I avoid church because of fear of getting a calling

Timid

I grew up in the church, served a mission (huge struggle), got married in the temple. In my adult life I've really struggled with activity. I'm afraid of callings, teaching specifically. I was called in Young Men's which was a real struggle for me even though I only had 3 boys in my class. I agreed to the calling and tried to show faith that I'd make it through. I would often spend 12+ hours on my lessons and only be able to fill 15-20 minutes of class time (and that was when we had a real manual). Fortunately I had to move for work and was released from the calling before the curriculum changed to the free-for-all it is now.

I got called into Sunday School Presidency and it was too much to have to worry about teaching any class where the teacher didn't show up. I stopped going to church and it's been almost a year now. I know it bothers my wife and daughter that I don't go. I'm just not sure there's a place for me in the church without a calling (they all seem to involve teaching).

Also, because of work/geography, I haven't been to the temple in 10 years, I'm afraid to go because I don't remember much. 

Anyone out there like me? How have you made it as an active member?

Go back and tell them you'd love to serve in the Nursery.  (it's the best calling in the church!)  Yes, there's a lesson but it's short and you basically hold up and picture and talk about it.

Other callings: clerk (ward, financial, membership), exec sec, em prep coordinator, ward bulletin person, music chair/choir director, pianist/organist, indexing director, family history consultant, not to mention all the stake callings (too many to mention).  This is just a sampling but it takes a lot to help the Kingdom function and there's something for everyone.

As far as the temple - the workers don't know how long it's been, they see 'newbies' all the time and they're there to help.  No biggie.

Pragmatic person speaking here:

If there's a major reason you don't want a certain calling, then don't take it.  Yes, I know the Bishop is support to pray about things, but so are you.  Do that, and sometimes the answer is "not for me.".  If you feel the spirit drawing you more in a different direction, then volunteer for that (even if it's no calling).   NEVER let fear stop you from coming to Christ.

Example-- I've really struggled with fellowshipping in church.  I wanted to be involved somehow-- my Bishop's first instinct was to put me in Junior Primary.  I said "no, I need to be with grown ups", cause I felt that call to fellowship with other (adult) LDS.  Bishop nodded and I joined the RS Activity Board and flourished there.    In my current ward, I again don't have a calling, and intend to volunteer for Family History Consultant in a few weeks (once my work settles down).

I grew up being taught not to turn down a calling but I guess that's better than not going to church at all.

Yep!

And maybe look at it this way - with you available to fill one of the above positions, for example, that would free someone else up to take on a new calling who might actually prefer a teaching role.   Win-win.

Edited by notquiteperfect

Yes i have similar scenarios outside of church. I'm not very social.

I'm not a professional, but it seems to me that you might want to seek some professional help for this. It is amazing what things can be overcome with some simple changes in routine. It's normal to have some anxiety with a calling, but what you are describing seems to be a lot more than typical.

Tell your bishop how you feel and come back to church. I'm sure there is more than one person that misses you, and you will be in the presence of the spirit.