Non-Member at BYU

I've been investigating the church for about a year now and as of lately I feel really good about it. I feel like I'm about ready to become a member, but not yet. I know I will have drastic consequences in my home life if I do, so I want to be absolutely sure first. That being said, I'd like to apply to BYU, Provo and Hawaii. My goal would be to go to Hawaii and major in Biochemistry. I was just wondering if not being a member would hurt my chances of getting in? I've finished one year of college and my GPA is good (3.9) so I'd like to transfer there in January. Any advice on getting in and what I could do to help my chances?

• 3 months later...

Nice! I'm a science major attending BYU Provo. I don't see your membership affecting admission. After all, it's just a school - albeit an awesome one :)

I'd apply to each of the CES schools, but I'd honestly recommend Provo over Hawaii. There are many research opportunities and such for science majors here. You'd love it. 

Congrats on the testimony/investigator progress, and keep up the good work.

I've looked around the BYU website, and even read a blog by a non-member who attended.  The schools do expect religious participation, but that can be fulfilled in any house of worship.  BYU gives tuition breaks to its members, but the non-member price is still quite economical, as private schools go.

• 5 months later...
Guest MormonGator

I love many things about this forum, but I really love how much I learn about the church. I had no idea non members could even attend BYU!