LDS authors or at least authors with clean language

Uhura

I am having a hard time when I want to read something clean and would love a list of books with clean language.  If possible, can we start one, saying what genre they use? The ones I listed are my favorite type.

Anita Stansfield's books contain a underlying of romantic things but many of the characters have emotional problems, attempted suicide, overcome drug problems, etc. I would like LDS authors or Religious authors with clean language and show up in  their writings.

Detective/mystery/romantic combined:

Betsy Brannen Green

Cheri J. Crane

Gregg Luke

Anita Stansfield-favorite author of mine.

Terri Blackstock (not LDS but religious and language is clean)

Clair Poulson

Michele Ashman Bell

Jennie Hansen

Lynn Gardner

Chris Heimerdinger (spelling?)

I am having a hard time when I want to read something clean and would love a list of books with clean language.  If possible, can we start one, saying what genre they use? The ones I listed are my favorite type.

Anita Stansfield's books contain a underlying of romantic things but many of the characters have emotional problems, attempted suicide, overcome drug problems, etc. I would like LDS authors or Religious authors with clean language and show up in  their writings.

Detective/mystery/romantic combined:

Betsy Brannen Green

Cheri J. Crane

Gregg Luke

Anita Stansfield-favorite author of mine.

Terri Blackstock (not LDS but religious and language is clean)

Clair Poulson

Michele Ashman Bell

Jennie Hansen

Lynn Gardner

Chris Heimerdinger (spelling?)

You mentioned one I would have mentioned. Clair Poulson.

Posted · Hidden by pam, May 31, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by pam, May 31, 2014 - No reason given

Hey I could totally self promote here lol

I got a few books at least that are cool for LDS people to read (if they like fantasy)

and then there's some that aren't

Grace Livingston Hill

Julianne Donaldson

Sarah Eden

Julie Klassen

Louis L'Amour

Melanie DIckerson

L.M. Montgomery

Daphne du Maurier?? (i've only read one of her books, Rebecca, and that was many years ago but i remember it being very moody and mysterious with a bit of romance. i liked it. the plot had lots of twists and turns)

Dale Cramer

Karen Kingsbury

Janet Oke (I added her because my daughter loves her books- I could do without them)

Francine Rivers

Jan Karon

Debbie Macomber

Lauraine Snelling

I would also like to add Jeff Shaara.  His books do have some language and violence but they are very accurate works of historical fiction.  They are fascinating and give a deeper understanding of American history.

If you love Irish history a must read is The Graves Are Walking by John Kelly- keep a box of kleenexes next to you as you read.

First choice I am hoping you will give me: LDS authors and what genre

Second choice and third choice: authors with clean language, again why type of book and authors that are religious-for example the setting takes place in a Catholic home, or has Christian characters, or things like that.

Most important-language is clean. Thanks for the ideas. I hope you will continue to give me more.

Dale Cramer

Karen Kingsbury

Janet Oke (I added her because my daughter loves her books- I could do without them)

Francine Rivers

Jan Karon

Debbie Macomber

Lauraine Snelling

I would also like to add Jeff Shaara.  His books do have some language and violence but they are very accurate works of historical fiction.  They are fascinating and give a deeper understanding of American history.

If you love Irish history a must read is The Graves Are Walking by John Kelly- keep a box of kleenexes next to you as you read.

You did interest me, however, with your suggestion of The Graves are Walking.

I didn't see Orson Scott Card on the list.

Lots of good books there - even Mormon books - like Saints, which is a fictional story of a Mormon pioneer based loosely on the life his grandmother, Zina Huntington, the wife of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young.

There's a love-hate relationship between Mormons and Card's Mormon-books, though... I personally love them.

• 1 month later...

• I have a problem finding good, clean "adult" books, that don't swear, or 'talk down' to the audience by using simple language, but isn't like Stephen King or Richard Marcinko, who seems to feel the need to swear, and be graphic in describing sex and violence. Personally I would like to see some kind of rating system like there is for movies and video games, this way I would know what kind of book I'm going to read.

• I have a problem finding good, clean "adult" books, that don't swear, or 'talk down' to the audience by using simple language, but isn't like Stephen King or Richard Marcinko, who seems to feel the need to swear, and be graphic in describing sex and violence. Personally I would like to see some kind of rating system like there is for movies and video games, this way I would know what kind of book I'm going to read.

There's lots of websites that offer book ratings.  I believe commonsensemedia.org has book ratings as well as movie and video games.  I'm sure there's several others that are good as well.

I'm not as picky about books as I am about movies.  I feel more in control of a book than a movie because I create the image of the scene in my brain which is different from a movie where the image is fed to my brain.  And more than that, I can skip that scene altogether by just flipping through to the next scene.

I read Damien Omen and The Exorcist and they didn't scare me much.  I couldn't watch the movies.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I love Orson Scott Card (sic fi and fantasy), he is one of my favorites. But he does throw in some bad language occasionally.

Dean Hughes is a wonderful LDS author.  He writes a lot of historical fiction.

Brandon Mull (fantasy)...is also wonderful.  Some are calling his Fablehaven series the next Harry Potter.  He's LDS.

• 2 months later...

a book i really enjoyed was "Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions" by Edwin Abbott

Arthur C Clarke's stuff is usually pretty squeeky clean. while not religious himself you can find a bit of religious influence sprinkled throughout some of his works (I think it came from his wife).

Edited by Blackmarch

We're big fans of Brandon Mull and Shannon Hale, who are both LDS fantasy writers, but don't write LDS-themed books, per se (though both have strong themes of good and evil). 

I've also recently re-discovered Terry Pratchett, whose Discworld books are really funny and well-written. But again, it's in the fantasy genre, so it depends on whether that's your thing.