Ever been to Wyoming or Canada, eh?

Bini

My husband pretty much said he didn't want to fly wherever we go, so road trip it is, wherever we go :) Which can be an adventure in and of itself. I'm looking up some of the places in Canada mentioned and it's all so beautiful looking! I could live in Canada, I could!

Bini, if you decide to fly, you could fly to Calgary and rent a car and do the Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper area. This is National Park area so it will cost a fee to enter the park. But it is beautiful and May would be lovely.

This would be a great trip especially in May when it would not be that crowded.

DH and I took the whole family (7 kids) on a road trip that started at Great Basin National Park in Nevada.  We drove up to Jackson, WY, and drove through the Tetons, and then Yellowstone.  We continued on north and drove up into Canada, not going too far north, just Lethbridge.  We then drove through Cardston, down through Glacier National Park, and then to Lake Coeur d'Alene.  After that we drove to Seattle, and then down the coast to Mount St. Helens.  After that drove the coast of Oregon, Northern California and the Redwoods, San Francisco, and then came on home back to Utah through Reno.  Our baby was about 15 months old.  Our oldest was 18 years old.  Anyway, to get to the point, a road trip can be great fun!  The whole family enjoyed the trip.

When traveling with a toddler, make sure there are plenty of stops to let her out and run around.  Also, snacks and toys will help entertain her.  We had several cd's that we brought along, and you might want to have something age appropriate for her.  By the end of the trip our 4 year old daughter had memorized all the words to The Phantom of the Opera cd that we had brought.  I'm not so sure her older brothers and sisters appreciated her mastering all the songs.

Does your daughter have her passport?  I think it's needed now days to get into Canada.  (not absolutely certain of that)

Have lots of fun.  I want to go on a road trip too.

Yes Classylady makes a good point, all travellers require passports to get into Canada. Also don't bring guns LOL (not saying you would have just been watching lots of episodes of Border Patrol - a Canadian version of Cops that covers Border Officers; its a really common mistake apparently)

DH and I took the whole family (7 kids) on a road trip that started at Great Basin National Park in Nevada.  We drove up to Jackson, WY, and drove through the Tetons, and then Yellowstone.  We continued on north and drove up into Canada, not going too far north, just Lethbridge.  We then drove through Cardston, down through Glacier National Park, and then to Lake Coeur d'Alene.  After that we drove to Seattle, and then down the coast to Mount St. Helens.  After that drove the coast of Oregon, Northern California and the Redwoods, San Francisco, and then came on home back to Utah through Reno.  Our baby was about 15 months old.  Our oldest was 18 years old.  Anyway, to get to the point, a road trip can be great fun!  The whole family enjoyed the trip.

When traveling with a toddler, make sure there are plenty of stops to let her out and run around.  Also, snacks and toys will help entertain her.  We had several cd's that we brought along, and you might want to have something age appropriate for her.  By the end of the trip our 4 year old daughter had memorized all the words to The Phantom of the Opera cd that we had brought.  I'm not so sure her older brothers and sisters appreciated her mastering all the songs.

Does your daughter have her passport?  I think it's needed now days to get into Canada.  (not absolutely certain of that)

Have lots of fun.  I want to go on a road trip too.

Wow how fun that sounds.  I'd love to do the same kind of thing.

I spent four and a half months in Star Valley Wyoming on my mission, and I live in Canada  :)

I would agree that unless the road-trip appeals to you that you'll have more enjoyment sticking to Wyoming with only four days. I live very close to the U.S border just North of Montana and it is a 12 hour drive to Salt Lake City... most people I know like to break that up and stay somewhere in Idaho overnight as well. In this way you could spend all four days travelling to and from Canada coming from Utah.

If you do have any questions about places in Southern Alberta, I'll be glad to share my thoughts. 

Waterton Lakes National Park is pretty in about a month, but better later in the year around july or August. Banff and Jasper are generally thought to be best in the winter months when skiing can be taken in.

I believe you have nailed the best available - But May is too early for spring and summer conditions and too late for winter activity.  I also agree concerning Wyoming and Yellowstone for much the same reason.  White water rafting will not open in Wyoming until June and that is still during the high run off season that can be quite dangerous.  June would be better.

Waterton is the Canadian side of the US Glacier Nation Park and is the better visit than Glacier.  But again May is not the best time – at least the offseason prices should be discounted but outside activities with a child will be very limited.  But for May – maybe take a trip to Phoenix with a side trip to the Superstition Mountains looking for the lost Dutchman’s gold mine might be fun. :)

Banff is on our bucket list. DH wants to take me to Victoria someday. He says it's really beautiful. I'd be up for either! We were going to go to Canada for our honeymoon but decided not to go that far, and ended up in Leavenworth, WA. Beautiful area there, too.

Banff is on our bucket list. DH wants to take me to Victoria someday. He says it's really beautiful. I'd be up for either! We were going to go to Canada for our honeymoon but decided not to go that far, and ended up in Leavenworth, WA. Beautiful area there, too.

I didn't know any of those places existed in middle earth  :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.