What does Moses 6:64-65 mean?

Still_Small_Voice

64 And it came to pass, when the Lord had spoken with Adam, our father, that Adam cried unto the Lord, and he was caught away by the Spirit of the Lord, and was carried down into the water, and was laid under the water, and was brought forth out of the water.

65 And thus he was baptized, and the Spirit of God descended upon him, and thus he was born of the Spirit, and became quickened in the inner man.

Does this mean that Adam was carried away in the Holy Spirit and then baptized by Heavenly Father? 

Nephi also conversed with the "Spirit of the Lord" in 1 Nephi. So did the brother of Jared in the book of Ether when our Savior parted the veil and showed Himself to him. It is none other than our Savior, Jesus Christ, who took Adam down to the water to baptize him with water and then with fire as He promised He would do for all of us who are baptized with water. 

You are right, and He made that very clear to the brother of Jared:

And the Lord saw that the brother of Jared had fallen to the earth; and the Lord said unto him: Arise, why hast thou fallen?

And he saith unto the Lord: I saw the finger of the Lord, and I feared lest he should smite me; for I knew not that the Lord had flesh and blood.

And the Lord said unto him: Because of thy faith thou hast seen that I shall take upon me flesh and blood; and never has man come before me withsuch exceeding faith as thou hast; for were it not so ye could not have seen my finger. Sawest thou more than this?

10 And he answered: Nay; Lord, show thyself unto me....

16 Behold, this body, which ye now behold, is the body of my spirit; and man have I created after the body of my spirit; and even as I appear unto thee to be in the spirit will I appear unto my people in the flesh.

Jesus Christ received a physical body when He was born. But before then, He was able to organize matter, create worlds without number, touch sixteen stones for the brother of Jared with His finger and yes, even "carry" Adam to the water to be baptized.

Edited by skalenfehl

God baptized Adam.  He didn't need any help.  He didn't need to physically perform the ordinance, he performed it spiritually by the power of the priesthood, having the Spirit carry him down into the water.  Adam was thus baptized by God himself.  We should not be too surprised.  Some Old Testament prophets received the priesthood the same way. The Prophet Joseph recorded they "were ordained by God himself." (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 181)

64 And it came to pass, when the Lord had spoken with Adam, our father, that Adam cried unto the Lord, and he was caught away by the Spirit of the Lord, and was carried down into the water, and was laid under the water, and was brought forth out of the water.

65 And thus he was baptized, and the Spirit of God descended upon him, and thus he was born of the Spirit, and became quickened in the inner man.

Does this mean that Adam was carried away in the Holy Spirit and then baptized by Heavenly Father? 

I would point out that everyone baptized in these last days; that the person holding the priesthood stands in as proxy for G-d (doing so in his name) in performing the baptism.  That G-d would perform such presthood ordinances when there is none other that can act as his proxy should not surprise anyone.