Benjamin Netanyahu Speech.

I thought one of the first things he mentioned was how Israel and the U.S. share common destinies.  Promised lands and freedom.  It's interesting knowing what we know about the 2nd coming etc.

That is interesting. It's also embarrassing that our white house is being so disrespectful and petulant. 

The most powerful lines in the speech:

"But I can guarantee you this, the days when the Jewish people remained passive in the face of genocidal enemies, those days are over.  We are no longer scattered among the nations, powerless to defend ourselves. We restored our sovereignty in our ancient home. And the soldiers who defend our home have boundless courage.

For the first time in 100 generations, we, the Jewish people, can defend ourselves.

This is why -- this is why, as a prime minister of Israel, I can promise you one more thing: Even if Israel has to stand alone, Israel will stand."

Did y'all hear the Democratic Party rebuttal speeches?

Just the stupidity of their statements right after a stirring speech from Netanyahu just convinces me, flat out, they're idiots.  Makes me wonder what happened to the JFK-Johnson era democrats.

Edited by anatess

Did y'all hear the Democratic Party rebuttal speeches?

Just the stupidity of their statements right after a stirring speech from Netanyahu just convinces me, flat out, they're idiots.  Makes me wonder what happened to the JFK-Johnson era democrats.

I did not listen to the rebuttal all the way through. Just the facial expression on Pelosi was worth a million. Lol

I am thinking we are seeing an epoch unfold before our very eyes on par with those of the Bible and the Book of Mormon.  If my understanding of prophesy is correct I believe it is likely that Iran will get a nuclear weapon and use it.  I think this is very likely well within 10 years and if so - should shift the time line of the Last Days to much sooner than I was thinking - not sooner than I thought possible - just sooner than I have been thinking.

Hmmmmmmm - is it possible the next president we elect will be the last?

Edited by Traveler

I have an ironic issue with this among my tribe. My son went on study abroad in Jerusalem with BYU and came home with a very negative impression of Bibi and also of Mitt Romney. He also began losing his testimony there. (I just found this last bit out a few weeks ago. )

Bibi he sees as hypocritical because of the settlements and  how they are hurting Palestinians. In the BYU center they have teachers and employees from different cultures and religions teaching courses (along with the BYU professors that go over there with them)  They get a broad view and develop compassion for the other side of that story.  I can sort of get where my son is coming from after reading a book called The Faith Club where a Jew, a Muslim and a Christian woman get together to write a childrens' book about "getting along". They each tell their personal story and you have to wonder which side is really in the right as far as the wars are concerned. 

Then Mitt Romney went to Israel when my son was there and the word on the street was that he was offending people right and left. Mostly the poor. I don't know exactly what he said but my son turned 180 away from Mitt at that point. 

His testimony crisis has more to do with really being exposed in a big way to other religions , visiting mosques, cathedrals, churches etc and "feeling " the spirit there almost more intensely than he ever has in a sacrament meeting. Nothing political. He's quite liberal now. 

All this while studying with "the Lord's University" over there.  Kind of a mess and eye opening for us when this revelation came about. 

Anyway, I didn't listen to all of Netanyahu's speech. What I heard was powerful but I'm easily swayed in any direction so I mostly stay neutral.

• 2 weeks later...

The genocide against the Palestinians he sanctioned in operation cast lead and protective edge, the continued illegal settlement building on Palestinian land, the implementation of an apartheid regime where Palestinians are subjected to a brutal occupation by the Israeli Armed forces, his flagrant disregard for international law, his total unwillingness to follow through with the various peace process agreements dating back to the Oslo accord, the list goes on.

The genocide against the Palestinians he sanctioned in operation cast lead and protective edge, the continued illegal settlement building on Palestinian land, the implementation of an apartheid regime where Palestinians are subjected to a brutal occupation by the Israeli Armed forces, his flagrant disregard for international law, his total unwillingness to follow through with the various peace process agreements dating back to the Oslo accord, the list goes on.

I'm going to confess to not being a big student of the ins and outs of the Israeli/Palestinian/Arab conflict.  However, one side is launching bombs and suicide bombers against civilian targets.  One side has all the surrounding countries clamoring for genocide against Jews.  When a country is under siege by enemies that surround it on all sides, and by an enemy within, then we might hold them to a different standard than we would say our own troops operating in foreign lands. 

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/4695/hamas-terror-tunnels

Edited by prisonchaplain

I'm going to confess to not being a big student of the ins and outs of the Israeli/Palestinian/Arab conflict.  However, one side is launching bombs and suicide bombers against civilian targets.  One side has all the surrounding countries clamoring for genocide against Jews.  When a country is under siege by enemies that surround it on all sides, and by an enemy within, then we might hold them to a different standard than we would say our own troops operating in foreign lands. 

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/4695/hamas-terror-tunnels

If you were a person living in Gaza, what would you do?  You live in a piece of land 25 miles long by 7 miles wide at its widest, your hemmed in on all sides, have no right to free travel outside of the border wall and there is close to 2 million people living in that tiny space.  Your amenities are bombed into dust on a regular basis, there are severe restrictions on the import of most commodities.  You have to spend hours waiting for the possibility of getting through a checkpoint which can close at the drop of a hat on the whim of the soldiers manning it. If you need to attend a hospital or in desperate need of medical help you have to wait in line, no chance of being rushed through.  Premature babies are delivered in ambulances and often die due to not getting to the hospital in time.  What would you do in that situation?  I think I would do as some people in a similar situation did, I would fight to get my freedom back, even in the face of over whelming military forces rained against me, a bit like the Jews in the Warsaw getto in 1943 did.

As for all those countries clamouring for Israel's destruction, since 1973 which of those nations have acted in or directly attacked Israel?  None. However that cannot be said of Israel who seem to think they can attack anyone they wish with little or no threat of repercussions due to the blank cheque of protection afforded them by the US in the United Nations.

The only people who are under siege are the Palestinians, who according to the UN are still an occupied people. 

I'd trade Netanyahu in a heartbeat for our own POTUS, and I'd throw in a thousand bucks of my own money, too. 

So you would trade the president who has improved the over all feeling of good will towards the US whilst in power for a leader who has damaged the global reputation of his nation internationally during his time as leader?  That really makes sense doesn't it! not.

I can think of a few possibilities:

1.  Quit freakin' launching rockets at Israeli civilian populations.  (Over 2,500 of them since early 2012 alone.  Yes, they're done rather incompetently, such that fatalities are minimal; but these numbers nevertheless give the lie to the notion that Israel isn't under attack--the Arab states are just letting the Palestinians do their dirty work for them.)

2.  Quit kidnapping Israeli nationals.

3.  Quit digging tunnels under the border for the purpose of facilitating smuggling, kidnappings, or raids.

4.  Quit allowing rocket launchers, supply depots, etc. to be set up on the rooftops of homes, hospitals, and schools.

5.  Use all my efforts as a citizen of Gaza to persuade fellowcitizens to follow 1-4 above.

6.  Elect a government that will make a serious effort at following 1-4 above.

7.  Lobby the UN to place a permanent, non-Arab peacekeeping force in Gaza.

8.  When the UN gives me money for infrastructure--use it for infrastructure, rather than for military development.

9.  Present a cohesive plan, to Israel and the world, as to how you're going to keep an independent Gaza from becoming another staging ground from which to launch raids against the Israeli heartland, and how you're going to keep it from becoming an ISIS- or Iranian-dominated cesspool.

10.  Lobby Egypt and the UN into opening its southern border with Gaza.  (It's not just those awful, awful Joos who are starving the Gazans into submission.  The Egyptians don't want anything to do with the place either--because they know it's a security nightmare.)

Edited by Just_A_Guy