More parenting questions

Bini

My 3-year old daughter goes to preschool with a group of seven other children, two boys and five girls, all about the same age. She's made a small group of friends and is particularly fond of one of the little boys. I've watched them interact and they get along well. Tonight, my daughter spent a good amount of time making a nice drawing for him, and wants to give it to him next class. I'm nervous about how this might play out. It'd break my heart if she gave it to him and he tore it up or wouldn't take it because of "coodies". My husband and girl friend insist that the coodies plague doesn't kick-in at this age and think she'll be fine. Thoughts? As of now, I've put it in an envelope and got it ready for her to give him.

Yeah, at 3 years old I wouldn't worry about that. He might be totally disinterested at worst. If it was my 3-year-old boy, he'd be really happy to get something from someone. But they don't care about boy/girl difference in that way, that I've seen with any of my kids, until much older.

It's ok.  Even if the boy tears it up right infront of her or refuses to take it because of "coodies" or even if the boy takes it, gets so impressed, and declares she's now his girlfriend (happened to my boy in Kindergarten).

These are experiences that can build her character and her ability to face challenges in the world around her and you are right there to explain/guide and kiss away her tears (or if it was me at 3 years old - pull me off the back of the boy as I try to beat him up).

This is within the realm of to-be-expected-out-of-3-year-old-child events.

Edited by anatess

It is sad that our society has made something so natural to be something of a concern. I appreciate that you have a little one who looks outward and readily expresses love and caring.  Many 3 yr olds do, but not all. I loved watching my granddaughter reaching out to a distraught child in dance class when no other children seems to care. It was heartwarming for me.