school teachings were my only source of research.

Edited by TheBrony

Indeed. The fact that religion can be twisted into a powerful force for evil, is a major element of Mormon teaching, scripture, and even liturgy.

(Though I don't think that what Abraham did to Isaac is exactly "concealed" in Christianity. at least, not in Mormonism . . .)

Guest iwovu2
Hidden

"It can be twisted" I mean let me ask you something Just_a_guy (I would really like to pretend I'm someone else...but you guys are intelligent people and would figure it out anyhow so let me just continue the conversation until you ban me...) the LDS church investing money, investing tithing payments on campaigns to repress what women+women and men+men, whom aren't necessarily members of the church, do behind closed doors.

I mean seriously...!? Of all the matters that exists in the world i.e. catastrophes happening all over the globe due to climate changes, wars, famine ect... and what is most important to invest on is "can they legally do it the way they doing it, nuh huh!"

I don't like the whole gay phenomenon because partially I don't understand it, I mean why someone wants to receive a big long ..... is beyond me. I wouldn't call it something important enough to invest money of the church in though.

It's not that it could, was twisted. It is twisted.