living near the temple

antona

We are thinking of moving within the next couple of years and I really want to relocate near a temple. I'm just really having a hard time deciding where. Of course it will depend on if I can find a job in the area and of course we will be prayerful. But I was looking for some info from people living within an hour from a temple. The closer the better. We really don't want to live in a big city. But we want to live close enough to have fun things for my daughter. Good schools. Low crime. Lower cost of living. I love water. We love green. We'ld like to live in the Midwest but I'm not sure there is what we are looking for near the Midwest temples. If you live near a temple, would you mind sharing with me why you live where to do and why it's the best place to live. Thanks so much! Antona 

We live about 14 miles from the Manti Temple. We call where we live "our paradise" because it is such a great town. Yes... it's a tiny place... no Walmart unless you drive about 35 miles and only a couple of gas stations and a small grocery store. But, the people are great and the air is fresh and the mountains are beautiful and the Temple is close. Plus the Manti Temple is one of the two that have live sessions. I love that.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

I suggest you look at *travel time* to the temple and not just distance.  Where I'm at, we can get to the temple in less than an hour on a good day but it can be double and sometimes triple that on other days.  Makes a big difference!  

I will also add that proximity to the temple played a role in where we chose to live but with how things have gone (the area doesn't feel like 'home', very transient ward, etc) and with the smaller temples being built now, it would be farther down the list of considerations because other things matter, too.

Good luck and I hope everything comes together for you.

I spent most of my life living within 10 minutes of the Ogden temple, and when we lived in Logan we were two blocks away.  Ogden, being Ogden, made that area weird until they put up the Junction, but I still think it was a fairly decent area for income and fun.

I live within about 1.5 hours of three temples. Idaho Falls, Rexburg, and Logan, and about two hours of Brigham city and Twin Falls.  When times were better, and I could afford the gas, my wife and I managed to go every week, even when our regular temple (Idaho Falls) was closed.  Once we get money again, we're going to start that up again.  Things went so much better for us when we were doing it.

Thank you so much for all of the advice. I appreciate it. I guess I just have to be prayerful and go where The Lord wants me. I'm praying it will be near a temple. Most of our kids and grandbabies live in the Midwest so we would like to be there. But we do have a child in Idaho and a child in Utah that have yet to start a family and we can't be everywhere. Then like someone mentioned, I have to find a job in the area. We'll see. Maybe we'll see another temple or two announced in the Midwest in the next couple of years. My husband wouldn't mind living near St Louis but it is such a big city. Scary to me.

Newport Beach, CA (or anywhere in Southern California that's not LA).  Yes, the cost of living is higher, but there are some afordable areas inland from the beach cities.  There are four temples relatively close (LA, Newport Beach, San Diego/La Jolla and Redlands).  I love the coast, and being close enough to do a day trip to LA or San Diego. And of course, there's Disneyland.

If you ever decide the Pacific Northwest is right for you, I would highly suggest the Portland Temple. It's beauty is unmatched, the only thing that comes close is when you hike up in the Columbia River Gorge and get to a high point for a view of everything.