The End is Near?

Traveler

This subject has been heavy on my mind and heart lately. Mostly I have watched the negative things that seem to be taking place in the world and wondering how much longer society can last. With this post I intend to highlight and focus on a most powerful and positive force beginning and in its infancy that I believe will be a most marvelous force for good.

When I served my mission I thought the sister missionaries to be somewhat of an embarrassment - kind of leftover sisters with not much else to do but go on a mission – because they were not close to getting married. Before somebody goes ballistic with rage thinking I intend to demean women; please hold judgment and read on. There were some exceptions among the sisters of my day that were wonderful and kind doing quite well. It just seemed to me that the majority of sisters just did not seem to be much into the missionary thing. But then there were a lot of elders that did not seem to have much vision in life ether.

Something has changed with the new missionary age to the call. The biggest change I am seeing is in the sisters serving. It seems as of late that my ward is for sisters missionaries only and there are lots of them. It would appear that with all the new sisters serving that we have at least one new sister serving each month and usually the first few week out – and an assignment to my ward is the norm. Bottom line I am seeing a lot of fresh new sisters serving. I do not know that I have ever seen missionaries quite like what I am seeing. Of course they are young, beautiful and full of energy and ideas – anxious to rise to their call. But they are also bright, spiritual and exciting to have around.

The latest sister I met last Sunday at ward council was only 2 weeks out, a convert (only member in her family) and only a member two years (from Florida and freezing to death in Utah). I was astonished how well she and her companion articulately presented themselves and their testimonies. They were full of confidence and a quiet strength seemed to rest with them. They engaged all the senior adults and presented individuals for fellowshipping for each of the presidencies. In short their spirit is having an effect in a well-seasoned, well-staffed and experienced Utah ward. They were not unlike the sisters I have been meeting and not so different from the young sisters our ward has sent. I have thought for some time I must be experiencing an extraordinary few. But I am beginning to think otherwise.

As these sisters serve they will change missionary work. And when they return home from their missions they will change their ward, stakes, communities and I believe the world. I believe they will redefine womanhood and feminism. I believe they will be an unequaled power for good, and for families. They bring a presents in their nature that will change the world in ways that never before have been witnessed. I am not sure what great things G-d has for these sisters in the future of the church – but I am quite sure it will be a very good, great and wonderful thing (or things). I am convinced these sisters will bring us all much closer to being ready for the return of our king. We are lucky to be here on earth to witness this.

The Traveler

Sister Missionary's Rock!! They always have. I'm glad you came to realize this... Elder's are great, but sister's have that extra special thing, and you have been blessed Traveler to have them in your ward. We get them every once in a while, surely not enough. With all the missionary's going out I thought we would get more sisters, not yet and it's kinda sad. Females, love different, usually have more compassion and are spiritual and some times more creative then the men. Nothing new about this. What I see now is our youth and ym and yw are more spiritually prepaid. He saved His strongest spirits for the end................!!!

When I served my mission I thought the sister missionaries to be somewhat of an embarrassment - kind of leftover sisters with not much else to do but go on a mission – because they were not close to getting married. Before somebody goes ballistic with rage thinking I intend to demean women; please hold judgment and read on. There were some exceptions among the sisters of my day that were wonderful and kind doing quite well. It just seemed to me that the majority of sisters just did not seem to be much into the missionary thing. But then there were a lot of elders that did not seem to have much vision in life ether.

The Traveler

Traveler, I served my mission back in the late seventies where many had the same idea about sister missionaries as you. I am not raging at you. I have met many like you and dated quite a few with those feelings too. Back then it was a common misconception, and it was a "battle" to overcome that stereotype. I served my mission because I was called by the Lord. My patriarchal blessing mentions that I would serve the Lord and many would join the church because of my example and testimony. As a sister missionary I was constantly scrutinized by the Elders and members. As I mentioned, it was a "battle". I think I was a great ambassador for Sister missionaries. I know the members loved me. I still have wonderful relationships with many of them along with most of the Elders and Sisters I served with. I even dated a number of the Elders from my mission after getting home. I loved the Elders and Sisters in my mission. I still do. To this day I pray for them. My mission was one of the greatest experiences of my life. It was also one of the hardest.

Also, true, I wasn't anywhere close to getting married at 21 years of age. But, it was a life choice. I didn't want to be married by 21.

As a missionary back then if a Sister missionary had a problem it seemed to be more closely scrutinized and more harshly judged. There were many Elders who also had problems, but they weren't so harshly judged. My mission prepared me to be a better wife, mother, and member of the church, just as missions are better preparing the Sister missionaries of today for their future lives.

I remember at the Language Training Mission (LTM, now called the MTC), that we were told as missionaries we were foreordained before our births to do missionary work. I believe with all my heart, that as a sister missionary I was called and foreordained for the work, just as my brother missionaries were. It is a sacred calling. A calling I am proud of serving, and I'm so grateful to my Heavenly Father and Savior for giving me that privilege.

Edited by classylady

Traveler, I served my mission back in the late seventies where many had the same idea about sister missionaries as you. I am not raging at you. I have met many like you and dated quite a few with those feelings too. Back then it was a common misconception, and it was a "battle" to overcome that stereotype. I served my mission because I was called by the Lord. My patriarchal blessing mentions that I would serve the Lord and many would join the church because of my example and testimony. As a sister missionary I was constantly scrutinized by the Elders and members. As I mentioned, it was a "battle". I think I was a great ambassador for Sister missionaries. I know the members loved me. I still have wonderful relationships with many of them along with most of the Elders and Sisters I served with. I even dated a number of the Elders from my mission after getting home. I loved the Elders and Sisters in my mission. I still do. To this day I pray for them. My mission was one of the greatest experiences of my life. It was also one of the hardest.

Also, true, I wasn't anywhere close to getting married at 21 years of age. But, it was a life choice. I didn't want to be married by 21.

As a missionary back then if a Sister missionary had a problem it seemed to be more closely scrutinized and more harshly judged. There were many Elders who also had problems, but they weren't so harshly judged. My mission prepared me to be a better wife, mother, and member of the church, just as missions are better preparing the Sister missionaries of today for their future lives.

I remember at the Language Training Mission (LTM, now called the MTC), that as missionaries we were foreordained before our births to do missionary work. I believe with all my heart, that as a sister missionary I was called and foreordained for the work, just as my brother missionaries were. It is a sacred calling. A calling I am proud of serving, and I'm so grateful to my Heavenly Father and Savior for giving me that privilege.

I do not mean to demean anyone that serves. I did intend to be open and accurate about a past era in which I lived, had experience and had thoughts and feelings about at the time – that since have been altered somewhat. I had hoped to convey through a dynamic of the past in a comparison to the present of a change that is taking place. A change that I believe is for the good. A lot of changes taking place in our society seem to me to be having a negative impact – especially moving forward towards a time in which Jesus will return. I wanted to use this contrast. I did not intend to portray that sisters in general did not serve a purpose for good. But I did intend to portray that their role as missionaries was greatly diminished at the time because of various elements and characteristics or our then Mormon culture.

I was an integral part of that time and like you I lived through it. There were some things that could have been improved and some things I could have handled better had I understood things that I do now. Without a doubt my feelings at the time were colored by my then recent experiences. When I was called to serve as a missionary I had already served in the military during the Vietnam era. I (and others like me) was not so popular at the time – perhaps even less regarded than sisters like you. I had already lost too many friends and I carried that burden wondering why I had been spared and they lost and why their sacrifice was so disregarded. One in particular that left behind a young wife and infant daughter – he was so close to baptism but he was also black.

Strange as it may seem – I intended that my mission would be my last act of service on earth. I had no desire to ever go home. Most likely if I had known you on my mission you could have helped me through that time. There was one sister missionary that did have a lasting and profound influence on my life but at the same time it was a real sacrifice for her and I will ever be grateful for the pain she endured on my behalf. Though we were close and shared a deep love it was never romantic and never intended toward dating. I could express my feelings and she would still express a gentle chastening love though my expressions were as painful for her as they were me.

Sometimes it seems to me that too often we get upset over the wrong things. And that if we would learn to understand the criticism of those we take as our enemies (because they say things we do not like) that we would realize that sometimes we value too much what we want to hear over what we ought to hear. If it is criticism of thing we ought to improve upon – we should listen and pay attention.

It seems to me that the missionaries of today are building upon the past in ways that we that served as missionaries in the past could not have done. In essence they are doing better than we did and I welcome that change. And it seems to me that the greatest contribution to this change is in the sisters serving. A change that inspires me to move beyond the past and the troubles I see looming at the horizons and try to be better today and tomorrow.

The Traveler

So,... are you saying that the sheer numbers of sister missionaries are a sign of the times?... as in the "end of days"?

I am saying that I believe the sheer numbers of so very unusual quality sister missionaries is without question a sign. How can so great a sign not be a sign of the times?

The Traveler