20 things you should know about your Pastor.

Maureen

I'm wondering if this might also fit with LDS bishops in some ways.

Here are twenty things I believe are true about most pastors I know. I hope you will work together with your pastor for the good of the gospel!

1. He loves God and you a lot. (Be mindful.)

2. He is a painfully limited human being. (Be realistic.)

3. He probably has a pretty low view of his “performance”. (Be kind.)

4. He wishes he were a better preacher. (Be awake.)

5. He really does want God’s best for you and your family. (Be open-hearted.)

6. His work knows no time or locational boundaries. (Be patient.)

7. He hears much more negative information than positive. (Be encouraging.)

8. He has chosen a vocation in which few remain. (Be praying.)

9. He has chosen a highly leadership-intensive call. (Be lead-able.)

10. He needs help. (Be available.)

11. His God-given vision is bigger than himself and the church. (Be faith-filled.)

12. He wants to personally meet all the needs, but knows he can’t. (Be understanding.)

13. He’s going to say some dumb things every now and then. (Be forgiving.)

14. His family is patient with you, so be patient with them. (Be conscientious.)

15. He is greatly encouraged by your faithfulness. (Be there.)

16. He is passionate for God’s Word to be made practical to you. (Be hungry.)

17. He longs for church to be your spiritual oasis. (Be loving.)

18. He dreams for your and your family’s spiritual health. (Be receptive.)

19. He needs to hear that you prayed for him. (Be interceding.)

20. He’s just a regular guy. (Be real.)

http://caryschmidt.com/2014/02/20-things-you-should-know-about-your-pastor/

M.

Edited by Maureen

• 3 weeks later...

23. He probably is pressured by his congregation to do a lot of things that the congregation should be doing itself, as members themselves of the body of Christ, not just 'spectators' and 'pep club.'

• 1 month later...

I noticed nobody answered Maureen's inquiry about whether LDS bishops have any of these struggles.  Probably not, huh?  :P

Of course not, we make perfect little congregations.  :P

Edited by jerome1232

• 3 weeks later...

I would say 23/23.

Just because an LDS bishop is not being paid doesn't mean the job is any less tough.

What about:

Do Bishops ever preach? As in give a talk? I guess they speak at funerals and such.

Do Bishops choose being a Bishop? I guess they accept the calling. Is that the same thing as choose?

M.

Edited by Maureen

What about:

Do Bishops ever preach? As in give a talk? I guess they speak at funerals and such.

Do Bishops choose being a Bishop? I guess they accept the calling. Is that the same thing as choose?

M.

Yes they do give talks and sometimes teach lessons as well.

Comparisons are a risky business here, because we either know what pastors do or we know what bishops do.  Then, we assume we know the other side, and probably know just enough to trip over ourselves.  With all that said, any fair comparisons would probably have to be between what we Protestants call "bivocational pastors" (those that pastor congregations and work outside, as well) and LDS bishops.  Ironically, the one comparison that is probably fair is that the LDS bishops are working with larger congregations than most bivocational pastors.  Not more/less workload--just more people.

Edited by prisonchaplain

Bishops do occasionally give talks. For example, the bishop normally gives a talk or sermon at the annual ward conference.

Bishops choose being a bishop the same way I chose to be a Scoutmaster or any other Church member chooses to fulfill his/her calling. The bishop is called to the position and accepts. In that sense, he chooses it. There is no sign-up sheet for being put on "I'm willing to be bishop" status, though.

Bishops do occasionally give talks. For example, the bishop normally gives a talk or sermon at the annual ward conference.

Bishops choose being a bishop the same way I chose to be a Scoutmaster or any other Church member chooses to fulfill his/her calling. The bishop is called to the position and accepts. In that sense, he chooses it. There is no sign-up sheet for being put on "I'm willing to be bishop" status, though.

I am looking for the sign up sheet to remove my name from consideration ..... Never have found that list. Gggggrrrrrrr