Thy Walls Are Continually Before Me

sixpacktr

I have something I want to ask about. Last week in 4th Sunday PH meeting I taught about the gathering of Israel, based upon Elder Nelson's talk in Nov 2006. Anyway, there is a verse in the BOM and Bible that I love, how the Lord will always remember us, no matter what. But something is unclear to me.

I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands: that means to me the crucifixion. He saved us, etc.

But "thy walls are continually before me" stumped me. No one else had a really good answer to that either.

So I'll ask you erudite ones: what is the meaning of this phrase. It has to be something very Jewish. Jason, PC, any thoughts? I know that both of you are very well read.

Thanks in advance for the input...

Guest Yediyd

Six...this is just the gosple according to Yediyd, but...

My take on that verse and the context of that verse is that G-d was speaking of the walls that the Isrealites had to build around themselves as protection from a world who hated them...G-d was and is aware of those walls and they are not all made of stone and morter.

I think what he is saying is that he knows thier struggles and ours as well...our walls are before him, too. he sees and understands and loves us.

Yed,

Yeah, that was one of the possible interpretations brought up, i.e., that we build walls, or obstacles, and that our HF is mindful of them to help us over them.

Not saying it isn't right, but since Isaiah was soooo Jewish and used a lot of allegory and symbolism, I was wondering if there was a meaning that has been lost (IOW, very Jewish) in our modern Western culture.

But thanks for the input. :D

Guest Yediyd

Not sure, but I checked my Tanakh, and the word is translated as: "wall"...don't know further than that....

I'll be interested to see if there is some other signifcants as well...

I have something I want to ask about. Last week in 4th Sunday PH meeting I taught about the gathering of Israel, based upon Elder Nelson's talk in Nov 2006. Anyway, there is a verse in the BOM and Bible that I love, how the Lord will always remember us, no matter what. But something is unclear to me.

I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands: that means to me the crucifixion. He saved us, etc.

But "thy walls are continually before me" stumped me. No one else had a really good answer to that either.

So I'll ask you erudite ones: what is the meaning of this phrase. It has to be something very Jewish. Jason, PC, any thoughts? I know that both of you are very well read.

Thanks in advance for the input...

In Israel as in this day we have the Ten or basic commandments from God. If we adhere to those we have no need for any other law. We are slow to respond and fearful, so we make laws to help us keep the basic laws. A common example was when the Lord commanded us to keep the Sabbath day holy, Israel built walls around this commandment limiting and defining the law literally. So much so that the spirit of the law was lost and the Savior himself was accused of violating the law by healing a man on the Sabbath. Our walls are fear even though we are told by the Lord not to fear. :o

Jim,

That kind of falls into the walls we build ourselves that keep us from HF.

To me, it is a continuation of the first part of the verse: I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands (and) thy walls are continually before me.

But I could be wrong. Won't be the first time. Just ask my wife! :D

See, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands: This has obvious and beautiful fulfillment in the nail-scarred hands of Jesus. As Jesus told Thomas in a post-resurrection appearance, look at My hands (John 20:27). When we see the nail-scarred hands of Jesus, we see how He has inscribed us on the palms of His hands. With such love, how could God ever forget His people?

Your walls are continually before Me: The walls refer to the walls of the city of Jerusalem, which figuratively speak of the health, the strength, the prosperity, and the security of God’s people. God is always mindful of the condition of His people, despite the objections of a doubting Zion.

Yes, 2 Ne 4 is also a wonderful passage.

You say hope. I would add to that -- sometimes especially in Isaiah it is more like an ecstatic rejoicing like a symphony, like a sky of stars, like a tiny infant -- you know we talk about the depth of the pain of the atonement that was laid on the Savior; I think there is a matching heighth of rejoicing -- and we get a glimpse of it in some passages.

Here are a few more:

2 Ne 1:15

Isaiah 54 (all, but 7-10)

Doctrine & Covenants 128:19-23

Here's what I found. The word translated as "walls" is the Hebrew word khomah.

Read the definition on that hyperlink. It does mention the walls of Jerusalem, but also the metaphorical chasteness of virgins.

So perhaps when the Lord says "thy walls are continually before me" he is stating that they will be regathered to the Holy City, Jerusalem, again? That although he was prophesying destruction, in the end he would remember and gather them in again?

I think if you read that passage from Isaiah, and then immediately read Christ's lament for Jerusalem, a more complete picture or story emerges. As in:

Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me. (Isaiah 49:16)

And:

Then said one unto him, Lord, are there few that be saved? And he said unto them,

Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.

O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not! (Luke 13: 23-24, 34)

Jehovah/Christ's continual, loving attention to the Israelites is powerfully manifest in these passages, as is his piercing sorrow at their rebellion.

• 6 years later...

I know that this post was long ago, but studying this phrase at BYU in an Isaiah class, I researched it and saw this post and thought to comment. What you guys have said have also helped me. My professor stated that in the ancient times, people would make a spike of clay (as far as my memory serves me right, it was clay) to where they would put their contracts on, then they would fire it up to make it sealed and would hang it on the wall. Jesus Christ made a contract, or a covenant with us in the palms of His hands (the spike in this case is the nails of the cross) and was hung on the cross (that was his wall). "Thy walls are continually before me." In other words, "Thy covenants I made to you are continually before me"

• 5 years later...

The importance of walls in Jewish history context cannot be overstated. The return from Persia captivity (capture 586 BC Return 516 BC .. in stages) The difficulty of rebuilding their walls was magnified by their enemies. Without God, it would have been impossible. So the dependence on walls, was a real focus and value issue. The real wall, was the protection of God around them; as they worked. Anti-God forces found tools to use --in the lives of Israel's enemies. Evil always finds willing vessels to work through~with the main purpose of opposing the work of God everywhere. But the real walls of God, are invisible. He protects His people and work; by His power directly and through angels. (Lots of examples) So besides His promise to them --of being with them, and not forgetting them; and having them engraved on his hands ( indellible, unremovable sign of affection ~a cultural custom of the people to burn or engrave their affection focus on their hands)  He is reminding them of His invisible walls of protection, by His power- protecting them from evil forces. He can see all the assaults against His people by invisible evil forces; and is ever attentive to those walls. (Remember Job-  Satan said he couldn't do anything to Job because of the protective walls around Job- God had to lower the walls somewhat for the test of Job's faith to take place. We are in the same situation; there are walls around us, specifically as God's children;~~ but even the world, as fallen as it is, has some level of protection, as a human species, and individually - [Note that; in Romans 1.. there is a common grace of truth and protection of individuals- until they threw truth overboard, professing themselves wise and in a process of rejecting His Authority (for although they knew God ~~from conscience and creation) .. the verses say, God gave them over-- meaning those forces of evil were there all the time.] But with us who have trusted in Christ, we have special walls of protection and are even disciplined when we start going wrong and avoiding our focus on God. 

Edited by Willie Simpson
Misspelling 🙃