Jorg Klebingat - Saturday p.m. Session

There will always be enough self doubt to chip away at your faith.

The decision to change is yours and yours alone.

By applying the atonement of Jesus Christ you can increase your faith.

Take responsibility for your own spiritual well being.

Take responsibility for your own physical well being.

Embrace voluntary whole hearted obedience in your life.

Faithful obedience to some commandments doesn’t justify non observance of others.

“Casual in spiritual matters never was happiness.”

Become really really good in repenting thoroughly and quickly.

You should apply it 24/7.

Keeping your ideas on the Savior and what he thinks of you and let the consequences follow.

Become really really good at forgiving.

Forgive everyone, everything, all of the time or at least strive to do so.

Don’t hold grudges, forgive and forget everything.

Accept trials, setbacks and surprises as part of your mortal experience.

Spiritual confidence increases when you accept that trials are allowed to come into your life and that you are doing right.

Acknowledge and face your weaknesses but don’t be immobilized by them.

Ours is the privilege that we are pleasing God in spite of our shortcomings.

Guest LiterateParakeet

One of my ward friends shared on FB that this was her favorite talk.  I was mildly surprised by that because...to be honest...it was my least favorite.  Because my friend liked it and linked it, I listened to it again.  I still can't say I love it, but I did understand his meaning a bit differently the second time.

Two things I take from this--first isn't it wonderful that there are many talks and so that there is more opportunity to touch each of us with what we need.   And second, looking at this talk through the eyes of my friend helped me appreciate it more.  Sometimes looking at something from a different angle is helpful.

I have a good friend who is struggling with a number of things in life right now, which are being exacerbated by a deep depression and excessive thoughts of self-loathing.  I thought of her a lot during this talk, particularly when he said, "Acknowledge and face your weaknesses but don’t be immobilized by them."

Guest LiterateParakeet

He was so bold and so direct and so in your face about his subject.  

Thanks, that does help.  My missionary son said this was his favorite talk too--I bet for the same reason.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I have a good friend who is struggling with a number of things in life right now, which are being exacerbated by a deep depression and excessive thoughts of self-loathing.  I thought of her a lot during this talk, particularly when he said, "Acknowledge and face your weaknesses but don’t be immobilized by them."

I would guess--given my experience with depression--that Elder Holland's talk, The Broken Vessel would be much more helpful to her.  People who are depressed don't generally do well with bold, direct and in your face.  This is precisely why his talk was my least favorite.  

ETA:  I want to be careful to clarify...I'm not saying there was anything wrong with his talk...I'm only saying that style does not work well for me.  I much prefer Elder Holland, or Pres. Uchtdorf's gentle and loving approach.

Edited by LiterateParakeet