Any Matt Walsh fans here?? :)

CatholicLady

Guest LiterateParakeet

I know who he is and I understand that his style is intentional to get attention and make his point, but -- bleh.  I liked him at first, but then one post really turned me off.  I had to look at his bolt history to remember what it was but --  it was this one:

http://themattwalshblog.com/2014/08/12/robin-williams-didnt-die-disease-died-choice/

He wrote this just too soon after Robin Williams death--too soon to be calling attention to himself with his in-your-face opinions.  

And yes tl;dr --- every post. 

Edited by LiterateParakeet

He's a conservative Christian blogger I'm a fan of. Just curious if anyone else here liked him or knew who he was.

Here's a recent article of his that I really like:

http://themattwalshblog.com/2015/01/14/marriage-wasnt-meant/

I'm a fan of Joe walsh...... I can't recall any Matt walsh tho.

Who is Joe Walsh? Lol.

And yeah, I don't always agree with him. I usually do though... maybe 90% of the time. I also didn't really know what to think about the Robin Williams' post. But he's had many other posts that I thought had been very good.

Edited by Blackmarch

Who is Joe Walsh? Lol.

I don't know Matt Walsh either, but I love Joe Walsh!  Well, that is, if we're talking about the Joe Walsh who became famous for his Hotel California guitar riff.  If we're talking about the Joe Walsh the politician from Illinois... I don't know him either.

I know who he is and I understand that his style is intentional to get attention and make his point, but -- bleh.  I liked him at first, but then one post really turned me off.  I had to look at his bolt history to remember what it was but --  it was this one:

http://themattwalshblog.com/2014/08/12/robin-williams-didnt-die-disease-died-choice/

He wrote this just too soon after Robin Williams death--too soon to be calling attention to himself with his in-your-face opinions.  

And yes tl;dr --- every post. 

I didn't think it was an "in-your-face" opinion. I think it was a well-considered essay and a desperately needed counterbalance to the nauseating "Robin-is-in-a-far-better-place" tripe being dished out neck-deep for weeks after his suicide.

Hey, if it's such a better place, shouldn't we *all* commit suicide?

I might feel differently if one of my loved ones killed himself. On the other hand, I might not. Suicide is indeed a monstrous act. I don't know if it's "murder", and I think it's less bad than killing someone else. But the fallout of suicide is lifelong pain and misery for the loved ones still living and a bad example set for everyone else watching. Matt Walsh basically stood alone in pointing out that this Emperor had no clothes. Good for him.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I didn't think it was an "in-your-face" opinion.

FWIW, I think his whole style (not just that post) is in your face.  

I understood his point.  It was just too soon for me.   

I also disagree with his opinion that 'suicide is a choice".  It would be if one were of a sound mind, but in my opinion quite often when people get to the point of being suicidal they are not thinking clearly at all.  For example, I  had a friend who attempted suicide.  He took his father's valium and a beer and sat down to take them.  Then he thought, "I can't drink this beer it's against the Word of Wisdom."  So he "just" took the pills.  

I look back on the time that I was suicidal and I was not in my right mind either.  I thought I should go to the hospital, but then worried that it might upset my children to have their mother in the mental hospital...especially so close to Christmas.  I should have realized it would be MUCH harder on them if I did it.  But I actually believed I would be doing them a favor.  Clearly I was not being rational.

Often people who commit suicide are mentally ill in some fashion, so they can't be considered to be of sound mind, so it's not a choice for them.

So while I understand his intent, I disagree with his conclusion.  

Edited by LiterateParakeet

I thought I posted on this topic already here, but I did a search and don't see it... hmmm.  Forgive me if I am repeating an earlier post.

Anyway, I cross the Golden Gate Bridge every week on the way to a class in Sausalito, and I'm very much aware of the debate around adding suicide barriers under the bridge.  The bridge authority stopped keeping an official count of suicides right before the number reached 1000, and the unofficial count is now around 1600.  On average, someone jumps once every two weeks or so, but it's not reported.  During one especially bad month in 2013, someone jumped every three days.  Not all bodies are recovered, but many are.  A former boss of mine went to a San Francisco church where the choir director suddenly vanished.  Everyone thought she had run away or been abducted, but her body washed up a few weeks later with all the signs of a bridge jump.

I mention these grisly details because one interesting thing has come out of all this tragedy.  A small number of people jump and survive.  (One survived on her first jump, but not her second.)  From what I have read, almost all the survivors report the same feeling: they step off into space, they feel the sickening weightlessness of falling, and then, for four short seconds, they suddenly regret that they jumped.  I wouldn't be surprised if Robin Williams felt a flash of regret the moment before he died.

Maybe some day we will make a drug that can let people feel that regret before they pull the trigger or step off a ledge.  In any case, if you're curious about how depressed people see the world, the following TED talk was absolutely amazing.  After watching it, I really feel more forgiving and loving to people who struggle with depression.  I used to run from them.

The problem with the "too soon" argument is that the topic is, well, topical for only a short time.

Suppose Walsh waited four weeks to post his thoughts. What would be the response? "Why are you talking about this? That's old news! Pick something relevant, for Pete's sake!" More importantly, what of the foolish and/or impressionable people who might consider suicide because, hey, Robin Williams did it, and look how nice everyone is talking about him now? Heck, they're saying he's some kind of hero! And he's in a better place! Yeah, I'll get me some of that!

Walsh may just possibly have saved someone's life by pointing out not only the ugly evil of suicide, but the stupidity of those who lionize people who kill themselves. That seems more than enough to counterbalance the bruised feelings of the prissy know-it-alls who insist that anyone who speaks a word against their pet causes is just too mean and awful for words.

(No, I do not have you in mind, LP.)

Edited by Vort

Guest LiterateParakeet

Vort, I understand.  You do make good points.  I just miss him--Robin Williams.  It feels weird to say that;  logically I realize that I didn't really know him.  But emotions are rarely logical, and I am sad that he is gone.  And so very sad to think he was in such pain.  

But you are right that we shouldn't portray suicide as a positive thing.  We never want people who are in their right mind to think of it as a valid choice. 

If people who are in their right minds think suicide is valid, I'm not sure there's much hope of reaching them. I am more concerned about those who are perhaps not quite in their right mind, who are weak and impressionable, who could be led to thinking that suicide isn't really a bad option.

Guest LiterateParakeet

If people who are in their right minds think suicide is valid, I'm not sure there's much hope of reaching them. 

LOL, I can't disagree there.  

About the rest of what you said...I can't really disagree with that either.  I certainly wouldn't want them to be "given" that idea.  And perhaps people are more vulnerable to suggestion when they are feeling that low.  

Okay, I see your point...and Matt Walsh's.  But I still don't like his style in general.  :)

The problem with the "too soon" argument is that the topic is, well, topical for only a short time.

Suppose Walsh waited four weeks to post his thoughts. What would be the response? "Why are you talking about this? That's old news! Pick something relevant, for Pete's sake!" More importantly, what of the foolish and/or impressionable people who might consider suicide because, hey, Robin Williams did it, and look how nice everyone is talking about him now? Heck, they're saying he's some kind of hero! And he's in a better place! Yeah, I'll get me some of that!

Walsh may just possibly have saved someone's life by pointing out not only the ugly evil of suicide, but the stupidity of those who lionize people who kill themselves. That seems more than enough to counterbalance the bruised feelings of the prissy know-it-alls who insist that anyone who speaks a word against their pet causes is just too mean and awful for words.

(No, I do not have you in mind, LP.)

Great point, Vort. I think it's one of those things... a double edged sword. But I do believe he had nothing but the best of intentions when he wrote it.