When do we serve and when do we let the bishop do his job?

Backroads

An individual deals with mental illnesses and, in general, is very needy.  Social programs are there for her, but do not cover many day to day things that come up.  There is family nearby, but they have scaled back the help they will give due to significant stress in working with this individual.  The bishop of the ward is a service missionary who has to drive a fair distance to get to this individual's ward and area.  

Family isn't always able to give money, rides, and other service but also don't want the bishop to use his time to be assisting all the time.

Is it the responsibility of this individual's minor day-to-day care primarily the family's (not immediate family) or the bishop's?

This is the families obligation, the church should be a final and last resort safety net, not an organization that provides perpetual care or financial support.

If I might pick your brain a bit, do you think there are ever times when the responsibility fluctuates even if the family should be primarily responsible?  For one example, the individual needs a ride home but the family members have to work at that time.  Would it then be proper for the individual to call her bishop?  

Do you think "team" responsibility is ever appropriate even when the family is the one in charge of care?

If I might pick your brain a bit, do you think there are ever times when the responsibility fluctuates even if the family should be primarily responsible?  For one example, the individual needs a ride home but the family members have to work at that time.  Would it then be proper for the individual to call her bishop?  

Do you think "team" responsibility is ever appropriate even when the family is the one in charge of care?

Since you are asking me, I think that that bishops responsibility is very limited. As Bishop he has no obligation to give said person a ride. If he wants to be a nice guy this person can ask him as a favor but there is no obligation. The Bishop is a spiritual adviser not a taxi service.

There is no "team" unless various members of the ward want to contribute and pull together for this member the bishop may be key in organizing this. Lets keep in mind that no one is bishop forever. This individual and their family have an obligation to provide a lasting solution to the problems present

An individual deals with mental illnesses and, in general, is very needy.  Social programs are there for her, but do not cover many day to day things that come up.  There is family nearby, but they have scaled back the help they will give due to significant stress in working with this individual.  The bishop of the ward is a service missionary who has to drive a fair distance to get to this individual's ward and area.  

Family isn't always able to give money, rides, and other service but also don't want the bishop to use his time to be assisting all the time.

Is it the responsibility of this individual's minor day-to-day care primarily the family's (not immediate family) or the bishop's?

Can we get a little background information about the person in question? Male/female/age/diagnosis if you know?

Since you are asking me, I think that that bishops responsibility is very limited. As Bishop he has no obligation to give said person a ride. If he wants to be a nice guy this person can ask him as a favor but there is no obligation. The Bishop is a spiritual adviser not a taxi service.

There is no "team" unless various members of the ward want to contribute and pull together for this member the bishop may be key in organizing this. Lets keep in mind that no one is bishop forever. This individual and their family have an obligation to provide a lasting solution to the problems present

I used to work with a handful of guys who happened to be bishops and I heard almost weekly complaints of how hard it was deal with individuals in need who did not have family support.  Indeed, not a taxi service they are.  

Yet there are also situations where the responsibility makes it impossible for the supporting family to take care of their own immediate family and selves.  Though now I'm just musing and don't know where to take that thought.

Can we get a little background information about the person in question? Male/female/age/diagnosis if you know?

Female, late 50s, married to a much older man.  Not positive on the whole diagnosis, but hypochondria is supposedly on the list.  To be specific about one of the problems, this individual makes regular visits to the emergency room by bus, but then needs someone to pay the bill and bring her back home.  The family isn't directly related, just geographically closest.  

Female, late 50s, married to a much older man.  Not positive on the whole diagnosis, but hypochondria is supposedly on the list.  To be specific about one of the problems, this individual makes regular visits to the emergency room by bus, but then needs someone to pay the bill and bring her back home.  The family isn't directly related, just geographically closest.  

You mentioned she is married, what about the husband?

Is she receiving medical treatment to deal with her health anxiety? (and I assume there are also other problems such as depression or even OCD).

I believe the Bishop and the members can help. Can the ward organize something with regards to transportation for this lady when she comes to Church or activities or is it that they do not wish to do so because she behaves a little different than the rest?

Is the family member getting any sort of treatment to get her mental issues dealt with?

It strikes me that as a general rule, it might be helpful to look a little more closely at whether the assistance being offered fills a need, or offers a convenience.  Her putting herself in a situation where there are inconvenient (not dangerous) consequences does not create a crisis in which the family or the bishop must immediately intervene.  For example--if she can get herself to the emergency room, I don't see why she can't get herself home from the emergency room.  If she's got to wait two or three (or five) hours until the next bus turns up--well, she's not going to drop dead in a hospital waiting room.

(I'm an ogre, I know.)

To the extent that some assistance remains necessary and the family is at their wits' end--I like what Suzie said.  The responsibility doesn't fall to the bishop personally; it falls to him as the leader of the ward.  Delegate, delegate, delegate.

This is how I see it:

The circle of support is as follows:

1.  Family

2.  Ward/Church

3.  Society/Government

The Family must first exhaust all their resources to help a family member.  In the absence of family or if the family's resources are not enough, the Ward steps in.  The bishop, having stewardship over the ward, manages this person's care - but, a manager does not necessarily have to do the work.  Bishops need to delegate.  Compassionate service are usually delegated to the  Relief Society or the Elder's Quorum and trickle down to the Home and Visiting Teachers.

If the person's needs are greater than what the Church can provide - especially if it comes to financial and professional resources, the person goes and appeals to the government.

Now, from what I understand, when it comes to financial matters, the Church counsels to exhaust the family's resources first, then the government, before the Church.  In any case, the bishop needs to learn how to delegate.

Pale will correct me if I got this backwards.

The responsibility doesn't fall to the bishop personally; it falls to him as the leader of the ward.  Delegate, delegate, delegate.

This was my thought as well. This sort of thing is everyone's responsibility. And the bishop is not, and should not be, a micro-manager--or worse the one who literally does everything. But it is his responsibility, at a broad level.

I mean, who are their home and visiting teachers, for example.

I am not going to blame any one person or calling. We have heard from our leaders as a whole church about the Ward Council. We have been taught in World Wide Leadership Training and I believe in a general Conf a few yrs ago Pres Erying gave a talk about how we can solve lots of problems in our units through the Ward Council. The Bishop can't do it all.

Backroads is correct with what was overheard by other Bishops. You can offer help and have some ideas and solutions....you can't make the do it or you don't know what to do. I was fortunate to have a brother who is a Physcologist and I knew a church member who worked in Social Services. I would also call the Church Physcologist.

Yes...Annatess ....that's a good list to go by.

This was my thought as well. This sort of thing is everyone's responsibility. And the bishop is not, and should not be, a micro-manager--or worse the one who literally does everything. But it is his responsibility, at a broad level.

I mean, who are their home and visiting teachers, for example.

This type of individual goes beyond the scope of what a home/visiting teacher can provide, at least that's my interpretation of it

I personally agree with anatess' list.

The husband is in his late 80's. Doesn't drive.

The ward in question from what I understand isn't really set up to be much of a community as the members are mostly in similar situations of health and finances. That's why most of the leadership are service missionaries.

This type of individual goes beyond the scope of what a home/visiting teacher can provide, at least that's my interpretation of it

That's between the home teacher and the Lord. Some home teachers have the time and ability to do more.

But that's not really my point. I'm simply saying it's a team effort. Primarily it should be family, then the bishop and the ward. The bishop should delegate (as JaG pointed out) and/or work through other means as best he can, and as guided by the spirit. But others should be willing and ready to pitch in if asked (particularly the home and visiting teachers -- but certainly not limited to them...)

I personally agree with anatess' list.

The husband is in his late 80's. Doesn't drive.

The ward in question from what I understand isn't really set up to be much of a community as the members are mostly in similar situations of health and finances. That's why most of the leadership are service missionaries.

Children?  Grandchildren?  Siblings?  Their children and grandchildren?  Anyone?

I think id have to do a lot more investigation to find that out! How does one go about finding and contacting the family of others?

Easy.  You ask them... Ok, I'm assuming they are not very senile.

If you are referring to the ward as a whole I wouldn't feel comfortable taking on the task of calling the family members of everyone in the ward and demanding they pitch in.

The individual I in question... I'm assuming the family members involved now have already tried to reign in other help.

If you are referring to the ward as a whole I wouldn't feel comfortable taking on the task of calling the family members of everyone in the ward and demanding they pitch in.

The individual I in question... I'm assuming the family members involved now have already tried to reign in other help.

No, I think you misunderstood me.

"Easy.  You ask them... " rephrased:  "Go to the old people, ask them if they have family that they can call..." and if they do, then you go help them call this family...  a lot of times, old folks don't call their children because, 1.) they're too embarrassed/scared/prideful to call, 2.) they assume their children don't want to be bothered, 3.) they just never thought of it.

In all honesty, the keys the bishop holds gives him the right of revelation to deal with the situation.  It is his stewardship to work with the family and to muster the power of the priesthood executive committee and the ward council in his ward to assist as determined by the deliberations of those councils.  There is a lot of wisdom in a ward council.  The auxilary presidencies bear the burden with the bishop.  Yet the bishop has the keys to determine what is enough and what is not.  The focus will be on getting a family back to self-sufficiency, naturally. 

I was a branch president and, like a bishop, I had to use inspiration to make such determinations.  It's a tough responsibility and one that every bishop or branch president feels heavily.  The Spirit does indeed guide the bishops and presidents how to work in these situations.  The revelatory influence is real.  Trust in the Lord and that the Bishop will do right, following the inspiration that is granted to him.

As an afterthought, I also experienced that stake presidents will not even tread upon the Bishop's authority in this area.  It's a stewardship that belongs to them.  A bishop can ask the stake president how to proceed in such a situation, but the stake president will tell him, "It's your stewardship--you make the call."  I was really amazed when I saw this occur when I was a counselor in a bishopric and when I was a branch president.  One of the beautiful things about the system is that it is so responsive to individual situations despite the Church being made up of millions of people.