LDS Temple Artwork

ncrckr

• 2 years later...

After I saw this painting in the Bountiful Temple I fell in love with it. I did some extensive research (including talking to Jeff Hein's wife) and found that the painting, as well as reproduction rights were sold to the Church. (The Heins don't even have a print!) I spoke to Deseret Book, which normally has the right to make prints of any art that the Church owns, however, in this case the painting is owned exclusively by the Temple Department, which has not authorized release for copies. I tried writing to the Temple Department but didn't receive a response. MAYBE, if a bunch of people wrote to them expressing interest in the painting things could change. I would love to have a print for my home.

My wife grew up knowing Elspeth Young, who also has a lot of stuff hanging in temples that the Church holds the rights to.  I suspect that the current thinking in the Temple Department is that they like people walking into the temple and seeing images that they can't see anywhere else. 

Just_A_Guy, I think you are right. My understanding is that copies of this painting hang in 9 or 10 Temples, mostly in Latin America. I'm not sure why it is in Bountiful but I'm glad that it is. I am an ordinance worker there so I get to see it often. Hopefully, with time they may consider authorizing this one to be released for reproduction. Being Hispanic, this painting really reaches out to me. Mrs. Hein told me that her daughter and a friend, neither of whom are Hispanic, were the models for the 2 children. I think Mr. Hein did a beautiful job of making them look Hispanic / Lamanite / Nephite or however you want to identify them. I love his work and I think many more people, besides those who enter the Temples where this painting is displayed, would come to love this particular piece as well.

On 8/4/2014 at 5:15 PM, ncrckr said:

I would like to know if anyone can help me identify the title and artist of this painting.  It is found in the entrance of the El Salvador San Salvador Temple.

San Salvador Temple Print.jpg

You could also take the jpg to a print shop and be happy to pay a little more for a "rare print".

• 7 years later...
On 10/5/2016 at 5:52 PM, Msfierro said:

Just_A_Guy, I think you are right. My understanding is that copies of this painting hang in 9 or 10 Temples, mostly in Latin America. I'm not sure why it is in Bountiful but I'm glad that it is. I am an ordinance worker there so I get to see it often. Hopefully, with time they may consider authorizing this one to be released for reproduction. Being Hispanic, this painting really reaches out to me. Mrs. Hein told me that her daughter and a friend, neither of whom are Hispanic, were the models for the 2 children. I think Mr. Hein did a beautiful job of making them look Hispanic / Lamanite / Nephite or however you want to identify them. I love his work and I think many more people, besides those who enter the Temples where this painting is displayed, would come to love this particular piece as well.

I know the 'Lamanite' girl personally. She is hispanic