Where to eat on Conference Sunday in SLC

Wordnerd

We are planning on coming with the kids to General Conference in October. Our hotel has breakfast included but other than that I am not sure what to do about meals on Sunday as we won't leave till Monday morning because its a very long drive (around 12 hours). I understand there is not much open in downtown SLC. What do other people do when they travel to conference and stay in hotels?

The hotel restaurant may be open, but I am also sensitive that it appears somewhat hypocritical to travel to conference and then force others to work by needing to buy restaurant meals. Am I being oversensitive? We really don't travel often but when we do we try to keep Sunday a quiet day, but will eat out if we need to.

Your being overly sensitive. You are traveling a very long way to see the general conference, your experience will not be lessened by taking your family out to eat. There are many decent restaurants in SLC and the surrounding areas. 

Edited by omegaseamaster75

If the Spirit is telling you not to go to a restaurant on Conference Sunday . . . don't do it.  None of us here are a substitute for the Spirit.  I rather like notquiteperfect's suggestion, personally.

That said:  If you do decide to use a restaurant--you'll have plenty of options.  SLC doesn't really close down on Sunday the way a lot of smaller Utah towns do (or used to).

Edited by Just_A_Guy

It seems that a lot of hotel rooms have at least a fridge and a microwave. (At least, we try to get rooms with these two amenities). One strategy we use in that situation is to go out for pizza on Saturday, buy extra, then have leftover pizza again on Sunday.

That seems a little rough, I guess we will never be vacationing together..  :0)

Or you can do what I have heard some of the General Authorities do when they are faced with this dilemma, they go out to eat but they only order a "basic meal" and nothing over the top.

Edited by Daybreak79

If you can, get a room with a partial kitchen or at least a fridge then go buy groceries.  If this isn't doable, pb&j sandwiches with fruits and fresh veges is plenty easy.  Just pack some basic utensils and napkins, some paper sacks or a cooler and you're set.

The one problem I see with this is whether someone coming to conference has a vehicle. There isn't exactly a grocery store on every corner downtown.  Not that I'm totally familiar with downtown Salt Lake City (I only go downtown when absolutely necessary) but unless you start getting into the residential areas that are away from the conference center...  So buying groceries may not be an option.  

The one problem I see with this is whether someone coming to conference has a vehicle. There isn't exactly a grocery store on every corner downtown.  Not that I'm totally familiar with downtown Salt Lake City (I only go downtown when absolutely necessary) but unless you start getting into the residential areas that are away from the conference center...  So buying groceries may not be an option.  

Though there is that Harmon's over by City Creek Center (or is that open yet?)

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Or you can do what I some of the General Authorities do when they are faced with this dilemma, they go out to eat but they only order a "basic meal" and nothing over the top.

The OP is out of town he should go and get something to eat when he gets hungry.  He is staying in a hotel, is he not going to have the maids clean that day?  where does it stop?  and how does eating a basic meal make you more or less righteous than if you go somewhere "over the top"?  Define "over the top"  either way someone's working on sunday....

The Harmon's in downtown SLC is open and there is also a Trader Joes both places offer plenty of prefixed meals that the OP could stock up on IF they have access to a fridge and microwave.

As for what would define a basic meal it would be left to everyone's own individual decision. To me a basic meal would be ordering a bowl of soup or a sandwich instead of full dinner meal like steak & potato. 

To me eating out on the Sabbath when traveling falls into the Ox in Mire parable.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/nt/luke/14.5?lang=eng

I think what the OP and the family do the rest of the day will far more determine how they keep the Sabbath then how they get food. Yes obtaining the food can effect how they spend the rest of the day, but if they do eat in their hotel room because they planned ahead but spend the rest of the day doing trivial things that do not invite the spirit they still have not kept the Sabbath.

And keeping the Sabbath goes far beyond "either way someone's working on Sunday".

Edited by Daybreak79

I'm with FXDB on this one whats the difference between a salad and a sandwich and what was proposed as a full meal. Will I be more in tune with the spirit if i don't order the steak? That's ridiculous.

It is exactly like the Ox in the Mire.

We have to eat, it's Sunday your out of town and on vacation with your family. Go out don't feel even a little bit guilty about it, heck order the prime rib, tell them I said it was ok.

I'm with FXDB on this one whats the difference between a salad and a sandwich and what was proposed as a full meal. Will I be more in tune with the spirit if i don't order the steak? That's ridiculous.

We have to eat, it's Sunday your out of town and on vacation with your family. Go out don't feel even a little bit guilty about it, heck order the prime rib, tell them I said it was ok.

I would say that calling it an Ox in the Mire is a distortion of the concept.  An Ox in the Mire is not something you could plan or predict but you have to deal with it anyway.  You can and should be able to predict and plan for the fact that you are going to need to eat.  Its not like Sunday comes along and all the sudden you realize that you are going to need to eat today, that should simply not be a surprise.

Now to if it is worth planning for that totally depends on what you are comfortable with doing on the Sabbath day.  The OP sounds like it might bother them.  If that is true then they should plan for it, if not then not.

I agree with estradling. If it's important to you, you can get food on Saturday that will keep (according to whether or not you have a cooler), and picnic on Sunday. If you're comfortable eating out on Sunday when you travel, then eat out. 

The message that I believe the GA that I heard it from was that you are showing the Lord that you are willing to sacrifice by eating differently than you would any other day which keeps with keeping the Sabbath different from the rest of the week. 

Edited by Daybreak79

This isn't an ox in the mire situation at all.

The message that I believe the GA that I heard it from was that you are showing the Lord that you are willing to sacrifice by eating differently than you would any other day which keeps with keeping the Sabbath different from the rest of the week. 

I agree with this.  I do not eat prime rib very often.  That is eating differently than I would any other day.  I would get a prime rib on conference Sunday.....

If the OP is uncomfortable with eating out on the Sabbath, how do they reconcile staying at a hotel?  Maids work, building maintenance works, the concierge works, the receptionist in the lobby works.  They are all working because people are staying at the hotel on a Sunday.  

We are planning on coming with the kids to General Conference in October. Our hotel has breakfast included but other than that I am not sure what to do about meals on Sunday as we won't leave till Monday morning because its a very long drive (around 12 hours). I understand there is not much open in downtown SLC. What do other people do when they travel to conference and stay in hotels?

The hotel restaurant may be open, but I am also sensitive that it appears somewhat hypocritical to travel to conference and then force others to work by needing to buy restaurant meals. Am I being oversensitive? We really don't travel often but when we do we try to keep Sunday a quiet day, but will eat out if we need to.

If it is the only practical option, I don't think eating out on Sunday when you are traveling is breaking the Sabbath.

Matthew chapter 12

1 At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn, and to eat.

2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.

3 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him;

4 How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?

The disciples ate "out" on the Sabbath during their travels. I know of modern day servants that do the same when required. Try to avoid the situation, if possible, but sometimes it is unavoidable. Sometimes making the arrangements to completely avoid all forms of labor on the Sabbath when traveling, in my opinion, might be breaking it.

When we go to conference we hit McDonald's, Jimmy John's, and Olive Garden.

12 hour drive? That's how long it is for us. Maybe we'll cross paths.

Edited by Str8Shooter