Napping!

Backroads

So while Baby only sleeps through the night on occasion, she is in general a very good sleeper at night regardless (basically gets up once to eat and immediately falls back asleep), the day is a completely different story. Baby is terrible at taking naps! And she acts tired. Any tips?

Sleep is a hard one. Every baby is soooo different. I do recall phases with some of mine where they would only nap if I was holding them. They would get so tired and fussy which would exhaust me to the point that I would just sit and hold them. My husband would come home asking what I did and I'm like "I showered, dressed, kept the kids alive and fed, baby napped." That was a successful day for me because honestly there were days I didn't get the showered or dressed in. lol I know it doesn't help but sometimes you just have to sit and hold them.

Sleep is a hard one. Every baby is soooo different. I do recall phases with some of mine where they would only nap if I was holding them. They would get so tired and fussy which would exhaust me to the point that I would just sit and hold them. My husband would come home asking what I did and I'm like "I showered, dressed, kept the kids alive and fed, baby napped." That was a successful day for me because honestly there were days I didn't get the showered or dressed in. lol I know it doesn't help but sometimes you just have to sit and hold them.

Sometimes I can accept that I should just relish the opportunity to rock my baby. Other times, I think "I'm not working, I'm living with my parents for free while my husband is in training, I should make an effort to do more." Instead, with this baby, I should probably enjoy the free ride and let the baby nap in my arms. She is more prone to nap that way.

The feelings of guilt can become overwhelming. There is always something you "should" be doing; dishes, laundry, showering, grocery shopping, the list goes on forever. It's a very difficult balancing act, especially if you were used to getting "everything" done before baby.

Do you have a good baby sling, one you can wear the baby while napping and have your hands free? It will still limit what you can do but at least something can get done.

I recently learned there has been research done on the make up of breast milk. There are 3 kinds of animals (milk). Follow animals. Those are the ones that walk as soon as they are born and follow mom everywhere. Nest animals, the ones that mom leaves alone all day (wolves) and comes back to feed. Then there are carry animals, the ones that carry their babies everywhere they go. Ppl milk, nutrient wise, falls into the carry animal category.

Our babies are meant to be with us. They are designed to have that constant comfort and attention. It's logical that they would sleep better being carried than laying down. My first 2 I did a lot of sitting and holding, my others were all carried in a sling of some kind.

The proclamation on the family, reading what it really says not what we think it says.... the mother is responsible for nurturing her children. That's it. Not housekeeper, maid, cook, etc. Those things are important and someone has to do them but the primary responsibility is to the child. Infants need more attention than older kids. There is a time and season for everything, right now is your time to nurture that baby.

My kids aren't grown yet so I can't say for final "product" but I feel that the more secure an infant is the better everything else will be as they grow. If you can give that nurturing now (first 2 yrs, yes that's a long time) then they will be more independant and better adjusted as older kids. Personally I think it's worth it to put that time in now. So far I think it's working. lol

I know that doesn't really "help" right now. I'm trying very hard not to give the "I'm more experienced than you" annoying as heck answer....... "This is such a short time, it seems like forever now but it goes so fast." lol I'm not going to say to enjoy it because I know those long days and nights that just aren't fun, but know it is worth it. Oh and yes you have full permission to make me eat my words come Nov when I'm complaining. lol

You know the adventure movies where ppl go through some horrible experience and then look back at the end and say "Now that I know I can live through it, that was fun. Let's do it again."? That's parenting, especially with infants. lol

How old is she now, Backroads? I carried my baby in a Baby Bjorn during naps. A friend from church even made me this baby sling but I was more comfortable doing things with the Bjorn. Of course, since my baby was born almost 10lbs, it didn't last too long... he outgrew that thing quick. But, by then, I was back to work and the baby with my mother. She used a playpen for naps. So baby just played in the pen or cried until he conked out. Yeah, my mom is a hard-shell when it came to crying babies to sleep...

At my house we nap. I don't care how old you are ... 4 months or 40 years or 80 years..... we nap. :D

Now... babies are difficult. They do what they want regardless of what you want or you get to hear crying. An upset infant is not fun to listen to and an upset infant won't nap.

If she's napping in your arms while rocking take advantage of this time. It will fly by fast and the day isn't very far away when you'll long to be able to sit and hold her while she sleeps. Its hard to not feel guilty about ... well, EVERYTHING! Afterall, we are mothers.

Keep working on getting her to nap on her own, it will come with time and patience. Its sort of like getting a child to sleep at night: Put her down, she cries, go in comfort her, but don't pick her up, and leave - repeat as necessary .... keep doing that until she sleeps.

My 5 year old grandson naps great most days. There are occasions when we don't nap but as a rule we do. There are occasions when he refuses to sleep, then its quiet time on his bed while Grandma sleeps. No exceptions those are the rules. :) Even Daddy and Grandpa nap when they are home. Nap time is sacred at our house.

My sisters have done the same thing at their houses. In my family we all agree that naps are a necessary part of life. :eek:

• 1 month later...

So while Baby only sleeps through the night on occasion, she is in general a very good sleeper at night regardless (basically gets up once to eat and immediately falls back asleep), the day is a completely different story. Baby is terrible at taking naps! And she acts tired. Any tips?

Hey,, why don't you do one thing as you depicted that your baby sleeps a lot so while your goes to bed at that time you can change the nappy :) :) isn't??

I hope my suggestion would help you !!