Distribution Center Dress Shirts

allenjblodgett

I'm intrigued by the prices of the distribution center clothing. They're found on store.lds.org in the Garments and Temple Clothing section. Is there anything about these shirts that are only meant to be worn in the temple, or can these be used as everyday dress shirts?

I've lost a bunch of weight and don't want to go overboard on clothing prices.

My last job required me to be in a white shirt and tie every day, so I got a bunch of shirts from the distribution center. They're a great deal, but they have sewn-in plastic collar stays that tend to crack after six months or so. Once that happens, the collar tips tend to fly up instead of staying down like they're supposed to.

If you just need one or two white shirts for Sunday use, I'd spring for higher quality shirts.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

The Van Heusen shirts are of better quality than the one other brand available. My Hubby buys white shirts ONLY from lds.org online store, and only buys Van Heusen. Never has anything gone wrong with them, and I wash his white shirts after each wearing. I also spray Zout on the collar and inside of the cuffs - no problems. 

Amazon sells the same for the same price, but unless you are a Prime customer, you pay shipping. At lds.org online- there is no shipping charges. Um, at least no shipping in the continental USA. 

I'm a really big fan of Jos. A. Banks shirts. But they're SO expensive (relatively...I'm sure there are more expensive shirts out there).

The distribution shirts I got I hardly ever wear. They are "cheap" in all senses of the word. But that doesn't mean they are not a good choice if one needs new inexpensive shirts.

As a potential compromise, consider Kirkland brand shirts from Costco. They run around $15 I think and they're much higher quality.

There's a 'Stafford' style at JCPenney that my husband likes since it has a 'stretch collar' and if you play your cards right (sale + coupon) you can get a better deal than what the distribution store offers.

Need to have a Penney store near you for that. Broke my heart when Penney's closed up here. The closest one in 53 miles from me. They were the only place close to purchase men's suits at an affordable price. 

I used to shop at the regular stores like JCPenney, but the siren call of outlet malls finally reeled me in.  You can get some phenomenal steals there, especially in January and in months that start with an "A".  It's actually cheaper for me to drive several hours to an outlet mall and shop for clothes all afternoon than to purchase clothes near my house.  I can get lots of shirts and trousers for what seems like pocket change. 

Edited by PolarVortex

Keep in mind that you get what you pay for in clothing as well as other things in life. I would spend some extra money and get something nice, it will last longer and look 10x better. 

think Lorenzo Umo, or David Donahue. These are shirts that you will have for years, many years of you take care of them.  I have no idea what a distribution center shirt costs, but someone mentioned they had sewn in collar stays....tells you all you need to know.

All this talk about white shirts reminded me of my mission in Germany.  While I was there it was the custom to get the new Elders outfitted with "Seidensticker"brand white shirts.  The main feature of this shirt was an almost indestructible stiff white collar and it was nearly wrinkle free.  Whenever we saw an American white shirt with its limp collar, we missionaries would invariably make fun of it and would call it a "noodle" shirt.  Aw, the memories.