What are some novelties found around the world?

Bini

Thought this would be interesting and insightful. For those of you that have had the opportunity to travel to another country, what are some novelties found there, that are not common back home? Fun stories and pictures are welcomed.

So, got talking on another forum and someone mentioned how they prefer bidets to toilet paper, and felt quite awkward visiting America, where the practice of using bidets are non-existent. Having lived in Portugal for several years, I do recall the normalcy of using bidets, every household had one. So, I guess bidets are somewhat of a novelty here in the US.

bidet-comeback-1.jpg

Bidets may be common in Europe, but my first highway rest area in Italy found nothing more than a hole in the floor. I have seen that many times in my travels. It was fun using that on a moving boat in Thailand.

In the toilet theme, many countries also don't want you to put paper in the toilet, so every toilet has a trashcan next to it (bring your own paper).

Eating grubs on a stick in Peru (raw or roasted). Having an armadillo rubbed over you on New Years Day (also Peru).

From Japan:

Foods that still move when served on your table.

I was gonna link some videos of the dancing squid and the frog and the breathing fish... but thought... nah, might cause heart tremors on lds.net. :)

ah.. per the mode of transportation...

There is a large city on the Amazon (Iquitos) that is accessible only by air and river. They have some cars and buses because the rich can get them shipped in, but the primary taxi is a "motocar" three wheeled motorcyle with a bench for passengers. They are far more prevelent than the Tuk-Tuks used in places like Thailand, because land accesible cities still have more cars.

Only in America:

Ridiculously and staggeringly gigantic movie snacks.

The small size drink in AMC theaters is 32 ounces. The large size is 64 ounces... WITH FREE REFILL! The Kid Pak carries a 24-ounce softdrink. And... new in my neighborhood theater - "fill this soda cup yourself from the bajillion-flavor soda machines as many times as you like". And then there's the ginormous popcorn bucket...

Popcorn--CC-Naydeeyah.jpg

And in South Korea: Well... it's gotta be the K-POP scene. They have training centers for kpop that kids enroll in. Kinda like pop warner football in the USA.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQmpVHUi-0A

edit: Pam... are y'all changing the bbcodes filter? Imbedded video doesn't work anymore.

Edited by pam

Anatess I haven't changed a thing.  All I did was copy the url from the video and post it and the video came up.

That didn't used to work like that when we switched to this new software. You put a video url, it is treated like a regular url. To get it imbedded, it needed the video bbcode tags.

That didn't used to work like that when we switched to this new software. You put a video url, it is treated like a regular url. To get it imbedded, it needed the video bbcode tags.

That is all I did though. Copied the url from the address bar and it came up.  It's always done it for me that way when we switched.

In the old version we had the ability to embed videos turned off.

That is all I did though. Copied the url from the address bar and it came up.  It's always done it for me that way when we switched.

In the old version we had the ability to embed videos turned off.

You got magic powers, pam!