Work or mission?

Janeliao

This is the thing here. 

I had an interview with the company that I currently work for at the beginning of this month. 

I told them that I plan to go on mission in the future. I wasn't sure when I wanted to go, so I told them that I would probably go within two years. They accepted the answer and really liked me so I passed the first interview. Then I had a second time of interview with the chairwoman of the company. I gave her exactly the same answer when she asked what my future plan is. 

After that interview, I had feeling that I wouldn't get accepted. Who would want to train an employee who's not gonna stay long? And I realized that it is better for me to go on mission first so then I wouldn't have this kind of problem anymore in the future. So I talked with my parents and they thought that sooner I go, better for me. So I changed my timetable. I decided to go mission first. 

Surprisingly, the company called and told me that they still hope that I can get into the company first and they understand and respect my decision of going on mission. 

So I went until now. 

The chairwoman talked to me again yesterday, she asked me if any thoughts changed? If I still want to go on mission within a short time? 

I answered yes. 

Then she told me that the company loves my characteristics and see my potential, so they  would like to give me a series of training, and hope that I can be a leader in the future to manage overseas markets.

But it will take about two to three years, then they'll let me go on mission and my position will be saved until I come back.

Later I thought two to three years are too long. I negotiated with my manager and she kinda compromised that if so, they still need a year and half the most. 

So she wants me to think about it. 

When I talked to her, she sincerely told me that the company really needs someone to help them because they've seeking someone who's like me and can be another leader of the company. They told me that no matter what I can still go back to the company after mission, but they hope I can help them out during this a year and a half. 

My thought is I don't want to change my plan, but I feel sad if I don't help them......

What would you do if you were me?

There is no question here in my opinion. You go on your mission and you trust in the Lord. The Lord will bless you for the sacrifice. Show your trust in Him.

Edit: I realized you might not be male. If you're a male I stand by my answer. If you're female, I agree with Treble.clef. If you're male I do not agree with Treble.clef. You go on your mission. The praying should be to give you the strength and faith to go. God has already given the answer. Every worthy male!

My thought is I don't want to change my plan, but I feel sad if I don't help them......

I appreciate your sense of loyalty to the company but keep in mind that serving a *faithful* mission can make you a better employee in the long run.  Tell them that if they guilt you/give you a hard time/delay things.  

Nonsense?  You don't think that mission experiences can prepare you for many of the things in life?  I do.

Heheh. I guess I should have clipped the quote. Let me try again:

Male or female makes no difference.

Nonsense.

Men have been commanded to go on missions. Women have not. It very much makes a difference.

Male or female makes no difference. Mission first the experiences you have will prepare you for life.

So after Pam's reply I realized that I may have mistaken your meaning. If you mean that whether male or female, it makes no difference as to the experience preparing you for life, I agree. If you mean that whether male or female it makes no difference as to the decision, then I disagree. Just so we're clear.

So after Pam's reply I realized that I may have mistaken your meaning. If you mean that whether male or female, it makes no difference as to the experience preparing you for life, I agree. If you mean that whether male or female it makes no difference as to the decision, then I disagree. Just so we're clear.

The mission prepares you for life male or female on this we can all agree. I personally think any eligible female should go on a mission and with the lowering of the eligible age for woman I think that we will see a shift in the counsel from our first presidency that our youth are given very soon.

The mission prepares you for life male or female on this we can all agree. I personally think any eligible female should go on a mission and with the lowering of the eligible age for woman I think that we will see a shift in the counsel from our first presidency that our youth are given very soon.

That would be interesting. I don't think it will ever be a one-to-one council where young men and young women are giving the same. Roles differ. Advice should, therefore, also differ. But certainly the attitude in women serving missions has changed over the course of the past century, and I can certainly see it shifting more moving forward.

I know that in my stake the movement is towards every eligible person serving a mission there has been a big push by our stake president in this. Thomas S. Monson has said that serving a mission is a priesthood duty and I agree with this, however it will be interesting to see if that dynamic changes going forward.

This is the thing here. 

I had an interview with the company that I currently work for at the beginning of this month. 

I told them that I plan to go on mission in the future. I wasn't sure when I wanted to go, so I told them that I would probably go within two years. They accepted the answer and really liked me so I passed the first interview. Then I had a second time of interview with the chairwoman of the company. I gave her exactly the same answer when she asked what my future plan is. 

After that interview, I had feeling that I wouldn't get accepted. Who would want to train an employee who's not gonna stay long? And I realized that it is better for me to go on mission first so then I wouldn't have this kind of problem anymore in the future. So I talked with my parents and they thought that sooner I go, better for me. So I changed my timetable. I decided to go mission first. 

Surprisingly, the company called and told me that they still hope that I can get into the company first and they understand and respect my decision of going on mission. 

So I went until now. 

The chairwoman talked to me again yesterday, she asked me if any thoughts changed? If I still want to go on mission within a short time? 

I answered yes. 

Then she told me that the company loves my characteristics and see my potential, so they  would like to give me a series of training, and hope that I can be a leader in the future to manage overseas markets.

But it will take about two to three years, then they'll let me go on mission and my position will be saved until I come back.

Later I thought two to three years are too long. I negotiated with my manager and she kinda compromised that if so, they still need a year and half the most. 

So she wants me to think about it. 

When I talked to her, she sincerely told me that the company really needs someone to help them because they've seeking someone who's like me and can be another leader of the company. They told me that no matter what I can still go back to the company after mission, but they hope I can help them out during this a year and a half. 

Your mission is between you and the L-rd.  I suggest you take this matter up with him in fervent prayer (and fasting).   If it is not important enough to him to give you a clear answer then it is up to you to decide from what is important to you.  If he gives you a clear answer – you will know what you ought to do but in the end the choice is still yours.

I gave up many things for my mission – including a scholarship and my savings – it turned out that the girl I thought would wait was not that important to me in the long run.  My mission was worth it for me – I plan to serve again with my eternal companion – she really did not wait because we did not meet for a few years after my mission.

We shall see if there is a shift in the counsel from the first presidency. I personally don't think God will command women to serve missions exactly as he has commanded men. President Monson has said that serving a mission is a priesthood duty.

Do you not think that for some women, marriage is supposed to happen instead of a mission, and that it would be the right choice? I think personal revelation is important for women in deciding whether to go on a mission. I mean, God may want a female to meet her eternal companion and marry during the time she would be serving a mission. I agree with The Folk Prophet that roles differ depending on gender and it applies to serving missions. 

We shall see if there is a shift in the counsel from the first presidency. I personally don't think God will command women to serve missions exactly as he has commanded men. President Monson has said that serving a mission is a priesthood duty.

Do you not think that for some women, marriage is supposed to happen instead of a mission, and that it would be the right choice? I think personal revelation is important for women in deciding whether to go on a mission. I mean, God may want a female to meet her eternal companion and marry during the time she would be serving a mission. I agree with The Folk Prophet that roles differ depending on gender and it applies to serving missions. 

A woman needs a man to marry... so I'm not sure how focusing on marriage instead of a mission is different for either gender...

I sincerely believe missions are a vital priesthood duty that should be perused if at all possible--so if you hold the priesthood and are physically/mentally/morally able to serve a mission, do so. As long as women dont hold the priesthood it will always be more Important for men to serve than women.

But a less-than-offical expectation in women serving? I could see us going that direction and I dont think it's a bad thing.

I would say, on the marriage question, that as women don't have the priesthood duty to serve, eternal marriage trumps mission the right opportunity presents itself

A woman needs a man to marry... so I'm not sure how focusing on marriage instead of a mission is different for either gender...

Uh...commandment vs. not a commandment. It's not complicated. If a man chooses not to go on a mission, he has disobeyed and therefore must deal with the consequences of disobedience. If a woman chooses not to go, she has not disobeyed.

Serving a mission is a priesthood DUTY not a commandment. We are counseled that we SHOULD serve a mission but everyone's life takes a different course and for some the decision to not serve a mission may be the correct one. There are no consequences for not serving because you have not disobeyed.

Serving a mission is a priesthood DUTY not a commandment. We are counseled that we SHOULD serve a mission but everyone's life takes a different course and for some the decision to not serve a mission may be the correct one. There are no consequences for not serving because you have not disobeyed.

You would think that. Honestly, what church do you belong to?

Uh...commandment vs. not a commandment. It's not complicated. If a man chooses not to go on a mission, he has disobeyed and therefore must deal with the consequences of disobedience. If a woman chooses not to go, she has not disobeyed.

You misunderstood me.

My point was not the mission.  My point was the marriage.  I don't agree with the sentiment that women doesn't need to focus on a mission because they are supposed to focus on marriage... like they need more focus on marriage than men do.

You misunderstood me.

My point was not the mission.  My point was the marriage.  I don't agree with the sentiment that women doesn't need to focus on a mission because they are supposed to focus on marriage... like they need more focus on marriage than men do.

Well we don't disagree then. :)

I also hope it didn't come across as if I'm saying women should not focus on a mission. I think, as a general rule (particularly with the age lower) that women should plan on missions. (Though they should not be pressured to go). The only real reason a woman should not go, imo, is if there is a returned missionary male she meets which whom she falls in love, etc., and the Spirit confirms it is right. Then, she should go ahead and get married. The church has specific counsel to not encourage a woman to serve a mission if she has marriage plans in place.

As quoted by Elder Scott from a first presidency letter: "Worthy single women [of the right age] … may be recommended to serve full-time missions. … These sisters can make a valuable contribution … , but they should not be pressured to serve. Bishops should not recommend them for missionary service if it will interfere with imminent marriage prospects.”

http://www.mormon.org/faq/serve-missions

I always say that serving a mission is a privilege.

And well spoken.

However, for a young man, it is also, as pointed out by omegaseamaster75, a duty. (As in an obligation...as in a requirement...as in a commandment).