Pursuing Re-baptism After Name Removal in 2012

OhThatMatty

I am just beginning to coordinate meetings with my local Elder Missionaries, and also spoke to the Executive Secretary in my ward about scheduling a meeting with my Bishop as soon as possible for the following reason:

--I had my name removed from the Church records back in September 2012. This was due largely to some personal circumstances and what I saw as conflict with leadership at that time. I am just now beginning to approach the possibility of re-baptism into the church.

I realize that a former member must wait at least one year before pursuing rebaptism, but it has been over 27 months since I left membership. 

For those who may have experienced this, and waited for over one year...once the waiting process is over, if one is able to live the commandments, does it take EVEN LONGER to pursue rebaptism, or is this just dependent upon one's local bishopric. 

I'd appreciate any help anyone could give! Thank you in advance! I'm new on here!   :) 

Matt

Welcome.  I'm not familiar with the rebaptism process, but not long ago I heard a podcast interview with a woman who had left the Church and then three years later decided to return.  She said her bishop was enthusiastic about her return but that the process took over four months.  From what I understand, she had to go through the missionary discussions again, and the missionaries were sluggish about inviting her to be rebaptized until they had checked off all the teaching items in their checklist, even stacking paper cups on the woman's table to demonstrate the structure and organization of the Church.  She also added that a lot of "troop rotation" (my paraphrase) was occurring among the missionaries in that area and that she had to work with three separate missionary teams.  So it's unclear if her experience is the rule or the exception.

But best wishes on your return.  I hope you'll let us know how it goes... I, for one, would find your experience very interesting and enriching.   

From what I have observed, generally speaking, a person who has continued to attend church during the period in which their name has been removed, is usually not required to go through the missionary discussions process. This requirement is often applied to those who have been away from church for a long time or those whose refusal to accept basic church doctrines was the reason for, or a contribution to, their name removal. I have also observed that once the requirements for rebaptism have been met, much of the slowness that often seems to happen is more a result of administrative inefficiencies, and the usual problems, delays and multiple steps that any large organisation seems to have in making an important decision. The bishop and the stake president have things they need to do arrange for a rebaptism, and both of these men are always very busy, then the application for rebaptism must be approved at the Area level, and then I think Salt Lake has to review the whole thing as well, and I'm not sure how many levels of review there might be within Salt Lake. Local leaders are more likely to move a bit more quickly if they are pushed and if you keep following up with them and sometime it might also be helpful to work closely with the stake clerk as sometimes Stake Presidents ask their clerks to assist with preparing some of the paper work.  

Thanks for the feedback, folks! I'll definitely try and keep you updated. The missionaries came by last night, and they are unfamiliar with the whole process as well. Fortunately, the offered to contact my bishop to try and see the process behind all of this. Wish me luck!

I too have been pursuing re-baptism. I left the church in 2003 via name removal. I was originally a convert in high school. 

I have been attending church now for 2 plus months. My bishop thought I should wait 6-9 months and then go before a disciplinary council. My bishop has not even contacted Salt Lake for my previous records, which are needed to determine worthiness and previous transgressions.

I think the long waits are due to not knowing church policy and confusion. If no transgressions are found, all the Bishop needs to do is interview you and fill out a baptism and confirmation record as a re-baptism. But the process is taking so long. I did receive a Priesthood Blessing to help with my patience in this process. But 2 plus months in and no progress.

Any ideas on what I should do next? I thought about going to my stake president.

Any ideas on what I should do next? I thought about going to my stake president.

Sorry you're going through this, it sounds very frustrating.  Unless something really sinister is going on in your ward, I'd say your bishop is the one to set the terms of your rebaptism.  But you have a right to know those terms and to understand his approach for measuring your progress.

If I were you, I'd meet with the bishop and ask what progress has occurred since the last time you spoke with him.  If his answer is "none," then I think you have a right to be upset and perhaps to escalate it.  But I doubt this is the case.  And I'd keep meeting with him periodically to ask what progress has been made and whether I could help with anything.  I'd also make it clear that I want to be patient and obedient throughout the entire process but that I am committed to being rebaptized.  

However, his definition of progress may be different from yours.  Might he simply be waiting for several months to be certain that your decision to rejoin the Church is rock-solid?  Rejoining the Church after having your name removed is similar in some ways to remarrying a former spouse.  Long engagements are often a good thing, even though waiting isn't always easy.

In the meantime, nothing is stopping you from acting and behaving (with few exceptions) as if you had already been baptized.  And that itself might prod the process along.

I am just beginning to coordinate meetings with my local Elder Missionaries, and also spoke to the Executive Secretary in my ward about scheduling a meeting with my Bishop as soon as possible for the following reason:

--I had my name removed from the Church records back in September 2012. This was due largely to some personal circumstances and what I saw as conflict with leadership at that time. I am just now beginning to approach the possibility of re-baptism into the church.

I realize that a former member must wait at least one year before pursuing rebaptism, but it has been over 27 months since I left membership.

For those who may have experienced this, and waited for over one year...once the waiting process is over, if one is able to live the commandments, does it take EVEN LONGER to pursue rebaptism, or is this just dependent upon one's local bishopric.

I'd appreciate any help anyone could give! Thank you in advance! I'm new on here! :)

Matt

My advice (I have not experienced this) rejoice at they home coming! Wonderful to count you as a brother again...so come on in the water is warm. :)

• 2 months later...

I am happy to report that after 5 months of Bishops meetings, and a stake president approval, I was approved for rebaptism, set for March 21st. This process has not been an easy one, but to all those seeking it, don't give up hope. There is a light around the corner to those who seek it.

2 Nephi 27:23

For behold, I am God; and I am a God of miracles; and I will show unto the world that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and I work not among the children of men save it be according to their faith.

I am happy to report that after 5 months of Bishops meetings, and a stake president approval, I was approved for rebaptism, set for March 21st. This process has not been an easy one, but to all those seeking it, don't give up hope. There is a light around the corner to those who seek it.

For behold, I am God; and I am a God of miracles; and I will show unto the world that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and I work not among the children of men save it be according to their faith.

That's awesome !! Thanks for sharing

Way to go!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I'd appreciate any help anyone could give! Thank you in advance! I'm new on here!   :) 

Matt

All I can say is, come on in the water's warm. :)