Hello, The Church, Dating & the UK Culture

Hello Everyone,

I'm 25 and from the UK.

Recently, for whatever reason, the LDS church has started to interest me. I don't consider myself religious but I suppose you could say I have lived my life in a religious "pure" way.

The idea of meeting one girl for life has always appealed to me and lately I have been searching, seriously, for a long lasting serious relationship...and I'm failing...big time! The UK's culture centered around drinking and hooking up with random strangers is totally different to how I live my life. The problem is where do I meet someone who shares a similar moral code as I do?...Which brings me here.

At 25, I understand most LDS members are already married and would I really be joining the church for the right reasons? Having already said I don't consider myself religious, probably not.

So basically I find myself stuck between a dating culture centered on drinking until your senseless or a religious road which doesn't immediately grab me. The result is I feel like meeting someone who shares similar views to me here in the UK is like searching for a needle in a haystack. I don't expect my future partner to be whiter than white but I would strongly prefer if the future mum (sorry mom!) of my children hasn't been sending naked pics of herself to everyone she's been chatting to on dating sites or where ever else! I know I shouldn't stereotype but from recent experience on dating sites sending naked pics is not only common its something that is seen as normal and kinda expected, as is meeting up for sex rather than spending time getting to know someone for a proper relationship. 

In a sentence maybe my views are too old fashioned for 2014 Great Britain?

I don't really know what i'm expecting by posting on here but it's something that's been on my mind for a while now and here I am. If you manged to read all that any comments and/or advice would be appreciated. Thanks and have a nice day.

If you are looking for a spouse who shares your values, then the lds church is certainly worth a try. At the very least you will meet people who have similar values. You may not meet the "one" but you may meet someone who introduces you to the "one". suggestion: look up lds.org, go to find a meeting, attend church, ask missionaries to introduce you to young single adult rep, attend activity, make some friends. Good luck!

If you are looking for a spouse who shares your values, then the lds church is certainly worth a try. At the very least you will meet people who have similar values. You may not meet the "one" but you may meet someone who introduces you to the "one". suggestion: look up lds.org, go to find a meeting, attend church, ask missionaries to introduce you to young single adult rep, attend activity, make some friends. Good luck!

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and your suggestion. It is something I have been thinking about but I feel going to church for the faint possibility I might meet someone in my age range isn't really what the church is there for? I don't know...

I'm currently in the UK, and there are many young ladies who are in the Church who are unmarried as there are a shortage of guys due to the culture of the UK.  The young ladies in our Church are amazing.

Why not ask to speak to the Missionaries and find out what the LDS Church is about?  Then you can make the decision to join because you know that it is right for you, and not just because you are looking for a decent young lady. 

Even if going to church services proper isn't your thing right now, you can still attend the many social/fun events the other LDS young adults do in your area to make friends and possibly a girlfriend.  You don't have to be LDS to be social ;P.

As to finding the LDS young adults in your area you could do it yourself by typing your address here (https://www.lds.org/maps/?lang=eng#ll=0,0&z=2&m=google.road&tools=help), or asking an online missionary to help you out with it (they're really good at putting people in touch) (link: http://www.mormon.org/chat). 

I'm currently in the UK, and there are many young ladies who are in the Church who are unmarried as there are a shortage of guys due to the culture of the UK.  The young ladies in our Church are amazing.

Isn't that a thing everywhere?

they also have egg salad and I've raved on Mormon Egg Salad before.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and your suggestion. It is something I have been thinking about but I feel going to church for the faint possibility I might meet someone in my age range isn't really what the church is there for? I don't know...

We would be delighted to have you on any basis. If you want to come to meet the young ladies, we could not be happier. You would be more than welcome.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

It sounds like not everything about the Mormon way of life appeals to you, but some aspects do.

All I can say is, that is perfectly ok. Great even,

You don't need to understand or accept everything at first glance. As a convert myself I can fully relate to that. Many of the things which I have a deep personal testimony of now seemed bizarre to me upon first hearing them. Many a conversion started as someone simply wondering to themselves "Why are those Mormons always so happy?" and becoming curious from there.

Il admit I almost stopped investigating for a month or so because certain things didn't click with me and I thought maybe it might not be a good fit.

All I ask is that if you do decide to investigate, go in with an open mind. Go in realizing that you may not "get it" when certain things are brought up. But find those things that you do get. Those things that you can immediately testify of, and use that to keep you going as you gain and understanding and testimony of all aspects of the gospel. Realize that some of that testimony may take years to arrive, only after you have faithfully lived that commandment and seen its affects on your life. Witness the effects that it has on other people, and use their testimony as a spark for your own.

Above everything else, if you have doubts, doubt those doubts.

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, Lostboy289 said:

You don't need to understand or accept everything at first glance. As a convert myself I can fully relate to that. Many of the things which I have a deep personal testimony of now seemed bizarre to me upon first hearing them.

AMEN. Exactly the same way I felt as a convert. What bothered me is that I didn't have anyone I could share that with in the ward because I was afraid they'd view it as a personal attack against the church. You are NOT alone on this.  

... I can't even be surprised at how fast we went to one of the many incarnations of TEOTWAWKI from the original post after the posting date was brought up.

On that note though, what're the odds of a zombie Apocalypse starting via digital virus that convinces everyone using a digital device to do its bidding and how would you counteract such a thing?

1 hour ago, Ffenix said:

... I can't even be surprised at how fast we went to one of the many incarnations of TEOTWAWKI from the original post after the posting date was brought up.

On that note though, what're the odds of a zombie Apocalypse starting via digital virus that convinces everyone using a digital device to do its bidding and how would you counteract such a thing?

Feel free to continue down this line of thought.

My post was more about a dead thread being brought back to life (and it looks like a number of them live again through the necromancy of axe-grinding). With so many rising, I just wanted to make sure someone was skilled enough to put them back down. @mirkwood already has a reputation for prepping for zombies and more (he deliberately does NOT include chewing gum in his supplies*). I thought I'd check if he could handle this too.

Image result for zombie thread

* That way he's always "out of gum".

1 hour ago, mordorbund said:

Feel free to continue down this line of thought.

My post was more about a dead thread being brought back to life (and it looks like a number of them live again through the necromancy of axe-grinding). With so many rising, I just wanted to make sure someone was skilled enough to put them back down. @mirkwood already has a reputation for prepping for zombies and more (he deliberately does NOT include chewing gum in his supplies*). I thought I'd check if he could handle this too.

* That way he's always "out of gum".

lololol