Less Active LDS Member Who Joins Another Church

PolarVortex

I was reading the story here about the recent John Dehlin drama, and the author wrote the following:

It’s important to note that according to The Church Handbook of Instruction, joining another church is automatic grounds for a Church disciplinary hearing.

So if an LDS member in good standing becomes inactive and joins another church but then leaves it, is that member required to go through a disciplinary hearing before he or she is allowed to become active again in the LDS Church?  (Assume there are no other issues present, such as serious sin or requests for name removal.)

Keep in mind that "joining another church" can be a really big deal, as when one converts to Judaism or Islam or even Catholicism.  But it can also be pretty petty for some progressive Protestant churches, in which becoming a member has about as much ritual as getting a library card.

My husband left the church, became non-denominational Christian, left that church, attended many churches to eventually go back to the LDS church. He had to go through a repentance process with the bishop and stake president (dunno if that was disciplinary action) before he can hold the priesthood again. It took years such that when I got baptized, 4 years into our marriage, he was not authorized to baptize me.

I think the "excommunicate for joining another church" is one of those things that's only enforced when the person and/or church in question is so dramatic that the LDS leadership feel compelled to take action.

I don't think that causally attending a non-denominational Protestant church is excommunicate-worth in itself (just my opinion).

I was reading the story here about the recent John Dehlin drama, and the author wrote the following:

It’s important to note that according to The Church Handbook of Instruction, joining another church is automatic grounds for a Church disciplinary hearing.

So if an LDS member in good standing becomes inactive and joins another church but then leaves it, is that member required to go through a disciplinary hearing before he or she is allowed to become active again in the LDS Church?  (Assume there are no other issues present, such as serious sin or requests for name removal.)

Keep in mind that "joining another church" can be a really big deal, as when one converts to Judaism or Islam or even Catholicism.  But it can also be pretty petty for some progressive Protestant churches, in which becoming a member has about as much ritual as getting a library card.

Yes.....if someone joins another church and starts attending that church yes they could go through a discipline process...it all depends on the Bishop about what happens.

Well let break this down.

Before the local leaders can do anything they need to be aware that something should be done.  This requires that the leaders have a pretty good understanding of what is happening in the life of the Less Active.  Gaining this understanding is going to be highly dependent on the individuals in question.

Second disciplinary hearings need evidence.  Leaders should not simply do stuff because they want to.  This means disciplinary hearings are usually either based on subject's confessions,  or on the subject public statements.  If the subject in question simply stops going, stops responding to church leaders, and is reasonably low key about joining another Church the LDS church leaders aren't going to have much to work with.

Third such disciplinary hearings take time and effort above and beyond want is normally required of the Local leaders.  So why pursue it unless they think it will make a difference?  Help those trying to get right, cut off those doing damage, absolutely because that is high priority... But for someone that has simply moved on or changed their mind?  Probably not so much.

Guest MormonGator

I'm 100% with the church on this issue. If you join another church for whatever reason, you obviously do not want to be a Mormon anymore. While that is sad, it's not a problem with the Latter Day Saints, it's a problem with you. 

I don't mean to sound harsh. Apologies if it does. 

Ugh, another obstacle on my path back, then.

And the non-LDS church I joined was so bland and generic that all I had to do was fill out a little white card with my contact information.  They were far more interested in my annual pledge than in anything I believed.  I stayed for a while and realized that it was just a social organization.  We were told not to use the J-word ("Jesus") too much because it would offend non-Christians in the congregation.  I formally terminated my membership many years ago.

If I return to the LDS Church, I'm sure the bishop will be asking me what I was doing during my 19 years away, and I could not lie.  I don't think I have the courage to risk a disciplinary hearing at this time.  Hmm.  I'll need to think about this a lot more.  But I'm grateful for everyone's comments here, so thank you... and best wishes.  It's been fun here.

Ugh, another obstacle on my path back, then.

And the non-LDS church I joined was so bland and generic that all I had to do was fill out a little white card with my contact information.  They were far more interested in my annual pledge than in anything I believed.  I stayed for a while and realized that it was just a social organization.  We were told not to use the J-word ("Jesus") too much because it would offend non-Christians in the congregation.  I formally terminated my membership many years ago.

If I return to the LDS Church, I'm sure the bishop will be asking me what I was doing during my 19 years away, and I could not lie.  I don't think I have the courage to risk a disciplinary hearing at this time.  Hmm.  I'll need to think about this a lot more.  But I'm grateful for everyone's comments here, so thank you... and best wishes.  It's been fun here.

To be blunt... you might not face one at all...  Its the bishop/Stake President call of course.

But one of the main points of a disciplinary hearing is to help one repent.  If you have stopped going to the other church and you are picking up your activity in the LDS church.. chances are the only thing they will really want to see is you continuing on.  They might feel that a hearing is simply not necessary.  Like I said before they really don't want to do them unless really necessary.

To be blunt... you might not face one at all...  Its the bishop/Stake President call of course.

I'd go so far as to say "probably won't" face one at all. (edit: unless there are other reasons to as well...like if you, say...murdered someone in that time. ;))

Edited by The Folk Prophet

PolarVortex, I'm not a bishop and never have been, so my opinion is worth exactly what you pay for it. And the decision is your bishop's and stake president's, not mine or yours.

Having said that...

I would be shocked -- SHOCKED, I say (in my best Foghorn Leghorn voice) -- if there were any disciplinary actions leveled against you for having attended or "joined" another church. Such discipline is not intended as a punishment. When the prodigal son returned, his father didn't send him to his room for a week. Seriously, I don't believe there is the least reason for concern on your part.

And, you know, even if the bishop had some reservations and decided something or other should be done...so what? You're a step closer than you were before. It isn't about shame, it's about getting right in your life and before God.

I'm with Vort.  I think if you had gotten baptized or joined their ministry or something, that would be a different story.  But supporting a different church financially while you were inactive?  I don't see you sitting in the hotseat tearfully admitting sin - not exactly sure where the sin would be here.

I've found that a heck of a lot of worries just go away, when you're open and honest with your bishop about the whats and whys of past and current behavior.  Most bishops I've met are more than happy to work with folks where they are, to help them move forward.  

When I returned to church after 6 years of inactivity (which included goofing off and "joining" some satirical online UFO religion just for laughs), my bishop asked me a few questions.  Had I committed any serious sins?  Do I have a testimony?  What does that testimony look like?  Then he welcomed me back and suggested I just pick up where I left off 6 years ago, and go back to honoring my baptismal covenants, and work from there.

Edited by NeuroTypical

I was baptized into the Church in 1972. I walked away from the Church around 1978. I didn't go to any Church at all for about 10 years. Then I started going to a Non Denominational Church for about a year....AND I got baptized in that Church. I left that Church and started going to a Pentecostal one for about 5 years. Left there and didn't go to any Church until the Spirit started whispering to me about coming back to our Church...the true Church.

I called and asked if the Missionaries would meet with me so I could start learning about the Church again. They did... I talked with the Bishop... and the only things that happened is I was soooooooooooooooo welcomed back. I was told I could even start doing Baptisms for the dead about 3 months after coming back and got my full recommend in 10 months when I went and got my endowment.

I did not have to be baptized again. And, I was not reprimanded for going to other Churches. Of course I was asked some questions about if I believe in our Church and if I had a testimony...which I did.

So happy to be back this past 5 years....and even got sealed to my husband and to my mom and dad. The Lord is good!

I was baptized into the Church in 1972. I walked away from the Church around 1978. I didn't go to any Church at all for about 10 years. Then I started going to a Non Denominational Church for about a year....AND I got baptized in that Church. I left that Church and started going to a Pentecostal one for about 5 years. Left there and didn't go to any Church until the Spirit started whispering to me about coming back to our Church...the true Church.

I called and asked if the Missionaries would meet with me so I could start learning about the Church again. They did... I talked with the Bishop... and the only things that happened is I was soooooooooooooooo welcomed back. I was told I could even start doing Baptisms for the dead about 3 months after coming back and got my full recommend in 10 months when I went and got my endowment.

I did not have to be baptized again. And, I was not reprimanded for going to other Churches. Of course I was asked some questions about if I believe in our Church and if I had a testimony...which I did.

So happy to be back this past 5 years....and even got sealed to my husband and to my mom and dad. The Lord is good!

Awesome....thank you for sharing this. Edited by Palerider

I notice that only joining another church is mentioned...nothing about forming one.  Anybody know a good real estate agent in Guyana?   :D

Horrible as that event was, it's interesting that we remember it in the popular phrase "drinking the Koolaid".

So if an LDS member in good standing becomes inactive and joins another church but then leaves it, is that member required to go through a disciplinary hearing before he or she is allowed to become active again in the LDS Church? (Assume there are no other issues present, such as serious sin or requests for name removal.)

Keep in mind that "joining another church" can be a really big deal, as when one converts to Judaism or Islam or even Catholicism. But it can also be pretty petty for some progressive Protestant churches, in which becoming a member has about as much ritual as getting a library card.

Disciplinary courts are for those who would want to repent and reconcile. Joining another Church, only leads to name being removed from the roles.

When I was a clerk, I came across several less active members who had joined other churches. We always have them information to make them aware of their option of resigning membership. None of them took it. The only circumstance I can imagine we would have initiated a disciplinary council would have been if a person had joined the clergy or vestry of another church. And even then, we would have done it so that their membership in the LDS Church wouldn't compromise their ability to lead in their chosen church.

For what it's worth, I'm an active member in good standing who financially contributes to a local Episcopalian church led by a homosexual pastor. My involvement there has created no problems with my membership. If your bishop makes an issue of your church attendance during an extended inactivity, then I would wager to say that you were unfortunate in the leadership raffle, but such action would not be indicative of the broader culture*.

(Anecdote: when I was serving in Kyiv, Ukraine, I met a woman who had been excommunicated by her bishop in England--whom she had never met--where she had gone inactive on an embassy assignment. Her excommunication came after nearly five years if inactivity after she had switched posts to South Africa and had a child out of wedlock. Another 3 years later she showed up in Kyiv and wanted to begin moving toward joining the church. After hearing her story and reviewing her records, the mission president said of the bishop, "what a jerk." The point being, we should give the less active a fair amount of lee way regarding the choices made during their activity and instead focus on helping them make use of the Atonement)

Well, after a week of terror in which I was too frightened to return to this thread, I had a sudden burst of courage today and came back to read the remainder of everyone's comments.

Thank you all, your remarks were very comforting and encouraging.  Perhaps I can find my way back after all.