Any pianists here? I have a teaching question! :)

MormonGuitarGirl

Hi guys,

I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with my piano teacher (I taught myself for about 2 weeks before starting with her in October) and would really appreciate any advice. :)

She's been teaching for over 25 years and we get along great. But...

I do not feel challenged.

She put me in the Piano Adventures Primer series, and then when I was done with that she got me Alfred's Simply Classic Level 1, Faber's PlayTime Classics Level 1 and a Piano Adventures Christmas book which is 2B.

I've since finished the PlayTime book and honestly, the 2B is super easy.

Thing is, I think she knows the books are too easy, as she's ordering me another one and told me last week that I definitely need new books, but I don't want to go about asking her wrong.

I'm torn between being myself and keeping my mouth shut. She's fine with me working ahead but I don't want more of the same.

In truth, I know in my heart that Heavenly Father has given me a talent for piano. I do not doubt that in the least, and I want to use it carefully, volunteer, play at Church, etc. I know it's because of Him that I'm doing so well.

I'm very, very grateful, I just want to make sure I make the most of this gift without coming off as a jerk.

Do you think I should say anything?

Thanks so much! :)

MGG, I have sensed a common theme in several of your posts. It seems to go like this: "I am developing this certain talent, and I feel I have outgrown my teacher. What should I do?"

In every case, the answer seems clear: You should find another teacher. This is not about whether your current teacher will have his/her feelings hurt. (By the way: S/He won't. This happens all the time.) This is about you feeling like you're making progress.

Now, if every time you get a new teacher, you start saying "I've outgrown him" within six months, then it might be worth examining whether you've really outgrown your teacher or whether some other issue is at play here. Switching teachers is not a casual thing; it takes a few months to develop a good rapport with a new teacher and start getting really effective teaching and learning going on.

But until you reach that point, just find yourself a new teacher and quit worrying about hurting your current teacher's feelings. In fact, you may even want to discuss this with your current teacher and ask him/her for suggestions on finding a new teacher.

Hi Vort!

Thanks so much for your advice! I really appreciate your taking the time to comment. :)

Honestly, it took me almost a year to reach a fork in the road with my guitar teacher (that was the first time I'd ever had anything happen like that), and I don't think I've outgrown my piano teacher at all; she's told me before that she doesn't want me to get frustrated. I just have to figure out how to tell her I can handle a little more. Granted, I can't handle everything, but I really do feel like I can deal with stuff a little harder. I'm sure I haven't outgrown her because she's been teaching so long.

Oh, and actually, I still have the same guitar teacher; I just had a talk with him and we developed a new plan. Things are much better now. :)

I didn't flourish with the piano until I started to buy music that I was interested in and it stretched my abilities. But, I had already been in lessons for a number of years since I had started as a 5 year old, and already knew the basics. There's nothing wrong with asking your teacher for more difficult pieces to learn. Don't overly stress about it.

I teach piano and use that curriculum regularly. You certainly would be bored stiff. I always shake my head a little when a teacher puts a student over 8 or 9 years old in the primer books. Do you happen to know which new book she has ordered for you? 

Definitely talk to her about being more challenged. Sometimes a student and teacher aren't a good fit, and that's okay. If you can't work it out with her, make sure to interview other possible teachers and see if you can get a feel for whether they'll push you the way you're hoping.