What makes someone part of Gods people?

justinc

I believe and suggest that the best answer to your question is in the example of Jesus Christ. I believe that the first principle (fruit) of a disciple is sacrifice. This is putting off the needs, wants, desires and entitlements of self - all for a greater cause. We all think of the death of Jesus as the most important example of divine sacrifice but I would add that his living sacrifice as demonstrated by his devotion to helping and healing others is perhaps a more useable example for us in our day and time.

I believe that the second principle (fruit) of a disciple is to covenant with G-d. Perhaps one of the best examples of this is when Jesus went to John the Baptist to be baptized. To covenant with G-d one must receive the ordinance of the covenant from a divine proctor - which is either G-d or one sent by G-d to act as his proxy replacement. There is no doubt that Jesus represented more divine authority than John but Jesus submitted himself to John who was serving as G-d's proxy as proctor of G-d's covenant. I always smile when many non-LDS say that they find the LDS doctrine of man becoming a G-d unreasonable in one breath and then in the next breath take upon themselves the title of G-d as the proctor of divine covenant and perform, as though they were G-d, the ordinance of baptism to establish what they think is the same covenant between G-d and man as was manifested between Jesus and John.

The Traveler

How does someone become part of Gods people?

In scripture I believe we are informed of three important matters which constitute God's people: obedience, sacrifice, and love.

Obedience is the first law in heaven, which ultimately leads to sacrifice and love for our fellowmen. In other words, the two great commandments.

Obedience was first shown in scripture with our Savior, as a young boy, at the temple when he said to his mother, "How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father’s business?" (Source)

As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we recognize the covenant we make at baptism which first introduces to the concept of becoming fellow citizens with the saints of God. Baptism is a outward expression of our obedience, sacrifice and love for God.

In conclusion, I would think however the first step is "desire," without desire to be apart of God's people an individual will not be concerned with obedience, sacrifice, or a love for God.

If you are asking about covenant people it is through heritage or adoption (conversion.) The abrahamic covenant can apply to all of abrahams posterity. Some when converted join/are adopted into this covenantal people when they make their own personal covenants with Him. After we have made covenants with Him we must do our best to keep those covenants and repent when we mess up. Part of keeping those covenants is to make His work our own through service, i.e. helping make our families strong, helping others, doing church callings faithfully, and most importantly His work of Salvation...missionary, temple and family history work.

How does someone become part of Gods people?

I think you answered your own question. You join them. You walk with them, break bread with them, journey with them.

Perhaps your real question is, "Who are God's people?" Sadly, for the majority of those who identify as some kind of Christian, the focus is on finding the right group and merely identifying with them. To really belong we must love one another.

Mosiah 18:

8 And it came to pass that he said unto them: Behold, here are the waters of Mormon (for thus were they called) and now, as ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light;

9 Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—

10 Now I say unto you, if this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being baptized in the name of the Lord, as a witness before him that ye have entered into a covenant with him, that ye will serve him and keep his commandments, that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon you?

I think of being part of "the chosen people" like this:

You apply to university.

You get in.

& Now it's time to work your tail off.

AKA anyone can enter, but then you have to do the work.

To me it matters not which university.

It's the work you do after you get there.

Q