Non Mormon, Received Blessing from Missionaries

Hello everyone,

I have been struggling with a lot of anxiety and maybe crisis in my life. Yesterday at school, I had asked to Missionaries if they would give me a blessing.

My friend had a testimony on his mission, that he and another missionary gave a blessing  over someone with cancer, and the cancer was ridden during their time. I was hoping to get some direction my life.

But quite honestly, I did not feel anything spiritual during any blessings.

Still it was nice of the missionaries though,

Just throwing this out there.

Cheers!

Edited by LegionObeys

Dear LegionObeys, I bet you have many questions about priesthood blessings! Though, I've never been through my mission YET, but I know that the Lord's blessings are open to anyone who would want it and need it. I followed the missionaries to knock on doors and asked if anyone would be interested in the gospel. There was this sick old man who suffered from the 4th stage of some types of cancer. Then, the missionaries asked him if he would want a blessing. So, he said yes. The missionaries then told him that if he has faith in the Lord, the Lord would bless him. So, it's all about faith! If you have faith in the Lord and the blessings, then the blessings would work on you. If you don't believe in it, it can't do anything. Hope that I answered your questions!  ;)

The power of blessings also depends on the faith of the receiver. It's not a magic spell like it can sound sometimes. It's a blessing from Heavenly Father that depends on His will as well as the faith of those giving and receiving the blessing.

My son is not a member, but requested a priesthood blessing (why doesn't that boy join already??) before tonsillectomy. He was afraid of the surgery - and the long recovery for adults getting tonsillectomies - and thought a blessing wouldn't hurt. I'm not sure he spiritually felt any different, but as I see a lot of this stuff, it is psychologically beneficial, helping him to relax and not worry so much.

I'm convinced there are times when God will honor the faith of those giving the blessings--even when the recipient has none (and may be ignorant of God).  After all, did Jesus not heal a blind man, and only after several others had interrogated him about what happened did Jesus return to him and ask if he was ready to believe?

John 9:

35 Jesus heard that they had thrown him out, and when he found him, he said, “Do you believe in the Son of Man?”

36 “Who is he, sir?” the man asked. “Tell me so that I may believe in him.”

37 Jesus said, “You have now seen him; in fact, he is the one speaking with you.”

38 Then the man said, “Lord, I believe,” and he worshiped him.

39 Jesus said, “For judgment I have come into this world, so that the blind will see and those who see will become blind.”

40 Some Pharisees who were with him heard him say this and asked, “What? Are we blind too?”

41 Jesus said, “If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains.

See the whole chapter for the big picture of this man born blind, who was healed by Jesus.

Edited by prisonchaplain

I'm convinced there are times when God will honor the faith of those giving the blessings--even when the recipient has none (and may be ignorant of God).  After all, did Jesus not heal a blind man, and only after several others had interrogated him about what happened did Jesus return to him and ask if he was ready to believe?

John 9:

35 Jesus heard that they had thrown him out, and when he found him, he said, “Do you believe in the Son of Man?”

36 “Who is he, sir?” the man asked. “Tell me so that I may believe in him.”

37 Jesus said, “You have now seen him; in fact, he is the one speaking with you.”

38 Then the man said, “Lord, I believe,” and he worshiped him.

39 Jesus said, “For judgment I have come into this world, so that the blind will see and those who see will become blind.”

40 Some Pharisees who were with him heard him say this and asked, “What? Are we blind too?”

41 Jesus said, “If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains.

See the whole chapter for the big picture of this man born blind, who was healed by Jesus.

I believe so as well.

sometimes more effort is required as well (such as fasting and preparation)

Edited by Blackmarch