Is a testimony a constant work in progress or complete?

I get so confused when thinking about this. Does knowing that the gospel is true equate to a complete testimony? Does having difficulties understanding, comprehending or accepting certain doctrine equate to a work in progress testimony? What classifies a testimony as a WIP or complete? My other thought is that if you have a complete testimony then you are in essence, perfect -- being that you fully understand and fully live by the magnitude of the gospel -- there is no further spiritual growth. Only thing is, none of us are at that point and never will be in this life. So back to my initial question.

I don't think, even when singling out a certain area that we can have a perfect testimony. Or if we can, for me that would be very dificult. However, that doesn’t mean that we don’t have a sufficient testimony as Miss Half Way said.

For example, I have always thought that I had a strong testimony on Prayer. I am getting ready to move to TX. I need some things to fall in place here in UT. And quite honestly, it has extremely tested my testimony in Prayer, Fasting, Faith in Heavenly Father... the list goes on.

I like to think of mine as strong or weak, like the roots of a tree. Not work in progress or perfect. Each root is my testimony of each item. For example, when tested, does our testimony remain strong, or does it begin to break? Are there areas, that when the winds of uncertainty blow that weaken the rest of my roots?

I have had a witness by the Spirit to the truthfulness of the Gospel. Does that mean I have a perfect knowledge? No. There are many things I don't know about the Gospel. I seem to learn more every time I study or attend the temple.

I wish, for me, that I was more like the Nephites in the Book of Mormon, after hearing King Benjamin speak, said: "we believe all the words which thou has spoken unto us; and also, we know of their surety and truth, because of the Spirit of the Lord Omnipotent, which has wrought a mighty change in us, or in our hearts, that we have no more disposition to do evil, but to do good continually." Unfortunately, I still have many weaknesses and have not always chosen the right path. Because I haven't always chosen the right path, does that mean I didn't really have a testimony? I don't think so. Even with a testimony we are still subject to temptation.

Is a testimony a constant work in progress or complete?

I get so confused when thinking about this. Does knowing that the gospel is true equate to a complete testimony? Does having difficulties understanding, comprehending or accepting certain doctrine equate to a work in progress testimony? What classifies a testimony as a WIP or complete? My other thought is that if you have a complete testimony then you are in essence, perfect -- being that you fully understand and fully live by the magnitude of the gospel -- there is no further spiritual growth. Only thing is, none of us are at that point and never will be in this life. So back to my initial question.

it is always a work in progress, at least till one is perfected. A testimony comprises of what you know, what you have felt and your faith.

Is it acceptable to have a testimony where you're working towards understanding and acknowledging the gospel but cannot say 100% that you believe it or that it's true?

If that has ben the extent of your experience than yes. I'd suggest build your testimony around what you've experienced in relation to the gospel. stick with what you've found out. If you don't think you have even that much then build it on the faith in God expecting that you will receive a more firm testimony at some point (and i'd also advise that case to constantly actively seek one... and the second catch is that after we finally receive a testimony regarding an aspect or more of the gospel is to continue seeking).

All I really know is that God exists that Christ exists and is his son and that Joseph smith was their servant and that the Book of Mormon was brought about by them. Now there are many more things that I believe that relate and build upon this within the gospel and church in which I've had positive experiences with but none so much as this, but I trust God will reveal the surety of their truth to me as needed and when I am ready . -this is the basis of the testimony that I have at this time and is what I pretty much stick to.