Sacrament more then Once in Different wards?

alexgeorge

Somone asked me if it is ok to take the sacrament twice in one day at church? i told them yes, becasue it seemed alright and thats what i did on my mission. But it caused me to reflect upon a stake presidency member who only would take it once, even though he would go to several sacrament meeting each Sunday. I know the easy answer is "personal choice" but i would be really interested on any quotes from authorities on the subject?

Also that same discussion was is it ok to sustain people for a calling in sacrament meeting even if it's not your ward and your visiting? Again any quotes would be super!! thanks

I don't have an answer regarding taking the Sacrament but we don't sustain people if we are visiting another ward. Now if it is a stake position and the ward you are visiting is within your stake it would be appropriate.

Guest Doctrine

The sacrament Is a time to reflect upon The Lord, so when is it bad to do this, I hope never. The sacrament is symbolic of his sacrifice and helps with the spirit.

Also just a side note the sacrament is taken on Thursdays by the apostle before they began there meeting.

I don't see the harm in this (unless somebody is unworthy, then they shouldn't even be taking it once).

Like it was said the point of the sacrament is to bring you closer to Heavenly Father and renew your covenants with Him. Its not like you can over renew them. Then again you might be held twice accountable that week. ;-)

Personally, I think it's important that any leader who is visiting another ward, particularly if they are on the stand, that they partake of the sacrament.

1) It is a personal example given.

2) Why wouldn't they partake? It could leave others wondering what's wrong. That can be too distracting in and of itself.

Personally, I think it's important that any leader who is visiting another ward, particularly if they are on the stand, that they partake of the sacrament.

1) It is a personal example given.

2) Why wouldn't they partake? It could leave others wondering what's wrong. That can be too distracting in and of itself.

Only if people are paying attention. If the attention level during the talks is any indication, I doubt that they are.

Partaking of The Sacrament is an individual's own worthiness interview. If you were worthy at the 9:00 hour, and still worthy at the 11:00 hour, then you can take it. The only prohibition is for a baptized member to partake of it unworthily. It is for this same reason that there should be no effort to prevent a non-member from partaking of The Sacrament.

Partaking of The Sacrament is an individual's own worthiness interview. If you were worthy at the 9:00 hour, and still worthy at the 11:00 hour, then you can take it. The only prohibition is for a baptized member to partake of it unworthily. It is for this same reason that there should be no effort to prevent a non-member from partaking of The Sacrament.

Is that correct? That if you are unworthy you can't partake of sacrament?

I was of the understanding that you take the sacrament as part of the effort to be worthy.

If I am wrong, then I should not be taking the sacrament as I am not living true to the WOW.

Can someone please expand on this?

Taking The Sacrament is a final step to repentance. As you make small mistakes throughout the week, you repent and then comfortably take The Sacrament.

WoW is a fairly serious problem. I don't think I would be comfortable taking it if I hadn't sufficiently repented of it that week. However, I would also be cautious of judging myself too harshly. I would talk with the Bishop about it and let him guide and direct me on how to achieve repentance and when it would be appropriate to take The Sacrament.

3 Nephi 18:28-29

28 And now behold, this is the commandment which I give unto you, that ye shall not suffer any one knowingly to partake of my flesh and blood unworthily, when ye shall minister it;

29 For whoso eateth and drinketh my flesh and blood unworthily eateth and drinketh damnation to his soul; therefore if ye know that a man is unworthy to eat and drink of my flesh and blood ye shall forbid him.

See also: Gospel Principles Chapter 23: The Sacrament

This is from the LDS site:

"In preparation for the sacrament each week, Church members take time to examine their lives and repent of sins. They do not need to be perfect in order to partake of the sacrament, but they should have a spirit of humility and repentance in their hearts. Every week they strive to prepare for that sacred ordinance with a broken heart and a contrite spirit (see 3 Nephi 9:20). "

Bishop knows of my issues and has not advised me against taking sacrament.

I wonder if this is why there are so many inactive member due to the "all or nothing" view. It gives me insight into why my husband, born a member, is hesitant to attend sacrament and start the path back to church.

As a convert, I don't see everything so black and white, though that scripture (3 Nephi) is pretty clear and not exactly encouraging me to keep trying either!

Lots to think about now ....

I wonder if this is why there are so many inactive member due to the "all or nothing" view.

I think pride is a much bigger factor, though there is often an element of judgmentalness as well. There are a few people who get judgmental, but we do more worrying about being judged most of the time.

That is why the advice on these forums so often boils down to, "ask your Bishop". Whether or not a particular sin rises to the level of unworthy to take The Sacrament is based on many factors. (including the personality of the Bishop and how long he's had the calling) Even if someone else thinks you are unworthy, it's your Bishop who has the right to discern your repentance level and what is needed to help you navigate the path to full fellowship.

Please don't get discouraged by the process. It will be worth it in the end.