Anyone else cloth diaper?

Backroads

So I jumped on the cloth diaper bandwagon before my baby was even born and am really enjoying it. However, everyone thinks I'm weird because I use cheap flats and prefolds... and am perfectly happy with them. The other day I was buying a woman's stash off of KSL, and she couldn't understand why I would bother with those instead of the nice all-in-ones.

Any good reason why I should switch over?

Modern cloth diapers don't use pins, even for the prefolds. I used what's called a Snappi to secure the prefolds onto my kids. They're stretchy rubber T's that have plastic "claws" at either end of the T that grip the fabric and hold it in place. They were really handy and did the job well. :)

I switched to pockets for convenience in changing (they snap in place). It was easier to snap a wiggly baby into a diaper than try to secure the Snappi. :lol:

I had 3 kids under the age of 2. I never even considered cloth diapers. :)

Yep!! My girls turned 2 in May, son was born in June. So I never had just 1 baby in nappies.

I tried cloth only because I was given a heap, didn't last long.

There was a study done a while back that showed the environmental impact was about the same for both, once the cost of cloth was recovered, it was obviously the cheaper option, but it took until the second baby to happen.

We just told people to not give us gifts, just disposables :)

Yep!! My girls turned 2 in May, son was born in June. So I never had just 1 baby in nappies.

I tried cloth only because I was given a heap, didn't last long.

There was a study done a while back that showed the environmental impact was about the same for both, once the cost of cloth was recovered, it was obviously the cheaper option, but it took until the second baby to happen.

We just told people to not give us gifts, just disposables :)

My daughter was 21 months old when my twin boys were born. Plus I was working full time. I just didn't have time nor the inclination to deal with cloth diapers. I did use them as burp cloths if that counts. :)

I used cloth diapers. It was common in those days to give a gift of diaper service to new mothers, so I never had to worry about washing them, etc. After he was a few months old, I still used cloth, but would use Pampers if we went out as they seemed to leak less than a cloth diaper in rubber pants.

Today, if I had to wash the diapers, I'd probably use disposable, but wouldn't like it. I'd still keep a dozen diapers around for burping, etc.

I used cloth diapers for my second child. I did the safety pins and plastic pant type diapers. I liked them. I learned all the secrets; stick the safety pin in a bar of soap to make them go through the cloth with ease; I used vinegar in the wash to help with smells, kept them soft and absorbable. I bought this blue stuff that I would add to the diaper pail; it acted as a pre-soaker. The new style of diapers I am unfamiliar with but if they're cloth, I'm all for them.

M.

• 1 month later...

I must be old fashioned I'm still using pins and prefolds on my little ones cloth diapers ;). Though for the moment using all the disposables I got as gifts before he grows out of them.

Yeh but Amber you grew up in a family with about 30 kids so you are probably used to the cloth ones. :)

I had 3 kids under the age of 2. I never even considered cloth diapers. :)

My first two kids were in cloth diapers. Not because I chose but because that was what was available and affordable. Disposables weren't as good as they are today and they were expensive.

When we got my grandson, disposables were it.

What I didn't like about cloth were the rashes, the diaper pail, plastic pants,

sigh...

P.S. My dad read an article a few months back which said a couple of BYU students had found a bacteria(?) that would decompose plastics. So . . . this is good news for all those who feel guilty about the diapers in the landfills.

• 1 year later...