Tithing And Inheritance

trailrnr

I am with you on that one CK. Inheritance would increase to me and be titheable. I would rather error on the side of generosity than on the side of stingy. I live with the hope that The Lord will be generous too. :), you know overlook some things if I fall short. Doubt that he will if I choose to Rob God.

Ben Raines

The whole point of our offering of temporal things to God is to remind us where these things come from. The ancient Hebrews not only paid tithes, but offerings also. They also were to observe jubilees and sabbatical years as well. This and tithing was all done away when the new covenant was given. The Primitive Church did NOT pay tithes to the Priests. They lived the higher law, the law of consecration.

When the Church was restored, the law of consecration was restored also. Only because we cannot keep that law has it been suspended as in the days of Moses, and we are to again pay tithes in preparation to live the law of consecration wherein we will consecrate all we have.

Pay the tithes and the LORD will bless you with an increase, for He is the only provider we have.

-a-train

• 5 years later...

Hi, I am now facing this same choice. My husband said I didn't need too. But its definitely an increase, and in an eternal perspective, we can't take temporal things to the other side. The Lord gives us everything, including our talents, the way to make a living, the parents who raised us who died, who provided the inheritance. So thank you to those in this forum for helping me.

Thru long hard experience I've learned that I can't afford to NOT pay tithing.

I used to earn much much higher amounts of money then I do now and had lower expenditures and couldn't find enough to pay my mortgage every month. Since living the law of tithing I earn way less, pay almost twice as much for housing and am giving 10% to the Lord. I can easily live on what I have and have money left over. I can't explain it other than I'm being blessed somehow. I realize I missed out on these significant blessings for 16 years while raising my kids. My Father while Bishop told me once there were many very inactive members that regularly tithe to the Church. I can see why now.

If you don't feel like paying on your inheritance feel free to give it me and I'll rock it

:dude:

:money:

I have a rule I live by: If I'm not sure if I should pay tithing on something, I pay it anyway. There's nothing wrong with paying more than 10%. You will be doubly blessed in return.

No, blessings are not proportional to percentage.

Having said that, there is nothing wrong with giving extra, if you can afford it. (Proviso: If you are poverty-stricken, I would advise against paying more than 10% until you first meet your own and your family's needs. But if you have extra, then it's okay to give extra.)

What are your opions about paying tithing on inheritance? I'm not really clear on this but want to do the right thing.

Interesting question. Back when my wife died, I inherited most of her personal belongings, but she didn't have extra money in the bank. To be honest, I did not calculate the value of her personal belongings (like books, papers, clothing, etc.) and pay tithing on it. But then, I bought her a lot of that stuff in the first place, so tithing on that would be like double tithing.

If my (unfortunately non-existent) rich uncle passed away and left me money, though, that would be a good candidate for tithing.

HEP

@OP

Depends. What do you feel comfortable with. Let's illustrate...

Supposed one of your parents, a lifelong faithful member, pased away and left you $10,000. You know that they paid tithing on their increase throughout their life (in effect this money was originally tithed against and is a remainder) however, you have not tithed on this increase for you.

So you pay 10% or $1,000

Leaving you with $9,000

You have 3 children and decided to pass on some of this to them. You give each child $2,000 from their grandparents. Each child, also faithful members, pays 10% or $200 each. Leaving them with $1800.

Each of your 3 children have 4 children and they each decide to pass on a bit from the great grand-parents. They give each child $150 or a total of $600 per family. Each of those children, being young in turn pays tithing, or $15 for a total of $60 per family, or $180 total.

Your parents generosity of a $10,000 gift has resulted in $1780 of tithing or 17.8%, not counting the tithing that they originally paid.

Now some might consider that justification, they might be right. But I have also seen a wide variety of definitions as to what consititutes increase. Some say gross, some say net, others say that it is revenue-expenses that equates to income and thence increase.

The real answer is, it is between you and the Lord, and NO ONE ELSE.

-RM

Your inheritance is a gift. If you believe in tithing on inheritance then you need to tithe on every gift you receive. That is why I would say you don't have to. However, it never hurts to donate, maybe to the Perpetual Education Fund or Temple Patron Fund. I believe if I am liberal with what I have, the Lord will be liberal with giving m blessings.