I have a friend that is questioning the church. We are discussing families being sealed together. He doesn't believe it's necessary, that he will be with his family automatically. About 14 years ago, our ward did a fireside/presentation about that. They put all the childrens names in a hat, and then one by one drew them out, indicating which child was to be sealed to their parents. What they didn't tell the "audience" was that they left one childs name out, to show the loneliness of not being sealed, but even they didn't know which one it was. It was a random draw. It turned out to be the younges child that wasn't picked. It was very emotional and made a strong point. Another ward did the same program a few years later so that leads me to believe that HOPEFULLY it was something written in maybe a New Era or by BYU and not just something they thought up. I feel strongly that I need to show this to him. Any ideas would be great. Thank you. :)

It is hard to tell with just one post but it seems to me that you are missing his real concern.

It sounds like he already believes that families will be together... Therefore he already accepts and understands the tragedy of someone not making it.  Pounding on that point will get you no where.

It seems more like he doesn't accept that God would require someone to be Mormon to get this blessing.  And given our temple work he is not entirely wrong on that.  It think you are better off going with how God is a God of order and showing how God has it organized (per the LDS understandings and Doctrine) so that all might have this great blessing if they wish it.

My sister believes that, too. It's a matter of not believing in priesthood authority, at least in her case. In her mind, God loves her so much that He would never keep her apart from her family.

I don't know if this is how your friend sees it. Perhaps he simply doesn't understand priesthood authority rather than not actually believing in it at all. In which case i would give him resources on learning about the priesthood.

One conference talk that comes to mind, if his thinking is anything like my sister's, is one from several years back called Love and Law by Elder Dallin H. Oaks.  Here's a link if your interested: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2009/10/love-and-law?lang=eng

First, I think that was a terrible object lesson. There is no point in invoking that deep an emotion. Were the children present? If someone did that to a child, I would consider it abuse.

I think the sealing is about the blessings of the Celestial kingdom and not about whether or not we are able to associate with our families. For that reason, your friend may rightly believe he can be associated with his family. He simply hasn't learned the greater lesson of exaltation.

Someone in early learning doesn't need to learn those deeper gospel principles. I wouldn't force the point. Line upon line. There are other things to learn.

I have a friend that is questioning the church. We are discussing families being sealed together. He doesn't believe it's necessary, that he will be with his family automatically. About 14 years ago, our ward did a fireside/presentation about that. They put all the childrens names in a hat, and then one by one drew them out, indicating which child was to be sealed to their parents. What they didn't tell the "audience" was that they left one childs name out, to show the loneliness of not being sealed, but even they didn't know which one it was. It was a random draw. It turned out to be the younges child that wasn't picked. It was very emotional and made a strong point. Another ward did the same program a few years later so that leads me to believe that HOPEFULLY it was something written in maybe a New Era or by BYU and not just something they thought up. I feel strongly that I need to show this to him. Any ideas would be great. Thank you. :)

I object to lessons who's point is just to scare you (like the hat lesson).  A lesson should focus on finding faith in Christ, not being a monster under the bed.

As to your friend OP, give him time and be there for him.  Learning will happen on his and the Lord's time.

RDaniel, I would actually agree with your friend--I also reject the notion that a sealing is necessary to "be together".  The phrases "be together" and "together forever" are, as far as I can remember, entirely absent from the sealing ritual. 

"Continuation of family relationships" is technically accurate; but that's only a starting point.  From there we're supposed to learn about heirships and lineages and inheritances, the better to understand how our own legacies and blessings and triumphs will redound to the benefit of our ancestors and descendants--and theirs, to us.

This bit about temple rites as a prerequisite for "being together" is, to my mind, schmaltzy and inaccurate; and the firesides you describe strike me as horrifyingly manipulative.