Why prophets?

Wow you guys took what I wrote and twisted it, just wow. I did not say anything about there not being any prophets, of course there were prophets. I was taking about a president of the church of Christ.

Who is also an apostle, which has the authority over the world, because to my understanding, the prophets only spoke to the Covenanted people.

Which is the whole reason The Lord set up the office of apostle.

Sorry Doctrine, but you have to admit re-reading your post makes it sound like only patriarchs existed and that prophets and apostles came later.

The first thing I thought of with the original post of "why prophets?" are the following verses in Enos:

"22 And there were exceedingly many prophets among us. And the people were a stiffnecked people, hard to understand.

23 And there was nothing save it was exceeding harshness, preaching and prophesying of wars, and contentions, and destructions, and continually reminding them of death, and the duration of eternity, and the judgments and the power of God, and all these things—stirring them up continually to keep them in the fear of the Lord. I say there was nothing short of these things, and exceedingly great plainness of speech, would keep them from going down speedily to destruction. And after this manner do I write concerning them."

We are not anywhere close to being a perfected society. We need the constant reminders to choose righteous paths. I'm grateful for General Conference, Stake Conference, Sacrament Meeting, Sunday School, Relief Society, Priesthood Meetings, Young Women/Men, and Primary that help us, no matter where we are in life to be better people.

This came up somewhat today. I know my thoughts, but I'm curious to hear from others. If we believe in personal revelation and acting with the guidance of the Holy Ghost, why do we need living prophets?

A large part of it is stewardship and keys, another major part is that a prophet can provide revelation for those who aren't currently in a situation where they are in tune with the spirit and thus open to receiving revelation. I tend to view wise counsel as an outgrowth of those two things.

I am going to offer a different view - not because I disagree with anything that has been posted so far. In fact I agree with those that have posted scripture - but I would add something more. In the scientific community there is a rather interesting and compelling analysis of complex systems called Chaos theory. Using mathematical fractals we can determine long term change to a system based on parameter relationships of various elements. In short by changing the contribution of seemingly insignificant elements the outcome of a complex system can be altered significantly.

With all this in mind - it is my belief that prophets are necessary to maintain an enlightened and stable society. Even if society seems for the most part to ignore the prophets. Like leaven in bread (or ingredients for a number of "things"), prophets influence, counter, balance and change the otherwise bitter consequences of a mortal society greatly dominated by satanic inputs.

I personally do not think it is a coincidence that during the "Apostasy" civilizations entered into a period of "Dark Ages". Not just religiously but in scientific enlightenment, social engagements, political recognition of individual liberty, educational advancements and even entertainment.

Without prophets mankind will spiral downward in and eventually destroy itself just as the Nephits did when they drove away and killed the prophets. Without prophets - even righteous individuals will be overcome, a firm foundation for righteousness will crumble and there will be no holy place for "good" to stand.

The Traveler