Resignation procedure

mrbt

I was converted to LDS church member eleven years ago when I was 25. Now I am 36. It was difficult to get accustomed to the LDS community notwithstanding the difficulties of living in a new country as an Asian. After attending the church for 3 years in UT and ID, I moved to another state and dropped my attendance in church. Then I had to return back to my home country and since have been living with my parents for 7 years. My country is predominantly Buddhist and I find it difficult to live by LDS standards.

Although I have been inactive for over 8 years, I have been thinking of officially resigning from the LDS church. I think this way is better off because sometimes I feel guilty that I left the church without notifying.

Can anyone tell me if the LDS church standards require an official resignation when someone leaves the church? Or is being inactive enough evidence that I cancelled my covenant? I have heard that some other religions do require such official resignation. I appreciate your help. 

I'm a little confused as to why you're asking your question... are you wanting to to officially resign from the church because you no longer believe, or because you just can't attend?

Addressing your question itself, when a person is baptized in the LDS church, they promise with the Lord to take the name of Christ, always remember Him, keep His commandment, to mourn with those that mourn, and to stand as a witness of God in all times in all places.  God in turn promises to always be with us.

The church won't ever kick you off the rolls just cause we haven't seen you in a while.  If you're in a place that you can't attend church, you can still pray and study the scriptures and such.  

If a person isn't living up to their promises to God, the church also doesn't kick you off the rolls automatically. Rather it is the purpose of the church to help us better keep the Gospel of God, even when we screw up.   If someone doesn't want the church's help, that's ok (their choice).  Maybe they're change their mind in the future.

If a person does want to officially resign their covenants with God and church membership, they can also do that.  To do so, you write a letter to your bishop and/or Salt Lake.  

Thanks for the help. Jane-Doe suggested that I have two options either write to local bishop or to Salt Lake. If I write directly to Salt Lake, where do I address it to. I am not really familiar with the church's organizational structure. I know that the main headquarter is in Salt Lake and that's basically all I know. I suppose there is a office of records of members, but how is that department named? 

Thanks for the help. Jane-Doe suggested that I have two options either write to local bishop or to Salt Lake. If I write directly to Salt Lake, where do I address it to. I am not really familiar with the church's organizational structure. I know that the main headquarter is in Salt Lake and that's basically all I know. I suppose there is a office of records of members, but how is that department named?

If you write to Salt Lake they will send the letter to the Stake President who then will contact your Bishop and give the letter to him and he will still have to fill out the paperwork to have your name removed. If you know who the Bishop is ...it would be quicker to just send it to him.

If you write to Salt Lake they will send the letter to the Stake President who then will contact your Bishop and give the letter to him and he will still have to fill out the paperwork to have your name removed. If you know who the Bishop is ...it would be quicker to just send it to him.

Yeah, Palerider is right, I was wrong (sorry).

Not showing up doesn't cancel our covenants. Having our names removed also doesn't change the fact that we made a promise to God either. I am not sure you really need to have your name removed, but hey, it is completely your choice. 

You can go to LDS.org and search for your ward building by your past address. It will tell you who the bishop was. 

Best wishes. 

I was converted to LDS church member eleven years ago when I was 25. Now I am 36. It was difficult to get accustomed to the LDS community notwithstanding the difficulties of living in a new country as an Asian. After attending the church for 3 years in UT and ID, I moved to another state and dropped my attendance in church. Then I had to return back to my home country and since have been living with my parents for 7 years. My country is predominantly Buddhist and I find it difficult to live by LDS standards.

Although I have been inactive for over 8 years, I have been thinking of officially resigning from the LDS church. I think this way is better off because sometimes I feel guilty that I left the church without notifying.

Can anyone tell me if the LDS church standards require an official resignation when someone leaves the church? Or is being inactive enough evidence that I cancelled my covenant? I have heard that some other religions do require such official resignation. I appreciate your help. 

I mailed my resignation letter to Church Headquarters the first month of January 2015. I requested not to be contacted by the bishop and was not. I received an official confirmation letter in early February. If you are concerned about someone walking over to your front door, you can also leave a post-it note stating that you don't want any further contact from church members, and I'm sure you'll be left alone.

According to Bini it is possible to write directly to the headquarters. But the headquarter is a giant building, and I want to address my mail to the right department. Do you know how it is called? Office of records? I am not able to find this department on my own. 
I know my last stake and ward and the bishop's name when I last attended the church 8 years ago. I also know the date that I was baptized. I never got the temple confirmation. Will it be enough info to track my record? 

For the past 8 years I have been living in my home country which is a half way across the globe. My long time ago friends are now bishops at my local stakes, so I don't want to go to them.