Taking toddler to the cinema?

Bini

Has anyone braved this? Our daughter is two and is overall a well behaved child. She does good in public, specifically, at restaurants and just running around town with mama doing errands in general. She has recently shown interest and enough attention span to watch movies, all the way through, and seem to enjoy them. I would like to try a movie at the cinema but am still a bit iffy about it. I don't see her fussing or crying and disturbing other movie-goers, my concern is more that she'll get restless and lose interest, ultimately meaning that me or hubby will have to walk her around outside - missing parts of the movie. Advice?

I do not recommend taking a toddler to something like Lord of the Rings, even if you think they'll sleep, like one dumb inexperienced couple I know who shall remain nameless.

Do I know this inexperienced couple? :)

I do not recommend taking a toddler to something like Lord of the Rings, even if you think they'll sleep, like one dumb inexperienced couple I know who shall remain nameless.

When we went to see The Hobbit 2 there was a family that brought everyone related to them - their entire genealogy - I kid you not! That wasn't the issue though, the issue was all the little kids they brought along, including a very new baby that kept crying. The mother and grandmother crawled across everyone, coming and going, continuously throughout the movie and it was so disruptive.

Took a friend's 3-year-old to see Mulan at the theater. It wasn't until years later that I finally saw the movie. LOL. Yeah, she fussed and whined throughout the movie so we sat in the hallway until the movie was over.

In today's world of 80-inch TVs, I wouldn't bother taking a toddler to the movies unless I'm willing to walk out of it at any time.

By the way, you can either get your ticket refunded or get a free movie pass if you walk out in the middle of a show. Just go to the customer service counter with your ticket stub.

Took a friend's 3-year-old to see Mulan at the theater. It wasn't until years later that I finally saw the movie. LOL. Yeah, she fussed and whined throughout the movie so we sat in the hallway until the movie was over.

In today's world of 80-inch TVs, I wouldn't bother taking a toddler to the movies unless I'm willing to walk out of it at any time.

By the way, you can either get your ticket refunded or get a free movie pass if you walk out in the middle of a show. Just go to the customer service counter with your ticket stub.

It's more about getting her out and exposing her to something new.

It's more about getting her out and exposing her to something new.

Which is cool... but movies is a dodgy one - coz there are a lot of people that are going to be disrupted if the toddler cries/giggles/fusses/whatever cute things toddlers do that aren't so cute in a movie theater... even for movies like Ice Age or Frozen, although, most of the people watching those movies are a lot more forgiving.

Which is cool... but movies is a dodgy one - coz there are a lot of people that are going to be disrupted if the toddler cries/giggles/fusses/whatever cute things toddlers do that aren't so cute in a movie theater... even for movies like Ice Age or Frozen, although, most of the people watching those movies are a lot more forgiving.

Not to mention the whole attention-span issue for a toddler.

And you have to think of the others in the theater that paid to see the movie. They want to see it without fussy and whining babies and toddlers. Many theaters are not cheap these days.

Anyone that's read my posts on unruly children know my feelings on it. I don't tolerate it. Needless to say, I would never consider taking my daughter somewhere that is designated as a "quiet" place if I know she struggles with using an indoor voice, or is at all fussy. So I agree 100% - amen amen - with everyone making points on that.

My two year old granddaughter (turned 2 end of September) sat through "Frozen". She loved it. It totally depends on the child. I would try it, and if it's a disaster wait awhile longer before trying it again.

Classylady, this is where my daughter currently is. She will sit through an entire animated movie without a peep at home. In fact, she will sit through a couple animated movies in a row, and not move a muscle from the sofa. So this tells me that she could be ready for a movie-going experience. I like Eowyn's idea of just going to a dollar cinema for a trial run. Like I said earlier, not worried about her fussing or whining, the only concern was that we'd get there and she'd just be uninterested. And when she's uninterested she gets antsy, shifting around in her seat before crawling on top of me, which isn't noisy but sure is uncomfortable.

Anyone that's read my posts on unruly children know my feelings on it. I don't tolerate it. Needless to say, I would never consider taking my daughter somewhere that is designated as a "quiet" place if I know she struggles with using an indoor voice, or is at all fussy. So I agree 100% - amen amen - with everyone making points on that.

Classylady, this is where my daughter currently is. She will sit through an entire animated movie without a peep at home. In fact, she will sit through a couple animated movies in a row, and not move a muscle from the sofa. So this tells me that she could be ready for a movie-going experience. I like Eowyn's idea of just going to a dollar cinema for a trial run. Like I said earlier, not worried about her fussing or whining, the only concern was that we'd get there and she'd just be uninterested. And when she's uninterested she gets antsy, shifting around in her seat before crawling on top of me, which isn't noisy but sure is uncomfortable.

My opinion - it doesn't matter if your kids are 2 or 20... one should be willing to walk out of the theater at any time if it is not working out for you.

I did not see Mortal Instruments past the first 5 minutes because we had to walk out of the theater because my 10-year-old kid couldn't stop coughing even with Halls.

Just go to the customer service station and ask for a refund on your ticket if your toddler gets antsy.

And you have to think of the others in the theater that paid to see the movie. They want to see it without fussy and whining babies and toddlers. Many theaters are not cheap these days.

This is a big factor in why I haven't seen a movie in a theater in ages. And it's not just the kids, at least as often, I find that it is the adults being loud and disruptive. That includes places like church, too.

This is a big factor in why I haven't seen a movie in a theater in ages. And it's not just the kids, at least as often, I find that it is the adults being loud and disruptive. That includes places like church, too.

I've noticed that in the type of theater I go to. When I go to a dollar theater everyone tends to be louder. But when attending a more upscale, it's usually pretty quiet.

Haven't done it yet. In another thread I mentioned we got hooked up with a Roku and right now she's pretty happy with all the kiddie channels that are offered. Granted, it's not the same as going to a movie, which I'd like to try but probably not until mid or later this year when she nears or surpasses her 3rd birthday.

• 11 months later...