Gifts

Backroads

So, gifts are not my love language. Oh, I like them well enough, but I just don't truly get them.

I actually prefer the mass gifts--little goodies given out. It's not clutter, it still shows care, and I don't feel people think they are obligated to do my household shopping.

Where do you stand on gifts?

As far as receiving and giving gits I tend towards smaller, more numerous, thoughtful gifts rather than large grand gifts*. I react primarily to the thought involved and when I'm out shopping and buy Beefche some minor nicknack or treat the primary message I'm trying to convey is, "You weren't with me but I was thinking of you." 

*Not that I'd turn down a new car if one of you wants to give me one.

I am grateful for anything I receive.

As for giving, I love shopping, and I love shopping for others. For people I don't know well, I've learned to stick with generic gift ideas, mostly gift cards of places that are common shopping spots. For people I know well and are close with, I gauge what is right for them by their personality, and whether they'll actually use it. Some people prefer practical gifts. Some people prefer "toys". Some people prefer money. Just depends. In the last couple years, probably since I've had my daughter, I'm doing more homemade and handmade goodies. My daughter likes to help with this. For my husband and my best friend, I am known for spending a pretty penny on both, and every year it's always been a hit, but they get other stuff from me too, practical stuff, etc.

I love the spirit of giving....just so everyone feels good. We do name exchange with our family and have a dollar amount. If anyone goes over that amount it's their choice. We had our Grandaughters with us this weekend. My wife and those two girls made cookies with Grammy yesterday. They packaged them all up and at our Ward today they passed them out to everyone leaving. For those that can't do sweets we had apples and oranges. I got a big kick out of my 6 year old grandaughter ...when she passed out the treats she wished everyone a Merry Christmas. She even stood by the chapel doors when the other Ward got out and passed some out to them.

So, gifts are not my love language. Oh, I like them well enough, but I just don't truly get them.

I actually prefer the mass gifts--little goodies given out. It's not clutter, it still shows care, and I don't feel people think they are obligated to do my household shopping.

Where do you stand on gifts?

I love giving people gifts: picking out just the right thing to make them smile.

But I don't care for receiving material gifts myself.  I'm honestly very happy with everything I have and don't feel like I need anything else (and my house has enough stuff).