49 replies to this topic

#1 pam

pam

Keep your hands off my gumdrops.

• Administrators
  • 51607 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:42 AM

For the first time ever, the Priesthood Session of General Conference will be broadcast and streamed live.

LDS general priesthood meeting to be broadcast live and online for the first time | Deseret News

#2 Just_A_Guy

Just_A_Guy

Semi-Senior Moderator, and Repentant Sea-Lawyer

• Senior Moderators
  • 8395 posts
  • LocationUtah County, Utah, USA

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:45 AM

In semi-related news, the Salt Lake Tribune is reporting that OrdainWomen's request for tickets to priesthood session was formally denied, along with a "but you can watch it on TV" assurance.
This is one of those days that the pages of history teach us are best spent lying in bed.

--Roland Young ("Uncle Willie"), The Philadelphia Story

#3 ZionsRodeVos

ZionsRodeVos

• Inactive 6+ Months
  • 195 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

My first reaction when seeing this - It's about time. I've been wanting it to be available online for years, ever since I was granted custody of my children and then found that for me finding a sitter that could come to my house that evening never worked out. Of course now my children are old enough that I can leave them home alone when I need too, but I will still watch online just as I do the other sessions of General Conference because it is simpler.
Robert

#4 pam

pam

• Administrators
  • 51607 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

LDS Church responds to priesthood meeting request by activists | Deseret News

#5 pam

pam

• Administrators
  • 51607 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

The intent of this thread is not to start a debate about the Ordain Women group etc. It needs to be taken in the spirit that it is given. That being said. What are the positive things you can see in an announcement such as this?

#6 Wordnerd

Wordnerd

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

I may watch the Priesthood Session Broadcast, or I may wait for the talks to be released as I usually do, and I welcome that it is more available to members of the Church that may have difficulty getting to a building for a meeting for whatever reason. But I do feel that, just as sisters have a reserved session that strengthens the special bond between us due to our unique role, brothers deserve their own session for the same reason. There is something special about gathering together that you miss out on sitting at home in front of the TV. I am very excited for my son and husband who are going to SLC this year for the first time ever since we converted to attend priesthood session, I would hate to see it marred by protestors, no matter how well-intentioned they believe themselves to be.

#7 LittleWyvern

LittleWyvern

• Inactive 1+ months.
  • 1586 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

What are the positive things you can see in an announcement such as this?

The first thing I thought of is that it's going to be way easier to get stuff set up in Church buildings. Now we don't have to wait forever for someone in the ward to figure out how to work the satellite while we miss the first 15 minutes of priesthood meeting. Even I could get it up and running if it's just connecting to a web stream. :P

قُل لَّوْ كَانَ الْبَحْرُ مِدَادًا لِّكَلِمَاتِ رَبِّي لَنَفِدَ الْبَحْرُ قَبْلَ أَن تَنفَدَ كَلِمَاتُ رَبِّي وَلَوْ جِئْنَا بِمِثْلِهِ مَدَدًا

If the ocean were ink wherewith to write the words of God, sooner would the ocean be exhausted than the words of God, even if another ocean was added for its aid.

#8 Just_A_Guy

Just_A_Guy

Semi-Senior Moderator, and Repentant Sea-Lawyer

• Senior Moderators
  • 8395 posts
  • LocationUtah County, Utah, USA

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

I had a seminary classmate back in the late '90s who claimed she had been visiting family in Nevada during a conference, and that the local cable provider there also televised the priesthood session. I've been scratching my head over that one for years. At any rate: I'm glad it's going to be televised. But it'll be a trial to make myself go down to the stake center anymore!
This is one of those days that the pages of history teach us are best spent lying in bed.

--Roland Young ("Uncle Willie"), The Philadelphia Story

#9 Vort

Vort

• Members
  • 10101 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

The intent of this thread is not to start a debate about the Ordain Women group etc. It needs to be taken in the spirit that it is given.

That being said. What are the positive things you can see in an announcement such as this?

When I was a kid and we lived out in the sticks, we often missed General Priesthood Meeting altogether. I suppose there must be many around the world (including in the US) still in that position. So that's a good thing.
As if anyone could knowingly commit sin without being changed both in spirit, body, and mind. Let me say this again, sin changes who we are! --james12
Nice hand, friend, but those are not the cards I dealt you.

Impenetrability! That's what I say!

#10 mnn727

mnn727

• Inactive 1+ months.
  • 2234 posts
  • LocationNorth of Dallas

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

I have mixed feelings about this. Yes it'll be easier, and more people will have the opportunity to watch it, however there is something to be said for seeing 600-700 Priesthood bearers in the Stake Center for Conference. You really feel you're a part of something big.
http://pawfiction.proboards.com
Worship without sacrifice is just words

#11 NeuroTypical

NeuroTypical

Senior Moderator

• Senior Moderators
  • 7419 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:49 PM

I remember back in the '90's, stringing AV wire across the house from the stereo to the computer, and then getting a low-quality low-bandwidth audio stream from my crummy dialup connection. It would fail several times through the broadcast. Not exactly a story like our great-grandparents had about waiting for the old vacuum-tube radio to warm up, but we sort of felt like pioneers anyway.
If I were rich, I'd have the time that I lack, to sit in the synagogue and pray.
And maybe have a seat by the Eastern wall.
And I'd discuss the holy books with the learned men, several hours every day.
That would be the sweetest thing of all.

Ohhh....
If I were a rich man...

#12 carlimac

carlimac

• Members
  • 1684 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:06 PM

The intent of this thread is not to start a debate about the Ordain Women group etc. It needs to be taken in the spirit that it is given.

That being said. What are the positive things you can see in an announcement such as this?

Which announcement are you talking about? You posted both the announcement that Priesthood session will be televised and the announcement in the DN that women activists won't be given tickets. Those are two very different topics with different answers.

#13 Roseslipper

Roseslipper

• Members
  • 1439 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

I may watch the Priesthood Session Broadcast, or I may wait for the talks to be released as I usually do, and I welcome that it is more available to members of the Church that may have difficulty getting to a building for a meeting for whatever reason. But I do feel that, just as sisters have a reserved session that strengthens the special bond between us due to our unique role, brothers deserve their own session for the same reason. There is something special about gathering together that you miss out on sitting at home in front of the TV. I am very excited for my son and husband who are going to SLC this year for the first time ever since we converted to attend priesthood session, I would hate to see it marred by protestors, no matter how well-intentioned they believe themselves to be.

i agree.....

#14 Maureen

Maureen

• Members
  • 6024 posts
  • LocationCity of Champions

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:13 PM

Are men allowed to attend the annual general Relief Society meeting that's happening this Saturday? M.
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who - is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are. - Milton Berle

Sound, balanced teaching is a must. Our default should be to partake. Our default should be to live in joy, not condemnation. Our default should be to love, not to correct, to encourage, not to criticize. (Quote from prisonchaplain)

#15 mnn727

mnn727

• Inactive 1+ months.
  • 2234 posts
  • LocationNorth of Dallas

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:33 PM

Are men allowed to attend the annual general Relief Society meeting that's happening this Saturday?

The Prophet and his two counselors are usually there, other than that, no
http://pawfiction.proboards.com
Worship without sacrifice is just words

#16 Wordnerd

Wordnerd

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

Are men allowed to attend the annual general Relief Society meeting that's happening this Saturday?

M.

Well, some of the speakers will be male... I think if there were a group of men publicly agitating for tickets to attend the session in SLC and planning to protest if they are not allowed in they would also be denied tickets, as there are a limited number. But I don't believe that has ever happened, I think in the past it has always been not so much an issue of who is "allowed" and more a situation where people want to attend the session designed for them and don't need to try to prove some point. I know that the only man I've seen at the Stake centre is the Stake President, and maybe a counsellor of his.

#17 Backroads

Backroads

Girl outside with book.

• Members
  • 6095 posts
  • LocationOgden, Utah

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

I believe that Saturday will find my husband sitting in his underwear eating a pizza watching the session. I do think it interesting that women can't attend (not that I fought for this) but can watch on tv, but I think WordNerd gave good insight on that.

Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket?

#18 pam

pam

• Administrators
  • 51607 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:44 PM

Which announcement are you talking about? You posted both the announcement that Priesthood session will be televised and the announcement in the DN that women activists won't be given tickets. Those are two very different topics with different answers.

I only posted the link to women being denied tickets because someone brought it up. The intent of this thread is to discuss the link I provided in the OP.

#19 Eowyn

Eowyn

Senior Moderator

• Senior Moderators
  • 6329 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:32 PM

I think it's great. I hope the General RS conference isn't far behind.

"Therefore, let us beware of false prophets and false teachers, both men and women, who are self-appointed declarers of the doctrines of the Church and who seek to spread their false gospel and attract followers by sponsoring symposia, books, and journals whose contents challenge fundamental doctrines of the Church. Beware of those who speak and publish in opposition to God’s true prophets and who actively proselyte others with reckless disregard for the eternal well-being of those whom they seduce. Like Nehor and Korihor in the Book of Mormon, they rely on sophistry to deceive and entice others to their views. They “set themselves up for a light unto the world, that they may get gain and praise of the world; but they seek not the welfare of Zion” (2 Ne. 26:29). (Beware of False Prophets and Teachers, supra.)

Elder M Russell Ballard

#20 pam

pam

• Administrators
  • 51607 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:03 PM

I think it's great. I hope the General RS conference isn't far behind.

This is streamed live.

2013 General Relief Society Meeting Scheduled - Church News and Events

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq