LDS Campers?

georgia2

My family took a cross country camping trip several years ago. Many times we could look at a family and guess that they were LDS. When we asked if they were they were shocked we could tell. There were several sites we were at that would have been wonderful if the whole site were members only! Several months ago I started a web site to hopefully get other LDS campers to start a dialogue as to their favorite sites, when they were camping so the rest of us could camp at the same time and make all of our trips even more fun! More fun for us, our little kids, our teenagers, and our friends. The further in advance an area or event the further away people could plan a trip. Is there anyone else who would be interested in something like this???

I'd love that! Hubby and I loved to hike and camp in our courtship and early marriage, gave it up for a few years, and now that the kids are getting older we've started back up again. I'm also in a very camping-active ward and I've been able to go to a few spots I didn't know about with our youth. We're always looking for good places to go! 

I love meeting and spending time with fellow LDS especially while I am traveling.  This is one reason I love attending church (all three blocks) on vacation.  However, I personally am skeptical of arranging meetings with other LDS over the internet.   Especially with my family.  Sorry but I just do not trust the internet - no offense intended to the many good and honest posters on this forum.  It is not so much those responding but all those reading and lurking in the shadows and not so much for me personally but my wife, my children and my grandchildren or a whole different matter.

Oh I didn't get that you meant arranging camping meetups, I just thought you meant sharing our favorite sites. I read too fast sometimes. Unfortunately I agree with Traveler.

Many times we could look at a family and guess that they were LDS. When we asked if they were they were shocked we could tell.

When they have the only dad in the campground who's drinking water and soda instead of starting off the day with a pot of campfire coffee and then demolishing a 12 pack of the cheapest beer in the county, it's pretty obvious.

The idea is to share your favorite spots and sites. But also to announce super cool festivals, and or campgrounds so possibly there would be a good number of members in one place at one time. For instance there is a hot air balloon festival very close to an AWSOME state park every summer. We are going and have let others know about it hoping other members would think it was great too. Then we could run in to each other sometime while there. There is a campground in California that is soooooooo awsome and small it would be just the greatest and most fun time if the entire campground just had Mormons!!! I live on the eastcoast and would fly to california for that !!

The idea is to share your favorite spots and sites. But also to announce super cool festivals, and or campgrounds so possibly there would be a good number of members in one place at one time. For instance there is a hot air balloon festival very close to an AWSOME state park every summer. We are going and have let others know about it hoping other members would think it was great too. Then we could run in to each other sometime while there. There is a campground in California that is soooooooo awsome and small it would be just the greatest and most fun time if the entire campground just had Mormons!!! I live on the eastcoast and would fly to california for that !!

Yes, where is this park? I'm from the People's Republik of Kalifornia.:-)

I will suggest a few of my favorite places and event:

#1.  Na Pali Coast Trail - Hawaii:  This is not a long trail but it is a challenge.  If you camp overnight it will require a reservation and permit.  It is one of the most beautiful places in the world through the greatest rainfall (over 600 inches a year) rainforest in the world.  It is also listed as one of the 10 most dangerous hikes in America - my wife broke her arm two years ago as we were leaving the waterfall.  Getting out with that injury is one of the most difficult vacation efforts of my (our) life but definitely worth the effort - for me - I do not think my wife will take the interior trail to the waterfall again.  I suggest going late in the fall when there is less rainfall.

#2.  Elk Meadows - High Unitas wilderness area.  This is another killer hike in through a couple of miles of switch backs but the views, scenery and fishing (native German Browns) are more than worth it.  If you see anyone else they are likely LDS but chances are you will have this great place all to yourself.  The last trip there I was up at dawn sitting by my little back packing stove cooking breakfast when a cow moose with her calf walked into my camp.  The curious calf walked right up to and nuzzled me as I was sitting just short of its height.  Not an experience you get at public drive in and out campground.

#3.  Salmon bake Payson Utah -- the first Saturday in August.  The salmon is flown in fresh that morning from Alaska and smoked over special pits by the local fire department.  If someone is in the SLC area that time of year the trip down south to Payson is worth it.  The entertainment is local and about on par with ward talent night.  Last year my wife and I sat with royalty - the festival queen and her two attendants - they were all dressed up in dresses kind of out of place for the event but wearing cowboy boots to round out their attire.