well it finally happened

Roseslipper

Nobody panic.  I know, Wikipedia is a lame source, but it was quick information.

The virus may be acquired upon contact with blood or bodily fluids of an infected animal.[1] Spreading through the air has not been documented in the natural environment.

In other words.  WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN

And if you experience any of these

Signs and symptoms of Ebola usually begin suddenly with an influenza-like stage characterized by fatigue, fever, headaches, joint, muscle, and abdominal pain

Consider isolating yourself from family and seeing a doctor.

If you want to enable paranoid mode:

Don't inhale droplets of a cough. This is not considered air born, as it would be contained to a few feet (ebola is not mainly found to attack the lungs of humans so transmission is less likely than what has been seen in a few animal studies.) Wash your hands, and theoretically cook potentially infected meat products well, use good kitchen hygiene. Be clean don't come into contact with spit, blood, and other bodily excretions.

The scary thought, is we don't know for certain where the disease hides between outbreaks (I know fruit bats are suspect). What if there is no outbreak, but the carrier species picks it up here and then we get, ta da, outbreaks every so often like Africa has. Sure ours will be smaller and better contained, but now we gotta deal with it for a long time if that happens.

The scary thought, is we don't know for certain where the disease hides between outbreaks (I know fruit bats are suspect). What if there is no outbreak, but the carrier species picks it up here and then we get, ta da, outbreaks every so often like Africa has. Sure ours will be smaller and better contained, but now we gotta deal with it for a long time if that happens.

One of the leaders in my Boy Scout troop is a researcher in Infectious Disease.  Although his specialty isn't ebola, he's fairly literate about it.  So far as I know, this hasn't even crossed his radar as a concern.  There are promising treatments that should be moving to human trials soon, and even research in a vaccine that is showing a great deal of promise.  

The major factor in stemming of an outbreak is early detection and early treatment.  Despite all of the problems with our healthcare system, we still have very good access to care.  so again, I say, don't panic.

One of the leaders in my Boy Scout troop is a researcher in Infectious Disease.  Although his specialty isn't ebola, he's fairly literate about it.  So far as I know, this hasn't even crossed his radar as a concern.  There are promising treatments that should be moving to human trials soon, and even research in a vaccine that is showing a great deal of promise.  

The major factor in stemming of an outbreak is early detection and early treatment.  Despite all of the problems with our healthcare system, we still have very good access to care.  so again, I say, don't panic.

I'm not attempting to say panic, I am just trying to think, what is realistic that *could* happen that's terrible, if that makes any sense. Cautious pessimism?

I'm really disappointed Roseslipper. I haven't been here in over a year, but I was excited to see your name beginning this topic. I thought that you had found Mr. Right.

Side note: the forum looks really different and what's a warning point? It sounds a bit like shingles....

I'm really disappointed Roseslipper. I haven't been here in over a year, but I was excited to see your name beginning this topic. I thought that you had found Mr. Right.

Side note: the forum looks really different and what's a warning point? It sounds a bit like shingles....

A warning point is when someone gets a site rule infraction.  Don't worry about yours however.  Yours is a test that Heather did back in 2008 the last time the forum software was updated/changed.  Unfortunately those just stay forever.  And you are the only one that sees it.  :)