Tallit

Gerasim

What is tallit?

Edit: Just googled.

I've never used a prayer shawl. I've never seen a member of the Church use a prayer shawl.

The only time I've seen a non-Jew use a tallis is when they are visiting a synagogue, or in churches (very rare) where they take on Jewish customs, usually for rather bizarre reasons.

In traditional Judaism, you would find only man wearing tallisim. In liberal Judaism.....anything goes.

For some strange reason, I was watching Nancy Grace a few years back and she was thanking a viewer for sending a prayer shawl. I, too, had only heard of prayer shawls for Jewish men, but when I looked around, I found that some fundamentalists use them as well.

I've seen fundamentalist churches on TV and they seem to pick and choose from OT rituals/customs. I guess a prayer shawl is just one of them.

I went back and googled 'prayer shawl christian' and looked at this: Christianbook Home Page - Christianbook.com. Put Prayer shawl in the search box and be prepared to be shocked. I come from a liberal Reform perspective and I never heard of women wearing a prayer shawl. I kinda find this offensive. 'Messianic Christian' 'Queen Esther' shawls?? Just rubs me the wrong way.

Edited by dahlia

• 2 months later...

the tallis or tallit same thing is a prayer shawal its very symbolic do research on it you will find it very intersting. It might make u see the similarity of what we do. I actually have my grandfather tallis and the

bag or pouch to store it in.-----hint hint

Orthodox Jews use to well some still do wear something like a t-shirt kind of garment on the front on each side it has tzitzit as well as on the back those tzitzit or fringes hang out under their clothes. My uncle said his Rabbi wears this today, they just dont hang out like they use too.

Also the tallis when put over the head when praying is a symbol of a tent( meaning a temple in those days they had the wandering temples)Like I said there's alot of symbolic meaning. etc its very intersting.....

Edited by Roseslipper
added

• 1 year later...

I have read about it. What is the difference between talit and tallism?

טַלִּית

Talit in Hebrew.  The last letter is a Tav.  Ashkenazi/Euro Jews pronounce it as an S, but the proper (Sephardic) pronounciation is T. 

Taleism (Tal-Lace-Im) is the plural of a Talis. 

• 3 years later...
On 10/21/2013 at 2:54 PM, applepansy said:

What is tallit?

Edit: Just googled.

I've never used a prayer shawl. I've never seen a member of the Church use a prayer shawl.

One gifted man who used something somewhat similar would be a man named William Seymour..... I think that he substituted a cardboard box though to put himself into the presence of G-d to the best of his ability.........