Religion-bashing from a professional organization

Litzy

Last Friday, my school hosted a suicide prevention course, needed by teachers in my building for teacher licensing. Two volunteers from a suicide prevention group spoke to us and one was... extremely unprofessional and kept spouting things that had everyone exchanging awkward looks and lead to quite the discussion after that and today.

Despite an official mention in the group's literature that religious organizations can help prevent suicide, this volunteer kept going on weird personal tangents about the horrors all these churches (listed specifically either by official religion or community church name) had committed. After her partner mentioned the official literature, she broke in with another tangent of "Well, that just isn't true..."

It was very weird, to say the least.

I suppose her bad experiences are as valid as anything, but it didn't seem to be the time or place for it.

Some of us were wondering if we ought to bring this up to her superiors.

I wonder if we saw the same lady. Ours told us about a suicide prevention event--followed by "I know it's the same day as your conference weekend but you'll just have to get over it." And she also brought up a list of other churches with choice comments.

I think our principal lodged a complaint. This was over a month ago.

I wonder if we saw the same lady. Ours told us about a suicide prevention event--followed by "I know it's the same day as your conference weekend but you'll just have to get over it." And she also brought up a list of other churches with choice comments.

Perhaps I don't understand but it makes me wonder how a person with attitude like that could work in such a field.

My goodness, we may have seen the same lady. I'd say let's exchange her card information to make certain but the better part of me thinks that'd be against forum rules.

This one also announced herself a volunteer, so I don't think she was being paid.

I still think it's inappropriate for her position, especially when she found herself contradicting the organization's literature.