Progression: Smarter, Not Harder

james12

There is a though provoking scripture in D&C 76. Speaking of the inhabitants of the telestial world we read, "These are they who say they are some of one and some of another - some of Christ and some of John, and some of Moses, and some of Elias, and some of Esaias, and some of Isaiah, and some of Enoch; but received not the gospel, neither the testimony of Jesus, neither the prophets, neither the everlasting covenant" (D&C 76:100-101). Some of these individuals say they are Christ's people and yet the Lord says they received not the gospel. How is it that they can be so deceived? 

Here is another, Mormon testifies, "Wherefore, a man being evil cannot do that which is good; neither will he give a good gift. For behold, a bitter fountain cannot bring forth good water; neither can a good fountain bring forth bitter water; wherefore, a man being a servant of the devil cannot follow Christ; and if he follow Christ he cannot be a servant of the devil" (Moroni 7:10-11). Wait a minute, isn't to do good to be good? Yet Mormon tells us this is not the case. In fact a servant of the devil cannot follow Christ. How then does this servant change?

In these and other scriptures we can find an important truth. It appears a person can work hard here on earth, and yet find themselves far from the kingdom of heaven when all is said and done. My questions then are these: How does one best progress here on earth? Is there a way to work smarter not harder? Can a person move faster (for lack of a better word) along progressions highway? How? And finally, how can a person know he is obtaining eternal life here and now?

All of Lectures on Faith. It was structured purposefully to teach how faith leads to knowledge. But one must first understand precisely in who one exercises faith in order to produce the intended result. I suppose you could skip Lecture Two, but then you might end up working harder and not smarter in the long run. Nephi emphasizes in  ch. 32 concisely what LoF analyses and examines meticulously. In short, we must understand what it means to pray and not faint; understand the manner in which God has appointed to come unto Christ. 

Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost. They speak the words of Christ. Feast upon the words of Christ. The Holy Ghost will tell you what to do (pray that your performance will be consecrated for the welfare of your soul). Pray and not faint. Or in other words:

D&C 93:Verily, thus saith the Lord: It shall come to pass that every soul who forsaketh his sins and cometh unto me, and calleth on my name, and obeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall see my face andknow that I am

The problem is that it is not about you knowing for your sake.  It is about service, forgetting yourself, loving G-d and loving others.

Who could argue with service and loving others. But there is something important that must happen internally is there not? I mean, you could end up like the woman in the Mormon Message entitled "You Never Know" https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2014-00-008-you-never-know?lang=eng. She served all day but at the end of the day she was wasted and depleted and broke down in tears. I would say her service did not help her to progress that day. 

What then is the difference between service that lifts us up and service that tears us down?

The difference is asking God what His will is concerning you and how you become an instrument in His hands for others. You have to have knowledge from God that what you are doing is according to His will. It's precise. We just went in a circle. 

1 Nephi 15:8 ...Have ye inquired of the Lord?

The difference is asking God what His will is concerning you and how you become an instrument in His hands for others. You have to have knowledge from God that what you are doing is according to His will. It's precise. We just went in a circle. 

Yet on a day to day, and moment basis, it is not so precise. He does not reveal to us every moment what we should be doing. The right form of prayer definitely gets us closer to God but often we ask the Lord and then for whatever reason not hear an answer. I submit this is the more regular state of things. So what is missing? Is it faith only? After all we had faith enough to pray? 

In my experience, just having the mind of God with you is all the connection you need once you have cleansed the inward vessel. Theophanies and visitations are not necessary for daily communication when He speaks to your mind. Perhaps I can distill it somewhat. If you have received the gift of the Holy Ghost, having been baptized with fire and are a new creature, I suggest your next step is to seek your calling and election until it is made sure. Joseph Smith continually emphasized this admonishing the saints to "go on to perfection." When it is time and in His own due time, He will come suddenly to His temple (you).

It is a very solitary journey, and not easy. You will learn what it truly means to have a broken heart and a contrite spirit.  You must walk your own valley of the shadow of death. The endowment ceremony is your biggest clue. It is a type and a shadow of the journey you take as you journey in your lone and dreary wilderness and make your way to the veil to converse with the Lord as the brother of Jared. You won't find any discourses today on such matters. You have to dig into either the Book of Mormon (it's all laid out there) or study Joseph Smith's teachings. His work wasn't done, but he left us plenty of material to use.

The premise upon which the question is based is flawed. There is no smarter in contrast to harder. There is only the right way and the wrong way. Smarter isn't in opposition to working hard. Smarter is working hard in the right way.

The question is, and always has been, simply, what is the right way?

Then go and do.

The premise upon which the question is based is flawed. There is no smarter in contrast to harder. There is only the right way and the wrong way. Smarter isn't in opposition to working hard. Smarter is working hard in the right way.

The question is, and always has been, simply, what is the right way?

Then go and do.

So you do acknowledge there is a right way to progress. I don't see this as significantly different from what I mean when I say the "smart" way. The "smart" way is the "right" way. There is perhaps a difference of opinion when I contrast harder with smarter. It appears you believe the right way is also the hard way. So, I would ask what is the right way? And what makes it hard? 

You know, sometimes smarter is harder. Did Nephi have to endure the harsh desert journey? Did Joseph Smith have to endure a harsh winter at liberty jail? Did Jesus Christ have to suffer in Gethsemane and die on a cross? Jeremiah needed to stay in Jerusalem. Lehi needed to leave. Both obtained the same reward. While we are all sojourners in this lone and dreary wilderness alike, our paths, though similar, are unique. Rather than say there is the right way and the wrong way to do something, I prefer to say about their being two ways is there is the right way and there is again. James12, while we all must carry our own crosses, the Lord's plan for each of us is customized. There is only the right way for you. Again, have ye inquired of the Lord?

Edited by skalenfehl

You know, sometimes smarter is harder. Did Nephi have to endure the harsh desert journey? Did Joseph Smith have to endure a harsh winter at liberty jail? Did Jesus Christ have to suffer in Gethsemane and die on a cross? Jeremiah needed to stay in Jerusalem. Lehi needed to leave. Both obtained the same reward. While we are all sojourners in this lone and dreary wilderness alike, our paths, though similar, are unique. Rather than say there is the right way and the wrong way to do something, I prefer to say about their being two ways is there is the right way and there is again. James12, while we all must carry our own crosses, the Lord's plan for each of us is customized. There is only the right way for you. Again, have ye inquired of the Lord?

Indeed I have inquired, and found much of what you have discussed. What's more I will continue to inquire until the Lord sees fit to bless me with all he has promised, in his own due time and in his own way.

If smarter is harder why does Jesus say, "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me..for my yoke is easy, and my burden is light" (Math 11:28-29)? Or why does Joseph say, "I am going like a lamb to the slaughter but am calm as a summers morning"? 

Because without being yoked to Christ, we become yoked to the adversary. Which would really be harder? Which do yo prefer?   ;)

Taking his yoke upon me of course, or in other words, living the way he lived. So have you changed your opinion? Is Christ's way easy and light? 

Then what is the right way?

I'm...not...sure...how...what...huh...  Are you seriously asking this?

Let's see. Faith. Repentance. Baptism and The Gift of the Holy Ghost. Endure to the End. Keep the commandments. Priesthood for men. Temple ordinances. Serve. Fulfill callings with honor. Read/study scriptures. Pray. Fast. Pay tithing. Faith. Hope. Charity. Long-suffering. Patience. Humility. Peace-making. Honesty. Honor thy father and mother. Don't commit adultery. Don't look upon someone to lust after them. Do as Jesus taught. Follow Him. Feed His sheep. Keep His commandments.

Should I keep going?

Oh...wait. I don't need to. These things are all plainly taught in the scriptures, at conference, in church... And, of course, you already know all of this. So why are you asking me what the right way is?

Taking his yoke upon me of course, or in other words, living the way he lived. So have you changed your opinion? Is Christ's way easy and light? 

If you are yoked to Him, it is easy and light. It's all relative. Is all the pain associated with sin and death easy? Considering it's temporary if one endures it well, yes!

I'm...not...sure...how...what...huh...  Are you seriously asking this?

Let's see. Faith. Repentance. Baptism and The Gift of the Holy Ghost. Endure to the End. Keep the commandments. Priesthood for men. Temple ordinances. Serve. Fulfill callings with honor. Read/study scriptures. Pray. Fast. Pay tithing. Faith. Hope. Charity. Long-suffering. Patience. Humility. Peace-making. Honesty. Honor thy father and mother. Don't commit adultery. Don't look upon someone to lust after them. Do as Jesus taught. Follow Him. Feed His sheep. Keep His commandments.

Should I keep going?

Oh...wait. I don't need to. These things are all plainly taught in the scriptures, at conference, in church... And, of course, you already know all of this. So why are you asking me what the right way is?

Because, it appears you know the dance but at times don't hear the music. As evidence I would ask you to review your above response. You have outlined the list of "to do's" and yet are condescending in your reply. Why? We can practice all the forms but if that is all we do I think we will find ourselves outside the kingdom. The fact of the matter is, "the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life" (2 Cor 3:6). This gospel is not so much a set of rules as it is a symphony. We must hear and feel our way forward. If we do, I believe the oppression of what we took as the gospel disappears. What at one time was hard is actually the simplest path forward. And while external circumstances may crumble around us in our hearts we are full of light and joy. 

Because, it appears you know the dance but at times don't hear the music. As evidence I would ask you to review your above response. You have outlined the list of "to do's" and yet are condescending in your reply. Why? We can practice all the forms but if that is all we do I think we will find ourselves outside the kingdom. The fact of the matter is, "the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life" (2 Cor 3:6). This gospel is not so much a set of rules as it is a symphony. We must hear and feel our way forward. If we do, I believe the oppression of what we took as the gospel disappears. What at one time was hard is actually the simplest path forward. And while external circumstances may crumble around us in our hearts we are full of light and joy.

James, you ask a question and when given the answer you pass judgment on the giver of the answer.

You expect a one liner - like an EASY one-size-fits-all answer. There is none. CHOOSE THE RIGHT. Every second of every minute of every hour. Repent when you fail. If you think that is condescending then you go and choose what you think is better. Don't bother pointing it out to TFP... because, pointing out his sins means you already know the answer. Every single day especially every single Sunday, somebody is teaching you what is RIGHT. But, none of that matters... NONE. Unless you humble yourself on your knees and have the Holy Spirit manifest that truth of what is right to you.

Edited by anatess

None of this changes one bit what "the right way" is. Even if your severe judgment of me is 100% accurate, my weaknesses are irrelevant to what that way is.

The way is Jesus. Jesus taught to keep His commandments. The implication (which is accurate) that keeping them with an unwilling heart or only going through the letter without the right spirit* is insufficient doesn't mean that having the right spirit and a willing heart changes what we are to do. We are still to keep the commandments. They are the way as given by Jesus.

Your whole reply is a pretty big non-sequitur.

* I might add that supposedly keeping the commandments with an unwilling heart and the wrong spirit is not actually keeping them at all, as part of the commandments include a willing heart and having the proper spirit. So neener. ;)