L. Tom Perry - Sunday p.m. Session

A team must pull together to maximize their ability.

Men and women who ignore the promptings of the spirit learn the natural consequences.

Be ready to receive the gentle tug of the spirit.

We must be sensitive to our spiritual bits.  We must be willing to alter our course.

To succeed in life we must teach our spirit and body to work together.

Each of us is a son or daughter of God.

There is no one size fits all solutions.

To succeed in life we must teach our spirit and body to work together.

Obedience is a choice

This may have been my favorite (perhaps 2nd favorite to Holland's) talk in conference.

I have long held the opinion that obedience is the most important principle of the gospel. Love God and neighbor are the greatest commandments. Faith is the first principle. But obedience is the most important, or key principle.

The reason I feel this way is because although Love is the greatest commandment, without obedience there can be no commandments. A commandment is something we must obey, including the need to Love God and our neighbor. Obedience is also the means whereby we learn love. It is it the means whereby we exercise faith.

We cannot, in this life, truly learn to love. Not like God would have us. Even the greatest love we will experience (likely with our families) is only a small taste of the love that God has. Because of our mortality and weakness, we cannot every truly love. Therefore, we have obedience. We may not be able to truly love. But we can truly obey.

• 3 months later...

Loved reading through this talk again.  The last five paragraphs in particular are absolute gold.

I love the idea that to combate the complexity (the oh so many shades of grey we mortals insist on bringing to everything) of today we actually need greater simplicity.  I love the simplicity of obedience and faith!

"Too often we think of obedience as the passive and thoughtless following of the orders or dictates of a higher authority.  Actually, at its best, obedience is an emblem of our faith in the wisdom and power of the highest authority, even God."

I love that thought.  It is how i've always seen the idea of following the prophet.

"Strong, proactive obedience is anything but weak or passive.  It is the means by which we declare our faith in God and qualify ourselves to receive the powers of heaven.  Obedience is a choice.  It is a choice between our own limited knowledge and power and God's unlimited wisdom and omnipotence."

Really amazing talk!